5 displaced by Lawrenceville fire

LAWRENCEVILLE -- The American Red Cross is assisting five people displaced by a Sunday night house fire in the 1900 block of Carriage Way in Lawrenceville, officials said.

The home's occupants reported the fire at 9:07 p.m. Firefighters brought it under control about 30 minutes after arrival, but not before the blaze caused heavy damage to the roof and sent smoke throughout.

Three adults and two children were displaced. No injuries were reported.

"The fire appears accidental and may have originated from a fire burning in the fireplace," said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge. "The occupants had reportedly been using the fireplace for warmth prior to the house fire erupting."