Snellville apartment fire displaces families

SNELLVILLE — An apartment fire that produced heavy smoke and flames on Destin Circle in Snellville displaced three families on Wednesday night.

A teenager who lived in the apartment was roasting marshmallows in the fire place and stepped away for a moment. While he was gone, a log rolled out and ignited the apartment.

Gwinnett Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge said firefighters were dispatched at about 7:30 p.m., and had the blaze under control in about 40 minutes. One unit in the building received heavy fire damage, Rutledge said, and two others had residual damage.

“Firefighters worked aggressively and were able to keep the flames from extending to the adjoining apartment units,” Rutledge said.

The teen escaped unharmed, and no other injuries were reported, Rutledge said.

The fire was ruled accidental.

The Red Cross provided assistance to the families.