Monday, February 27, 2012
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
BUFORD -- A fire Sunday at a Buford duplex in the 4000 block of Sturgeon Circle has left a family of five homeless, officials said.
A neighbor reported smoke and flames at the two-story duplex about 12:45 p.m. Sunday. Fire crews arrived to find a neighbor trying unsuccessfully to put the fire out with a garden hose.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire mostly to a wall between the units, only one of which was occupied, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
The fire was declared under control at 1:21 p.m. No injuries were reported, though the family -- three adults and two children -- that occupies the home was displaced, Rutledge said.
The family was being assisted Sunday by family members and friends.
The fire appears accidental and may have started in a trash can containing discarded smoking materials, Rutledge said.