Midnight hijinks on golf course could cost teens thousands

James Cardwell

James Cardwell

photo

Cameron Brothers

SUGAR HILL -- Late-night hijinks on a city-owned golf course in Sugar Hill could cost two beer-swilling teens thousands of dollars for repairs, officials said Tuesday.

Suwanee residents Cameron Brothers, 18, and James Cardwell, 19, are accused of taking a four-wheeler on a midnight joyride at the Sugar Hill Golf Club on July 4, ripping through sand bunkers, doing "donuts" on greens, laying tracks across the course and plowing a costly sprinkler system, according to police.

Police traced the ATV's tracks into woods, along a trail and to a house about a half-mile away, where both teens were arrested early the next morning and charged with criminal damage to property in the second degree, a felony, and possession of alcohol by a minor. They have since been freed from the Gwinnett County Jail on $1,900 bond each.

Sugar Hill City Clerk Jane Whittington said Tuesday the vandalism is having a lasting impact at the course.

The city has had to consult with outside vendors to fix the computer-controlled irrigation boxes that were ruined. Whittington expects the final cost of damages will land between $10,000 and $15,000.

"As soon as we get our quotes in, we will be fixing (the irrigation system) immediately," she said. "It's very hot outside."

Once confronted by police, Brothers and Cardwell admitted to causing the damage and repeatedly offered to pay for it, according to police reports.

Police reportedly found telltale Natural Light beer cans at the course, on the trail and at the home where the teens were staying.

Both suspects reeked of booze when confronted by police about 5 a.m., a report states.

"(The suspects) said they had been drinking alcohol during the night and were extremely intoxicated when they were causing the damage," one officer wrote.

Comments

jjbod1 2 years, 3 months ago

Idiots!! The city needs to sue them for the full amount of damage, and if they dont pay, then sit in jail and rot.

chasmcjr 2 years, 3 months ago

The city will never recover that money.

Bruce 2 years, 3 months ago

I bet they had parents who encouraged and enabled them to be 'free spirits" while ignoring the fact they would one day get into trouble for not respecting the other people and their property.

FordGalaxy 2 years, 3 months ago

It wasn't too long ago that I was 18 and 19 years old, and I don't remember ever finding it fun to willfully destroy the property of someone else. Granted it may have soemthing to do with how I was raised...

Dubbin 2 years, 3 months ago

It is within the perview of the judge who hears the case to make these two pay up - restitution for property damage is considered a part of sentencing for any crime. The reason criminals get away with so much in our society is because of judges who keep letting them walk away with a slap on the wrist.

chasmcjr 2 years, 3 months ago

yea, yea yea.... I know but you can't get blood from a turnip... Restitution is ordered but the reality of the matter is the jails are bursting at the seams already and most judges won't put an teenager in jail just for not being able to pay that much restitution. Unless Mama and Daddy chip in, it will take years and years (if ever) before the city gets reimbursed through the court system.

Bob44 2 years, 3 months ago

I believe it's not a parenting issue. 18 year-old in today's society believe they are ten-feet-tall-and-bulletproof, regardless of how they are raised (most of the time; but there ARE exceptions). They simply don't think of the ramifications of their actions until they learn first-hand what they have to deal with after they break something.

I know one of the parents of one of the boys, and I know they didn't raise their son to be a "free spirit". Also, I don't condone what he did and does indeed need to be held accountable and be responsible for his actions; I just don't blame his parents like many others of you out there. How many of your own children do exactly what you tell them to do, to the letter? Now, make that child an 18 year-old who believes he should now be an adult and is therefore free to make his own decisions. Is his actions still his parent's fault? I say no.

vanekjohn 2 years, 3 months ago

First, they should be ordered to get their sorry butts to the course and fix the damage. Then pay for it, which I doubt they could because they were drinking Natural light. At this time they have payed $190 each to get out of jail. Both are really a couple of loosers.

CD 2 years, 3 months ago

Where's Winegarden when you need him? I think a little abuse by the judicial may be warranted here.

Gundoctor1 2 years, 3 months ago

Ford Galaxy is exactly right. One exception.

It was a very long time ago when I was 18 - 19, and my friends and I did some very stupid things, but destroying property was not one of them. What in the world is up with these kids?? I can tell you in very few words. They are not held accountable, and they know they will not be. Well, hopefully these two will get a judge like me that will hold them accountable in a very harsh way. Not only would they pay to repair the damage, they will be out there working as the damage gets repaired.

