Beaudreau considering recount in commission race

LAWRENCEVILLE -- He came so close to winning a third term.

So Mike Beaudreau can't help but consider a recount in Tuesday's GOP runoff, where he led in the polling until the final precincts were tallied, ending in a 56-vote defeat.

"It's close enough that I think it warrants it," Beaudreau said of the possibility of calling for a recount, a day after the District 3 commissioner lost the runoff to Tommy Hunter. He said he would make a final decision when the election results are certified Monday. "It's obviously very frustrating, coming that close to winning on the first ballot."

In July, Beaudreau nearly garnered the 50 percent needed to avoid the runoff, despite three men running against him.

But on Tuesday, he said, a disappointing turnout likely led to the downfall. The runoff turnout was well below 10 percent, and Beaudreau noted that he received more votes by himself on July 31 than both candidates brought in on Tuesday.

"We knew when it came to a runoff, you just never know what can happen," he said of likely ending his work on the commission at the end of the year.

Beaudreau said he called Hunter late Tuesday to congratulate him on the victory and offer to help with the transition into office.

Hunter, a former county employee, wants to bring his engineering expertise to issues like water and transportation. He said his team worked hard for the victory and vowed to fulfill campaign promises.

For Beaudreau, the end of the campaign brings some sense of relief.

"I'll get to spend a lot more time with my baby girl, so that's something I'm looking forward to, that's for sure," he said.

Comments

R 2 years, 3 months ago

It's a fair request and should performed.

No need for fears of "hanging chad" like questions allowed to linger, that fame belongs to the state just to our south.

Rocket1300 2 years, 3 months ago

Do it Mike. For all involved in your district, please do it.

NorcrossDot 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't do it Mike. You should have been ousted a long time ago with your other cronies.

jackster 2 years, 3 months ago

@NorcrossDot - So whether he stays or goes, it would be good to document his cronies. I can see here that you have direct evidence that Mike has a hand in all dealings which have resulted in a Commish's removal...

So, if you don't mind forwarding that onto Danny Porter's office, since i'm sure they would like to hand down an indictment.

Otherwise, are there other cronies of his which are in the planning, zoning, or other positions in gwinnett county which we should also be weary of?

Or are you just spouting off because you don't like him, and don't actually have any evidence that he is corrupt...

NorcrossDot 2 years, 3 months ago

jackster, LOL No I don't have proof or I would have already sent it in. He's not in my district but I was involved with the Trash fiasco meetings and he is arrogant rude and was definitely involved with the Trash fiasco. Not at all funny like you are.

Say_that_again 2 years, 3 months ago

There are two sets available for recount. Absentee and those cast by computer. If the totals from those cast by computer are different, it would indicate another serious flaw in computer voting without paper backup. Scanning the absentee ballots is the only place that any results change would be expected. Should the results be different on a second scan, then the only way to determine which scan is more accurate would require a hand counting of all absentee ballots getting back to human judgement on which name is marked. If he wants a recount, his campaign fund should pay a portion of the $1000's it probably will cost for a hand count. He can still run a write in campaign for the general election!

MissDaisyCook 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't live in this district, but way less than 1% difference should be a recount. If only 28 votes were changed, then it would be a tie. Maybe Beaudreau should have to post a fee for the recount, and if he is successful he would get it back.

LoganvilleResident 2 years, 3 months ago

Sorry.. removed because I made a mistake. :)

notamom 2 years, 3 months ago

No, Hunter would lose 28 and Boudreau would gain 28.

Katrina 2 years, 3 months ago

It's certainly possible that Hunter could gain votes, too.

R 2 years, 2 months ago

Somebody had access to the lockboxs ...

How did you know one would turn up like it did?

(Smiles the recount actually located one more for Hunter)

LoganvilleResident 2 years, 3 months ago

In the general election, more than 50% of the electorate voted against retaining Beaudreau. The only problem was that there were too many choices to vote for. I didn't vote for Hunter in the primary election. However, I did vote AGAINST Beaudreau and on purpose.

Once that choice was narrowed down to Beaudreau and another person, it became clear to voters who they had to vote for if they didn't want Beaudreau in office anymore. Beaudreau needs to realize that a majority voted against him in the primary AND the run-off. This is not a case of, "Oh I lost because there was a light turnout at the runoff."

