Police crack down on unlicensed foot massages

DULUTH -- Gwinnett police recently arrested five employees of a Duluth business who were illegally giving foot massages, officials said Tuesday.

Investigators with the department's vice unit made the arrests Wednesday evening during a massage compliance check at Magical Massage on Old Norcross Road.

Five suspects -- Xi Zhang, Xiaojun Yang, Shuwen Chen, Hongxin Li and Wei Shao, all of Duluth -- were arrested on misdemeanor charges of practicing massage therapy without a license.

No other illegal conduct was found, said Gwinnett police spokesman Cpl. Edwin Ritter.

Georgia law states that any person or entity providing massage therapy services must hold a valid license.

According to the Magical Massage website, foot massages are offered for $25 per hour, a procedure that includes foot-soaking in herbal medicines and a head, neck and shoulder massage.

Comments

Karl 2 years, 1 month ago

ILLEGAL FOOT MASSAGES!!!

Oh the humanity. Call the authorities...oh...never mind some numbskull already did. I usually tip my cap to the Gwinnett cops, but guys, you blew it on this one.

kevin 2 years, 1 month ago

what can go wrong rubbing someone's foot?

Kent 2 years, 1 month ago

You have got to be kidding me, that we are paying law enforcement to waste time and money on such horrendous criminal activity. My wife cuts my hair, sometimes I do it myself, and while it is not against the law, it would be about as silly for it to be so and the cops arrest us for doing our own cutting. I would gladly pay my wife $25 per hour for a herbal foot soak with the head, neck, and shoulder massage. I can see the look on her face now if I were to request that service, and I assure you it would be a look I would never forget. How about putting this vice squad in areas where real crime is committed. The county may not bring in the fines and have their little license (tax) law enforced, but it would make the county safer. There is a Gwinnett park I frequently go to where almost twenty auto break-ins and thefts have taken place the last 6 months. Guess this protect and serve thing is to make sure we do not get our feet rubbed on by an unqualified technician. Have to go now, am going to get my yellow pages and try to find a local business which I can get a nifty deal on a foot rub before the foot rub police shuts them down.

BufordGuy 2 years, 1 month ago

Seriously? Holy cow. I'm rolling on the floor laughing my butt off. Super Troopers.

A_Gwinnetian 2 years, 1 month ago

I actually thought this article was a joke. Please...tell me it is a joke.

dav 2 years, 1 month ago

I feel so much safer .I can actually leave the house now

NewsReader 2 years, 1 month ago

This is such wonderful news. I'm glad they cracked down on these people. That means nobody got killed that night. That means there were no druck drivers on the roads that night. Nobody was raped. Nobody was assaulted. We have such little problems within our community, we now have time to focus on this type of foolishness. These licenses are BS anyway - nothing more than an effort to extort additional tax revenue from the small business owner. They were in business to make a living for crying out loud - not stealing from the rest of us.

Karl 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, this must be a first, unanimity in the comments section!

LoganvilleResident 2 years, 1 month ago

I wasn't aware when I took the oath of office as a poilce officer that I agreed to uphold only certain laws or popular laws.

Here's a novel concept... How about we expect people to follow the law and not get upset at police for enforcing it when they don't?

BuzzG 2 years, 1 month ago

The article does not state who issues the foot massage licenses and what criteria do they use. How does one go about getting trained to be a foot massage license guy? I see an opportunity here for some currently unemployed person.

johansec 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow, glad that they are making the best use of their resources and our tax dollars. I shudder at the thought that there were unlicensed foot massagers on the loose.

FordGalaxy 2 years, 1 month ago

Does this mean that if a guy gives his girlfriend a foot masage that he's guilty of a misdemeanor?

jack 2 years, 1 month ago

How can one tell if they're receiving an illegal foot massage? And, if so, wouldn't one be complicit in the commission of a misdemeanor?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.