Police to increase patrols at local schools

Police spokesman Cpl. Edwin Ritter said late Friday that the department will have a greater presence "in and around schools within Gwinnett County" for the next several days. The effort will be a collaborative effort between GCPD and Gwinnett schools police.

"Officers will be assigned to every school within Gwinnett County police jurisdiction and these patrols will last for the next several days," Ritter said.

A gunman opened fire inside an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., Friday, killing at least 26 people -- including his mother and 18 children. As of Friday afternoon, it was believed to be the second deadliest school shooting in American history, behind only the Virginia Tech massacre of 2007.

Gwinnett authorities expressed no specific reason for concern, but said schools will be patrolled more closely.

"The department is conducting this proactive measure to help prevent any type of 'copy cat' or similar incident from occurring within Gwinnett County," Ritter said.

Wednesday will be the final day of classes for Gwinnett County Public Schools before winter break. Superintendent Alvin Wilbanks released a statement Friday.

"Tragic events in other communities place the public spotlight on school safety, here and around the country," the statement said, in part. "Our school district has been working on school safety as routine business for years, knowing that a safe environment is essential to student learning."

"Our plans are to continue to take the important steps that have kept our schools safe in the past, as well as continuing our work to enhance programs to ensure safe schools in the future."

Comments

NewsReader 1 year, 4 months ago

Here's a novel idea. Train and arm a few personnel at every facility and equip them with firearms and kevlar vests for the best and fastest response time. They can do double duty and pay them for double duty: Act as teacher, library personnel, or whatever plus officer of the law. It's easy for a maniac to go on a killing spree when they know the rules prohibit any kind of resistance or possibility of getting shot yourself. It's kind of like bringing a knife to a gun fight. It takes a special kind of coward to kill a bunch of innocent children and then commit suicide.

And spare me the gun control lecture. Guns don't kill people; People kill people. If guns do indeed become controlled, the only ones who will have them are the uncontrolled.

Why_not 1 year, 4 months ago

There isn't a SRO in every school.

SurelyNot 1 year, 4 months ago

Would our taxpayers be willing to fund an SRO in every school? The societal ills creating this won't be solved with an SRO in every school, I fear.

Why_not 1 year, 4 months ago

That could go a long way in helping prevent a sad situation from happening here.

BufordGuy 1 year, 4 months ago

Have you ever checked out the SRO's?

Bruce 1 year, 4 months ago

I think it was last week, there was a report that Duluth High School had an incident where it recieved a threat. After an investigation, the threat was found not to be credible, and the school sent notices home with students. No notices were sent, atleast to my daughter, and the school refuses to answer this question. I would hope this news reporting organization to get some level of confirmation on what it reports since parents can not trust the spokesperson assigned to speak about this incident.

SurelyNot 1 year, 4 months ago

All the folks with all the answers need to consider this: can't legislate or do enough to protect against insanity. Just can't. Can you do a lot to be proactive in any enclosed area? Yes. But absolutely protect against? No. Insanity sadly finds a way and sometimes is horribly, horrifically successful. God Bless Connecticut and the all the children.

NewsReader 1 year, 4 months ago

First of all, if an SRO was firmly planted in one school and not having to police multiple schools, I would concur.

As for your assinine[sic] smart little comment about "...All the folks with all the answers...", please don't restate the obvious as if we don't have a clear understanding of it. We clearly understand that you "...can't legislate or do enough to protect against insanity..." My suggestion was, as you put it, "proactive". And while we cannot "...absolutely protect against..." it, we certainly can increase the odds of survival of those who are not in any position to protect themselves. How far do you think this gunman would have gotten had an SRO been on premises? Perhaps we would have five to ten dead instead of 26! You can't fix it, but you certainly can improve it.

SurelyNot 1 year, 4 months ago

NewsReader, you are a bit self absorbed to think any comment about people having answers was directed at you. Sitting around a table tonight, everyone has an answer. The point is that there is little to be answered to this horrific incident. And to those of you who think any mortal (SRO included) could have stood between all those children and this horror, are wrong. A person like will find a way. Just like he found a way into a school with locked doors. And, quite frankly one dead is too many.

