Gas prices on the rise

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Gas prices jumped 10 cents in the first week of the new year, according to a report from the American Automobile Association.

The current national average price of regular unleaded gasoline is $3.37 per gallon. Georgia's average price is $3.34 per gallon, a 14-cent increase from the previous week.

"While there's the possibility pump prices could surpass $4 a gallon, it's still too early to say exactly what the marquee will read four to six months down the road," said Jessica Brady, AAA spokesperson.

A news release from AAA stated that oil prices remain elevated as Iran continues to threaten to block the Strait of Hormuz and disrupt oil exports in the Middle East. Also contributing to the higher prices is "the positive employment numbers recently released in the U.S."

"Gas prices generally inch up after the first of the year on optimism the economy will continue to improve and set the stage for increased demand in the new year. The recent increase in U.S. payrolls by 200,000 in December supports this notion," Brady said.

In Georgia, average gas prices were $3.20 one week ago, $3.22 one month ago and $3.01 one year ago.

For more information, visit www.aaa.com.

Comments

BuzzG 2 years, 9 months ago

When Barak Obama was inaugurated, the average gas was $1.78 nationwide. What a short memory people have. What a disaster Obama has been for the country. The first Tuesday in November can't come quick enough.

HonestIngine 2 years, 9 months ago

No kidding, 4 more years of this and I will be might as well hang it up....

suedehead 2 years, 9 months ago

Nice try, but typical "blame Obama for everything" rhetoric.

The fact is, a few months before Bush left office it was over $4 a gallon. It dropped just after the election in 2008 probably in anticipation of Obama coming into office. Gas prices have increased because of middle east unrest and greedy corporations taking advantage of it.

No, I'm not a huge fan of Obama either, but just like W, everything wrong in this country can not necessarily be placed on the president. Congress has had a hand in this mess, also.

Prepare to be disappointed the first Tuesday in Nov. Due to further economic dilemas we're facing and the revolving cast of backwards thinking "Christian" front runners, the Republican party has no intrest in winning this election.

news2me 2 years, 9 months ago

So you were not part of the "Blame Bush" party that blanketed this nation? All those that voted for Obama certainly were of the I Hate Bush affiliation. The people that voted for Obama are the ones that are suffering the most under his administration. Blame yourself when you vote for Obama again.

Of course the gas prices are no directly his fault. But ther mere fact he sits in an office that he doesn't belong in or fit in is his fault. All is fair in love, war, and politics.

suedehead 2 years, 9 months ago

When did I say I voted for Obama? According to your knee-jerk comment, if those that voted for Obama are suffering the worst, then those of you that didn't must be doing just fine.

You also agree that gas prices are NOT directly his fault. Then why is the blame placed on him.

Furthermore, when I think of someone that didn't belong or fit in the office, I immediately think of W.

Gundoctor1 2 years, 9 months ago

Buzz, you hit the nail right on the head!! They have slowly acclimated us to think, Oh man, it's only $3.05 at Quick Trip. Only $3.05. Lets all get there now. Sort of like Obama saying well, we are on the right path now. The economy is turning around.

Kent 2 years, 9 months ago

I have yet to hear Princess Pelosi and her subjects rant about high gasoline prices as they did when Bush was president. Mr. Obama has said that > $7 a gallon at the pump is not a bad thing. His wish may come to pass. It is a shame the socialist greenie left wingers refuse to allow oil production in this country which lessens our dependence on middle east oil.

suedehead 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't believe oil production in this country has been "refused" (?) by "socialist greenie left wingers." Oil compainies are pretty much doing whatever they want and you can thank Bush, Obama and virtually every president since the 30's for that.

Let's say the oil companies are allowed to drill in every US location they find deposits and one of them is in your neighborhood. I'll bet my house that wouldn't be ok. But, if they want to drill in Alaska or in the Gulf, that's ok, because that doesn't affect YOU. But wait, the spills that have occurred there DID affect you. You're just so focused on what you're paying at QT, and railing against that guy in office, you're probably unware of how you were affected in many different ways. And I'm not talking about the price of shrimp or whether you can go to the beach. Please research. Ignorance is not bliss, it's just ignorance.

What happens when oil runs out, even if it's 100 years from now? Rather than only being concerned about what you're paying at the pump NOW, why not put that energy into forcing our "leaders" in being more proactive and aggressive in developing alternative fuels? Why start new drilling, and destroying eco-systems, just so millions can drive their car cheaply for 20 more years. What's wrong focusing on reducing our need for FOREIGN oil by becoming a nation that can survive on our OWN resourses. I can assure you other countries are planning for a future when oil is gone. Why can't we?

Please don't lable me as a liberal or tree hugger or un-American. Southern born and raised and love my country. I want us to return to being a leader and respected in the world. Something that has slowly eroded since Vietnam and reached it's lowst point under W. Unfortunatley, too many Americans drunk the kool-aid thinking that the US can just do whatever they want. The world is starting to push back.

Since my commute is 80 miles each day, gas is a concern. That's why I sold my Lexus SUV and bought a Ford (American!) Focus Hybrid. Everytime someone says "drill, baby, drill" I think, "You must not care about the future and quality of life of your grandchildren and their grandchildren, only about your immediate "needs."

I'm neither GOP or Dem. My knowledge of local, national and world events are gleaned from several resourses. I'm able to think for myself and usually have to pick the lesser of two evils when voting. I pity those whose knowledge of the US/world is obviously obtained only through sound bites, "fair and balanced" bottom lines, um, I mean news, and talk radio (more like listen radio. These blowhards don't give a darn about your opinion usless it's the same as theirs, and only then are you a "Great American").