HOT lanes reach new peak

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Fees for driving in HOT lanes on I-85 Tuesday morning were at their highest in months.

Malika Reed Wilkins, communications director with the State Road and Tollway Authority, said Tuesday morning's rush hour rate of $4.75 "has been the highest...during the a.m. peak" since Gov. Nathan Deal in October 2011 authorized a 40 percent reduction of the toll costs.

At $4.75, it's about 30 cents a mile for the express lane system, which can fluctuate between 1 and 99 cents a mile based on traffic congestion in the corridor.

Wilkins said the HOT Lanes reached $5.45 during the first week of operations prior to the Governor's decision to slash costs.

According to the State Road and Tollway Authoritys' website, the toll increases are based on the amount of congestion on I-85.

"The project is designed to provide more reliable travel times, commuter choices and regional transit enhancements," according to the website.

Since opening, usage of the I-85 Express Lanes has more than tripled, according to SRTA.

The 16-mile stretch runs from I-85 Old Peachtree Road to Chamblee Tucker Road, just south of I-285.

For more information, visit www.georgiatolls.com.

Comments

JohnGalt 2 years, 1 month ago

Seriously GDP, why don't you quit giving these people a sound board to brag about milking the Gwinnett Tax Payers out of thousands and thousands of dollars? Is it because you are on board with their agenda to tax us into oblivion?

jjbod1 2 years, 1 month ago

From what i have been told by a few people who do use them is. They now have "NO CHOICE" its either pay to get to work on time, or sit in traffic for a extra hour or more and risk loosing your job. A real nuice has been put around the necks of many Gwinnett county citizens who travel 85 every day. I cant wait o vote NO on the T-splost, If it where not for the Hot Lanes it would of got a yes vote for me. Its time to send a message.

Mack711 2 years, 1 month ago

There have been enough articles about the HOT lanes. Most will not pay and leave earlier to be at work on time. What we need to see in the GDP is this "NO MORE HOT LANES" Now that would be the best headline for all. As for TSPLOST, no way we should vote that in as long as the taxpayer is denied use of all the lanes on I-85 . This system will never pay for it self. Cut the losses and get rid of it now.

dan 2 years, 1 month ago

Brilliant! Let's just show everyone how dumb people in gwinnett county really are. We should all vote no on TSPLOST, so all of these necessary transportation improvements are not made in the next decade. I hope it is voted down because I like sitting in traffic and I don't like economic development. I also don't want to see thousands of construction workers go back to work to build these projects. These people don't need jobs. I cannot wait for Gwinnett to add a couple of hundred thousand people this decade and not make all of the transportation improvements that are on the TSPLOST list.

SuxBeanU 2 years, 1 month ago

Dan, maybe you should do some further research on just what the T-SPLOST is actually going to accomplish. What you are envisioning is not reality. Gwinnett will be paying a significant amount of money into the T-SPLOST pot, but will receive very little in the way of transportation "improvements". By the time all the "studies" and political posturing is done, there will be little in the way of transportation improvements actually made. Have you seen the plan for how this T-SPLOST money is going to improve the traffic problems for Gwinnett citizens? Even if new infrastructure is put in place, how is it going to be maintained 10 years out? Don't be so quick to jump on those that are voting against this debacle because so far, there are more questions, then there are answers. In the case of T-SPLOST, I believe the politicians have the cart before the horse.

dan 2 years, 1 month ago

You are delusional. Gwinnett will receives its fair share of the funds. Do you expect everyone to just sit back and watch the region's population soar without making necessary infrastructure improvements?

A few of the major projects on the list are: -Sugarloaf Parkway will be extended to the Mall of Georgia ($296 million alone) -316 will be converted to a limited access freeway all the way to the county border (over $100 million) -124 and 78 intersection improvement ($19.1 milliion) -120 widening ($38 million) -23 and 20 widening (over $70 million) -141 widening ($46 million)

Not to mention 15% of the tax funds will go back to local governments for their own use. There are also many more projects, but I did not feel like listing all of them.

NewsReader 2 years, 1 month ago

Dumb? Everybody meet Dan! Dan, if you want to show all of us people in Gwinnett County how dumb we [the people] really are, you go ahead and start. Be my guest. Lead the way. You certainly make an excellent example for us to follow! LOL!