NewsReader 1 year, 4 months ago

Well SurelyNot, considering your first entry into the discussion was a REPLY to me regarding the SRO, and subsequently this assinine[sic] remark of yours at almost the exact same time, I cannot imagine where I got the idea that your comment would have been directed at me especially when mine was the first comment and yours was the second.

Nevertheless, I don't think for a second an officer or otherwise could have prevented a tragedy. I do believe they could have lessened the magnitude of it. And while one dead is one too many, you said yourself that it isn't a practicality by saying that "...A person like (THAT) will find a way..." Of course they will which is why you prepare for the worst to minimize your propensity for casualties. So what is your recommendation genius? Since you cannot possibly prevent every single person from getting killed, let's do nothing? Or do we safeguard and prepare the best we can to minimize the tragedy?

SurelyNot 1 year, 4 months ago

NewsReader, you are too self focused. This topic has nothing to do with you. You do not interest me.

DavidBrown 1 year, 4 months ago

"Guns don't kill people; People kill people." Really "NewsReader"? Explain that to the families of those 20 children that were massacred yesterday.

NewsReader 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes, REALLY DavidBrown! A gun is an inanimate object. It cannot possibly go off and shoot somebody by itself. I don't even know why I am responding to you. You have historically proven to be too stupid to engage in any meaningful discussion.

DavidBrown 1 year, 4 months ago

"NewsReader", what would you say to the families of those kids if you could speak to them this morning?

NewsReader 1 year, 4 months ago

This is my last response to you. As I said on the other news article, "The nation weeps for the entire community that is Newtown, CT." There is nothing that I can say that will help, that will console the families, that will fix or restore it to its original state. Everybody knows that. My heart aches for them. What would you say genius? Anything you do say is going to be absolutely futile. The outcome remains the same and these children and school employees are forever gone. Words cannot ever relinquish the grief these people face now, and in the hours, days, weeks, months, and years to come. Simply sharing their pain, their loss, and their grief is what will do the most to allow the healing process to move forward.

BufordGuy 1 year, 4 months ago

DB, I'd love to have that opportunity. What an honor that would be. I can tell you my discussion would not involve gun control.

Award88 1 year, 4 months ago

I would express my sincere condolences for their loss. After some time has passed, I would encourage them to help be a part of potentially minimizing the number of deaths in a future incident. This will happen again, so what can be done to limit the magnitude in the future? Allow, law abiding citizens, who can already carry in many other places, to carry in these schools. What if a teacher with a concealed carry permit had been allowed to carry their firearm at this school. Could they have possibly limited the number of casualties? Fact, the average number of deaths when police respond to a mass shooting 18.2, the average when a citizen with a legally owned firearm stops the threat 2.

DavidBrown 1 year, 4 months ago

"Award88", my wife happens to teach fifth grade at a Gwinnett elementary school. Both of us consider your suggestion an unwise and irrational one. By the way, where did you get that fact from? It appears to have emanated from the NRA, or some other pro-gun lobby or person. God bless you and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

BufordGuy 1 year, 4 months ago

Of course you do. And, I pray to God your wife is never in this situation. But please encourage her to look for a job in New Jersey.

micronmike 1 year, 4 months ago

Thank you David, we do not need more guns in schools.

concernedparent2012 1 year, 4 months ago

we need to do something as a community to prevent this the government will not do it we all need to come together to protect our children. condolences to the families in the newtown shooting and here we need to do something to prevent this from happening again.

SurelyNot 1 year, 4 months ago

Bloggers who can do so without being insulting to each other, please start participating. I would love to discuss items with people who don't think they should be the next Ralph McGill. I would love to discuss serious solutions to issues with people who are humble and know we should discuss options in a give and take way.

CD 1 year, 3 months ago

My question to the SPD: hide behind shrubs to ticket minor traffic violators or patrol near schools, thus doing what is expected by taxpayers?