Back-to-back goals end Silverbacks' win streak

ATLANTA -- Sixty three minutes into Saturday's game, Atlanta had been winning most of the good chances on goal, including a shot off the post. But in the next two minutes, the game completely changed.

Serisay Barthelemy put Edmonton FC on the board in the 64th minute, and Yashir Pinto doubled the tally after a bad clearance by goalkeeper Joe Nasco a minute later, leading the Eddies to a 2-1 win over Atlanta.

The loss put Edmonton (4-4-9, 16 points) back on top of the Silverbacks (3-5-10, 14 points) in the standings, sending them back into last place.

"We gave it to them," Silverbacks interim coach Eric Wynalda said. "I thought the first half was poor. We made an adjustment, and I think bringing Danny (Barerra) into the game helped a great deal. We started to find our feet a little bit, and then the goal came at the worst time."

Both teams started out the game sluggish, but play picked up about 15 minutes in. Ciaran O'Brien gave three good services into the box in a period of three minutes, but forwards Matt Horth and Brookwood grad Jahbari Willis couldn't connect to get Atlanta on the board.

Nasco made a clearance with his feet in the 21st minute and a save with his right hand in the 32nd that kept the game scoreless before the half.

Barrera came in at halftime for Willis, which pushed Central grad Borfor "Buff" Carr up front with Horth. Atlanta created a lot of chances early in the second half, but none of them could connect.

And then in the 64th and 65th minute, Edmonton struck with its goals.

"That second goal really knocked the wind out of us, especially because we were going at it," Barerra said. "It was good to get (one goal) back. We kept attacking and didn't give up."

Carr, who along with Barerra had a good shot on goal in the second half, was also disappointed to let the game slip away.

"The first half, we were very flat," Carr said. "It was bad soccer from everyone. ... Second half, we made some adjustments, came out very strong, had a few opportunities. I had a shot on goal. It was very strong. But we made two mistakes in the back, and they made us pay for it."

Horth was taken down in the box in the 71st minute with a hard tackle from behind by Jonathan Joseph Augustin. The Edmonton defender was given a straight red card, and Horth was helped off after staying down for about three minutes. Since Atlanta had used all three subs, it was a 10-on-10 match.

O'Brien knocked home a penalty kick, and Atlanta seemed energized for the rest of the game. Horth came back onto the field in the 80th minute, but the Silverbacks couldn't use the man advantage for the final 10 minutes plus six minutes of stoppage time to get an equalizer.