POLITICAL NOTEBOOK: Congressman apologizes for comment

Hank Johnson

Hank Johnson

One of Gwinnett's congressmen apologized on the House floor last week for a gaffe during an earlier set of comments.

U.S. Rep. Hank Johnson, a Democrat whose district includes portions of Norcross and Duluth, used a questionable term while condemning a new Michigan right-to-work law.

The next day he apologized for using "the m-word" to describe little people.

"The Congressman realized the next morning that he used what some people feel is a prejudicial term, and he was determined to apologize and set the record straight. He used it as a teachable moment," Johnson's spokesman Andy Phelan said.

Johnson made headlines in 2010 for another gaffe, when he questioned if a U.S. military installation on Guam would cause the island to capsize.

Senator sends condolences

U.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson sent out condolences Friday to the town devastated by the tragic shooting at an elementary school, which killed more than a dozen children.

"I am terribly saddened to learn of the shootings today at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. I ask all Georgians to join me in praying for the victims and the families affected by this horrendous tragedy," Isakson said in a statement.

Political Notebook appears in the Thursday and Sunday editions of the Gwinnett Daily Post.

Camie Young can be reached via email at camie.young@gwinnettdailypost.com.

For archived columns, go to www.gwinnettdailypost.com/politics.

Comments

NewsReader 1 year, 8 months ago

He can't help it. He was on the low side of the Island when Guam tipped over!

Kent 1 year, 8 months ago

Mr. Johnson is a true representative of the constituents who voted for him. That is all I need to say.

DavidBrown 1 year, 8 months ago

Hank Johnson's fourth Congressiona District now includes a portion of Snellville previously represented by Rob Woodall. Hank Johnson is now my Congressman, thank the Lord.

kevin 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't know what Lord you pray to. Mine doesn't want me to vote for pro-abortion candidates.

kevin 1 year, 8 months ago

Just look at this guy speak before Congress and you can tell what kind of people re-elect this guy over and over/ He is simply an activist and not even a politician. Funny how Liberals are always for the "rights" for underprivileged people. Funny how he double talks when it comes to giving those same people a free choice in deciding if they want to join a union or not without facing discrimination. This is what "right-to-work is all about, nothing more. Glad Ga. is a right-to-work state, like many other Southern states.

JohninSuwanee 1 year, 8 months ago

This guy is an embarrassment to Georgia. I've seen him speak twice and I found myself cringing throughout each of the speeches. I made it very clear to those who were with me that he didn't represent the district that I lived in.

John_Smith 1 year, 8 months ago

It AMAZES me that this FOOL is still in office. As soon as that whole Guam thing came about he should have been removed from office due to sheer stupidity.