I bet when these young thugs grow up and have kids,theirs will not repeat this if the lesson is ingrained in these two right now. Stop coddling these kids and hold them responsible.

kevin 2 years, 3 months ago

Why aren't the owners also suing these kids/family for the lost revenues. You just don't pat down a golf course and think you can play on it right after. Just two smart a** kids that think they are too rich and famous to obey the law or act like human beings instead of big-shot jerks. Like other no-brainers, they look to blame someone or something else for their actions. I'll bet you anything that their parents will be making some under-the-table donations to the judge.

timkenyon 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure there will be a lawsuit at some point, but today is Thursday and this happened Tuesday. Takes a little bit to get police reports, estimates, lawyers.

R 2 years, 3 months ago

SUGAR HILL -- Late-night hijinks on a "CITY OWNED" golf course in Sugar Hill could cost two beer-swilling teens thousands of dollars for repairs, officials said Tuesday.

So I guess the residents can determine if it was a good idea to be responsible for this site in the first place?

Bob44 2 years, 3 months ago

Do people READ before posting comments? I don't believe you can sue the family of an 18 year old for damages, can you? If so, then I need to file suit against my neighbor's entire family because his 23 y/o son just accidentally hit my garbage can while backing out of his driveway.

Why is everyone so eager to blame it all on the families? I guess socialism runs deep in their mentalities; I bet they approve of the Obama healthcare reform, too. Just hold the entire family accountable for the actions of one. Sheesh!

kevin 2 years, 3 months ago

so tell us how the golf club will get all the money they lost? Print it, like our government? A family should be able to control their brats. I guess if someone tried to stop what they did and shot one, you would want to put the shooter in jail also.

SickandTired 2 years, 3 months ago

these two losers were obviously staying at a friends home so where was the adult supervision in the house they were staying at? How come the adults of that home weren't arrested for providing alcohol to minors. this just happened in May with the North Gwinnett HS party where 13 kids got arrested and the boy's parents were arrested even tho they were sleeping while the party was going on (yeah right I believe that one!). They were so $^*tfaced so they took a 4 wheeler, went 1/2 mile through the woods and destroyed our golf course! Any takers on a bet that drinking alcohol wasn't all they were doing???? Morons.

timkenyon 2 years, 3 months ago

You did read in the article that these guys are 18 and 19 years old, right? What other adult supervision would you expect for an 18 and 19 year old?

Morons they are, yes. But technically, they ARE adults. Stupid and immature ones, but adults nonetheless and unfurtunately being stupid and immature is not illegal.

bnhwillard 2 years, 3 months ago

Make fixing the course their work detail. They stay in jail until its finished, and they are out there every day sweating to put it right again. Obviously they don't have the skills to fix it themselves, but they can at least serve a good part of the manual labor.

SickandTired 2 years, 3 months ago

@timkenyon...Sorry but I have a 19 y/o son who lives in my house. I damn guarantee you that he and his friends don't get $^*tfaced in my home. LEGAL drinking age is 21. These two morons clearly weren't in their own homes. Let's say that night they got in a car and drove down Suwanee Dam Rd. got into an accident and killed someone. Whoever provided the alcohol would be legally responsible for these two jackholes getting drunk. So yes you are right but only in the sense that they are technically adults but not legal to purchase or consume alcoholic beverages.

timkenyon 2 years, 3 months ago

Were the homeowners home at the time? If not, how would they control their idiot son? Who bought the alcohol? Were they living on one of their parents homes or what? I agree that they need to be punished severely and made to pay. I'm just saying that some folks on here are acting as if these were a couple of minors who should have had parental control over a sleepover and that just does not compute. I agree, if it was my home, there would not have been any such activity going on at all. IF I had knowledge and control. But if I was out of town, gone for the weekend and I had a stupid offspring that would do something like this, how could I stop it if I was not there?

GwinnettResident24 2 years, 3 months ago

Obviously if your name is SickAndTired to comment on articles then all your looking for us a reason to b!%$@

SickandTired 2 years, 3 months ago

@gwinnettresident24. You know what happens when you ASSume?

GwinnettResident24 2 years, 3 months ago

Why don't u go find something else to b!*$@ about instead of picking on teenagers who make mistakes a$$

NewsReader 2 years, 3 months ago

So what are you advocating GwinnettResident24? Give them a pass and void their responsibility for this foolishness because they are "teenagers"? Give me a break! BTW, it's "you're", not "your". Had you been paying attention in class instead of whining and moaning about being picked on as a teenager, you probably would have learned that!

LIGChillz303 2 years, 3 months ago

Obviously many have hit a nerve with GwinnettResident24! Must be friends of the 2 teenage losers or their parents. Underage drinking, DUI, & malicious destruction of public property are not mistakes. They're lucky they didn't hit a tree during their drunken 4 wheeler vandalism adventure, instead of mugshots it would be the coroners picture.