0

Many belongings spared in Snellville fire

SNELLVILLE -- A Snellville family may be displaced for Christmas, but most of their belongings were spared from damage during a Friday night fire.

Firefighters arrived to the Burgomeister Place home at about 11:13 p.m to find heavy smoke coming from the attic, a press release said.

With attack hoses quickly deployed to battle the blaze, fire crews searched the two-story home but all residents had made it out of the structure before the crews arrived, the release said.

The blaze resulted in fire damage to the upstairs bathroom and smoke and water damage to the second floor, while there was structural damage to the roof above the bathroom, where it originated, Gwinnett Fire Lt. Colin Rhoden said.

"With the fast response and actions of the crews on scene, the majority of the belongings of the resident was spared from damage and were conserved for the homeowner," the release said, adding that no injuries were reported.

While Red Cross assistance was not required, Rhoden said the family -- two adults and one child -- may be displaced until they are able to contact their insurance company. Repairs are under way.

The battalion commander said the fire was determined to be accidental.