LETTER: T-SPLOST looks like a Trojan horse

First, it was a transportation expansion bill, then a congestion fix, now it's a jobs bill. It is none of those. It is largely local economic development projects which local governments should fund with their own monies. Look at the project list. I found only two projects that will affect me and only a handful of times per year. If you check, you will find that most of your taxes will not go to improve your commute either.

If approved, when it ends in 10 years, it will leave behind programs which cannot survive without additional funding, which means you will be taxed again to fund these "critical" projects that T-SPLOST created. Think Ga. 400 and I-85 HOT lane tolls. You will soon see politicians moving to change the project list. They were never sincere about this, they just saw it for what it is: a convenient vehicle to take in more taxes for their desired use.

No on the regional T-SPLOST. Keep our tax money out of the hands of an unaccountable "regional authority." Let's keep these "special" tax bills exclusively in-county. Let's keep them local and accountable to we the taxpayers.

-- Arthur Dent

Lawrenceville

Comments

JimmyOrr 2 years ago

Mr. Dent, AMEN, AMEN, & AMEN! You really shucked the corn with your thought provoking letter to the editor. Bottom line? Vote NO to TSPLOST! Keep what amounts to a bailout for MARTA, the City of Atlanta, and a developer's project wish list from becoming a financial albatross around the necks of we taxpayers.

Mack711 2 years ago

Let's go one step at at time. No matter what Gwinnett votes the other counties in the Atlanta region also has a vote.We know how Fulton and Dekalb will vote. With that in mind do we know how the other counties will vote? Should this issue pass in the other counties then we will have to pay even if we vote NO! That is the other side of the coin. We all agree with Mr. Dent that this measure should not pass and will not help in Gwinnett. But we are at the mercy of the other counties in our region. Let's hope that the other counties see this the same as Mr. Dent, If not the we will be a part of something we vote down.

JimmyOrr 2 years ago

Mack, you are exactly right. The decision will be predicated on an up or down vote via the total of the votes compiled from the ten counties within our regional transportation district as to whether TSPLOST passes or fails. Don't count Fulton and DeKalb in the "Yes" column yet. Especially the folks up in North Fulton county which represents a large number of votes. It would not surprsie me to see a vote of 68% AGAINST and 32% FOR.

rco1847 2 years ago

Mack - we don't know how Dekalb and Fulton will vote - I vote NO on TSplost because I have seen 3 out of 5 commissioners resign-in-disgrace here in Gwinnett within 18 months and there maybe be another soon. We have more commissioners resigning and being shadowed by their criminal offenses that we have commissioners completing full terms. And gee - they're all Republicans. So I doubt the folks across the county line are any better or worse..

I don't want another dime entrusted to any elected official or buSINess organization in this state. Gov. Deal was just fined for campaign ethics offenses. Are we surprised?

Big money can buy all the advertising they want and they can tell all the lies they want, but I'll bet the people are too fed up - all politics aside - to trust anyone right now. These tax proponents and supporters all have a vested interest and it doesn't involve you or me. I want to see an end to EZ-Pass - one of the most conspicuous disregards for public opinion I've ever seen. It ranks right up there with Sarah Palin's road to no where. When all the TAX AND BIG SPENDERS in business and government restore some TRUST in our society we my funding of civic projects more seriously. Meanwhile, I'll shove it down their throats every chance I get. And, if the Chamber of Communists wants to play a role, they might sweep off their own back pourch for a change.

ACC12_SEC13Booster 2 years ago

If many of the latest polls are any indication, Fulton and DeKalb counties are leaning towards voting AGAINST the T-SPLOST at the moment along with what is probably every other county in the Metro Atlanta region, though I agree with you that we can't know how those two counties will vote for sure as we can't be sure if the powers-that-be might not have desperately found a bunch of naive and gullible young voters to support this monstrousity in the face of what looks to be certain defeat in the waning hours of the T-SPLOST campaign, which has been targeting young voters as of late out of desperation.

{{"New poll shows voters not convinced".... ..."A new Channel 2 Action News/Rosetta Stone Communications poll shows voters are not yet convinced".... ....."Thirty-five percent of the registered voters polled said they'll vote for the measure. Fifty-five percent said they oppose the tax."}} http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/both-sides-hit-streets-over-tsplost-vote/nP5YY/

ACC12_SEC13Booster 2 years ago

As for your wanting to see an end to EZ Pass, I wouldn't bet on it as word is going around that the Feds are likely to implement congestion pricing on all Metro Atlanta Interstates (I-20, I-75, I-85, I-285, I-575, I-675, I-985) as a way to clear them of excessive local traffic and keep them moving for out-of-state and through traffic since the state has basically refused to expand the freeway system over the last two decades to accommodate increasing out-of-state and through traffic (especially freight truck traffic).

That means that instead of just one lane in each direction having adjustable tolls on it like the I-85 HOT Lanes, ALL lanes on the Interstate will have tolls on them to force all one and two-passenger vehicles off the roads at the very least, meaning the I-85 HOT Lanes are just a run-through for the much bigger application of that concept that is looming in the future, no matter whether or not the T-SPLOST passes or fails.

That means that in the not-too-distant future, the only way that North Georgia drivers are going to be able to ride on the freeway system in Metro Atlanta is to be in a bus, or a carpool or pay exorbitantly high tolls of between $20-40/daily as the Feds clear the Interstates of excess local traffic since our political "leaders" haven't had enough sense to expand them as needed over the last two decades and refuse to expand them in the future as GDOT has repeatedly stated that they will not be adding anymore untolled lanes to the freeway system.

ACC12_SEC13Booster 2 years ago

T-SPLOST is nothing but a naked money grab by politicians and their well-connected cronies in the business community, particularly in the roadbuilding, land spectulation, land development, real estate, construction and consulting fields.

The T-SPLOST is totally unnecessary especially seeing-as-though the Feds are going to put congestion pricing in the form of adjustable tolls on all Metro Atlanta Interstates whether the T-SPLOST passes or not.

Passage of the bare-minimal smoke-and-mirrors T-SPLOST would have only maybe (but not really) slightly-delayed the inevitable of congestion pricing and forced mass transit usage by the Feds.

dentaldawg83 1 year, 12 months ago

this "regional" approach where other counties could force us to have to pay is blatant taxation without representation; and even worse add another layer of government in a state where there are more government employees per capita than most states already..

this vote isn't just about saying no to multiple boondoggles, but to make the governing establishment start to understand that their "reign" is in serious jeopardy by trying to push this on us private citizens.