Toll lanes set another record

DULUTH -- Drivers are paying higher tolls, as Gwinnett's HOT lanes hit another all-time high.

During the morning peak rush hour Wednesday, tolls reached as high as $4.70 for the entire 16-mile stretch, said State Road and Tollway Authority spokeswoman Malika Reed Wilkins.

That is nearly 30 cents a mile for a system set to fluctuate between 1 and 99 cents a mile based on the traffic congestion in the corridor.

Earlier this year, the express lanes reached capacity during the morning rush hour, as usage has increased steadily since the lanes opened in October.

"As the goal of the Express Lanes is to provide more reliable travel times and keep traffic free-flowing at a targeted speed of 45 mph, the system is designed to manage the demand for the express lanes through pricing, thus motorists have experienced higher tolls," Wilkins said.

Comments

Mack711 2 years, 10 months ago

This tells me that the toll lanes have been oversold. The speed limit can not be what they want, but yet they keep selling Peach Passes. How does it feel to sit in traffic and pay more for the priviliage? Wasted money

Suwaneesince1991 2 years, 10 months ago

I will not vote for anyone who does not want the immediate dismantling of this abberation and abomination (i see lawmakers scrambling for their thesaurs').

The Class warfare stops now. I'm tired of paying for bureaucrats who provide no real value like the ones at the State Roadway and Tollway Authority.

JohnGalt 2 years, 10 months ago

Well, our SRTA mouthpiece weighs in again and as usual, anything she says, certainly isn't gonna be much. Malika, have you ever heard the expression "...a picture is worth a thousand words..."? The picture in this very article says about as much as everybody needs to know about your hostile gov'ment takeover of our 'already paid for' highway. You are breathtaking! You are stunning! You are convincing! LOL!

kledbetter 2 years, 10 months ago

Set another record -- for what As far as I am concerned they (Gwinnett County) can take the hot lanes and put them where the sun don't shine. All you hear is about the damn hot lanes. Don't you think people get tired of hearing this crap every day.

economist 2 years, 10 months ago

I take them both ways every day and never drop below 65 MPH. I love them. I go flying by everyone on my right, and get to work downtown in about 30 min. Getting home quickly in time to do stuff with my family is great. And the money I am saving by not sitting in stop and go traffic more than pays for the tolls. LOVE THE HOT LANES!!

Suwaneesince1991 2 years, 10 months ago

Because, you know, you are more important than everyone else.

Buck11 2 years, 10 months ago

I totally agree! I love the HOT lanes! I can leave for work later and I get home so much faster. My car's avg MPG has gone up quite a bit. These lanes are awesome!

Mack711 2 years, 10 months ago

You will love the HOT lanes until you get HOT when your bill comes due. Fools rush in where wise men never tread!

kevin 2 years, 10 months ago

How about the "record" they have destroyed the rest of us driving on I-85. This will still turn out ot be a joke and waste of money while kissing up to the Federal government once again for another project we can't afford. Those lanes were padi for with our tax money an now Georgia expects us to pay for the HOV lanes again. Keep it suckers.