Monday, February 27, 2012
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
DULUTH -- A ruptured boiler at a Duluth hotel in the 3600 block of Shackleford Road forced more than 80 guests and employees to be evacuated Monday morning, officials said.
Firefighters and police assisted in a total evacuation of the three-story Candlewood Suites after an employee reported that a sprinkler had activated at 5:13 a.m.
Fire crews found that a boiler on the third floor had ruptured and was dispensing large amounts of water into an electrical room, said Fire Department spokesman Lt. Eric Eberly.
"A total of 83 guests and employees were safely evacuated without any injuries to report," Eberly said.
The scene was declared under control about 8:30 a.m. Eberly said service areas of the building incurred moderate damages but occupants' personal belongings were mostly unaffected.
Management planned to open later Monday after repairs were complete and electrical and boiler services back online, Eberly said.