As of Monday, January 23, 2012
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
NORCROSS -- A Monday evening fire at a Norcross home was sparked by work being done on its furnace, officials said.
Gwinnett County firefighters responded to the home on the 6200 block of Susan Lane at about 5:15 p.m. Monday, finding only light smoke on arrival, spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.
"First-arriving fire crews made an aggressive interior attack and brought the fire quickly under control with a single hoseline," Rutledge said.
The blaze was contained to the furnace area and sent "slight" smoke throughout the home. The residents had already evacuated the home when crews arrived, Rutledge said. The damage was described as minor and the residents were not displaced.
"The fire appears accidental and started in the furnace unit as a result of mechanical work being done by the occupant," Rutledge said.