0

Officials: Damaging blaze originated in fireplace

LAWRENCEVILLE -- The blaze that displaced a Lawrenceville family from its home is believed to have started in the fireplace.

Gwinnett County firefighters responded to the home on the 300 block of Amberwood Drive at about 12:20 a.m. Saturday, finding "heavy fire conditions showing from the right side and back" of the structure, fire department spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said. The blaze was already burning in the attic and roof, and crews brought it under control within about 30 minutes, Rutledge said.

Heavy damage was incurred.

Rutledge said the fire appeared to be accidental and may have been caused by flames burning in the fireplace.

"Flames are believed to have spread outside the fire box and extended to the attic and roof via the walls and chimney chase," Rutlege said.

Two adults and two children living at the home were outside by the time fire crews arrived and were unharmed. No injuries were reported.

The family was displaced due to the damage to the home, Rutledge said.

Comments

Gundoctor1 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't think fire has ever tried to get outside the "firebox" in my fireplace. How does this happen?

0

Why_not 1 year, 10 months ago

It happens most when people leave combustible materials too close to the fireplace and don't utilize a fireplace screen. It's not as uncommon as you think.

0

FIREMATT 1 year, 10 months ago

ITS NOT FROM SOMETHING OUTSIDE THE FIREBOX... ITS THE FLU LINING IN THE CHIMNEY CHASE THAT FAILED. THATS THE ONLY WAY THE FIRE WOULD BE IN THE ATTIC WEHN FD ARRIVED... AND IT IS COMMON TO HAPPEN.

0

Why_not 1 year, 10 months ago

I was making a point that it is common for fires to spread to the outside by that method. I was a firefighter for 30 years and that's a common thing to happen.

0

FIREMATT 1 year, 10 months ago

okay... im a current FF. WHATS YOUR POINT?

0

Motor76 1 year, 10 months ago

Resins and cresol build up is one of the biggest cause of house fire this time of year.

0

Sign in to comment