Saturday, December 15, 2012
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE -- The blaze that displaced a Lawrenceville family from its home is believed to have started in the fireplace.
Gwinnett County firefighters responded to the home on the 300 block of Amberwood Drive at about 12:20 a.m. Saturday, finding "heavy fire conditions showing from the right side and back" of the structure, fire department spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said. The blaze was already burning in the attic and roof, and crews brought it under control within about 30 minutes, Rutledge said.
Heavy damage was incurred.
Rutledge said the fire appeared to be accidental and may have been caused by flames burning in the fireplace.
"Flames are believed to have spread outside the fire box and extended to the attic and roof via the walls and chimney chase," Rutlege said.
Two adults and two children living at the home were outside by the time fire crews arrived and were unharmed. No injuries were reported.
The family was displaced due to the damage to the home, Rutledge said.