Monday, July 16, 2012
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
NORCROSS -- A Sunday evening house fire in the 3500 block of Corners Way in Norcross displaced a married couple who had been repairing a bathroom, officials said.
A neighbor reported smoke at the home about 6:50 p.m., and firefighters had the blaze controlled in less than 30 minutes. It caused extensive damage to a second-floor bathroom, the attic and a portion of the roof, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
No one was home at the time, and no injuries were reported.
Rutledge said the occupants, a married couple, returned home after being alerted to the fire by neighbors. They had reportedly been doing minor plumbing work in the bathroom prior to leaving to go to the store.
Investigators believe the blaze started in the bathroom and was accidental.
"It's unknown whether the work being done contributed to the fire erupting," Rutledge said.
The displaced couple declined Red Cross assistance, Rutledge said.