Rocket1300 2 years, 3 months ago

Well then Loganville... don't be afraid. Embrace a recount. It's ok, it's all part of the process.

teelee 2 years, 3 months ago

He shouldn't even have to ask when it is that close, it should be automatic.

Micaela 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes, Teelee, like the automatic recount in the 2000 Florida presidential election... Oh, wait a minute, the Supreme Court stopped that one...

pops 2 years, 3 months ago

Sorry Micaela, the Supreme Court did not stop the recount. What the Supreme Court did is, they stopped the dens from picking Anne choosing what counties in Fl. would be recounted. The Supreme Court could recount the entire state.

Micaela 2 years, 3 months ago

You are correct that the Dems asked for hand recounts in certain counties--this was allowed by Florida law, and the counties had the final say. The statewide recount was mandated by Florida law.

BuzzG 2 years, 3 months ago

"A man is known by the company he keeps."

Many of us did not like the company Mike had been keeping in the BOC. We also did not like some of his votes. Some of us are paying attention and we are the ones who vote in run-offs.

micronmike 2 years, 3 months ago

Are you serious? "The company he keeps." How did he pick who the other BOC members were? What were those votes?

R 2 years, 3 months ago

Micro-mike ...... Beware of the mini-me!

micronmike 2 years, 3 months ago

Jokes, how about a real comment back with answers to the questions if you have them.

R 2 years, 3 months ago

his votes

I've created pages here of background on this so, highlight R and read till your eyes bleed. Bottom line - We wouldn't HAVE the consent decree for high priced trash today but for the 5-0 vote in 2006 to BYPASS county procurement policies.

IF that vote had been 4-1 it would be a different ballgame.

As to the offered levity, I meant no insult - just a good-natured chuckle.

CD 2 years, 3 months ago

I would fully expect that MB will ask for a recount. Any expense that little tyrant can place upon the taxpayer he surely will.

Just call him Al.

ntstar4 2 years, 3 months ago

I wish I could have voted for him IMO he was the only one on the BOC that had any good ideas.

SnellvilleEE 2 years, 3 months ago

Mike's stewardship of District 3 Commissioner post began well. He promoted the desires of voters. As time passed, he switched to promoting his desires. When voters protested, he tried to shift blame to other council members. As time passed, voters have come to realize this truth. He is one slick sales dude.

CD 2 years, 3 months ago

The Titanic also left the dock safely.

kevin 2 years, 3 months ago

as long as he loses by one vote, let them recount! do not re-elect any politician is our way to prosperity and of taking back our country. Either they vote like the majority wants or out you go. Never give an elected person more than one term and they will do their job we elected them to do. Then they won't have another 4 years to tell us what to do regardless of how they have twisted things. "It's obviously very frustrating, coming that close to winning on the first ballot." Isn't a runoff the second ballot?

Rocket1300 2 years, 3 months ago

So, if he wins Kevin, what? While I don't think it's going to happen, stop being a sore winner. Let the recount begin, of course after monday.

gwinnettperson123 2 years, 3 months ago

Mike - Please lick your wounds, and move on. It's time to get on with your life!

wrighton 2 years, 3 months ago

Beaudreau has cost the taxpayers enough money. His taxpayer funded Christmas parties, funerals, ballgames, were enough. Where is the investigation! He should have to RESIGN NOW.

Rocket1300 2 years, 3 months ago

What the hell are you talking about? Please enlighten us on this Gaff you are accusing him of. You ask, "where is the investigation".... ok, please tell us, where is it? Please enlighten us.

R 2 years, 3 months ago

Per the county ethics policy no action can occur until Nov ... neat huh?

Seems that 6 month blackout for incumbents has a pit fall or 2

nicholson 2 years, 3 months ago

Interesting responses Rocket1300, considering your recent lecture to chastise others from expressing their opinions. I guess it's a case of do as I say, not as I do, huh?

Rocket1300 2 days, 17 hours ago:

"Oh boy, I'd expected a lot more class from my fellow republicans but sadly, they are showing here that they are just sore winners. Shame on you children for being such children. You cyber commando's know who you are. You'd never show such ignorance in person, so you hide behind here."

HonestIngine 2 years, 3 months ago

Guess, he wants to lose the election twice....

SnellvilleEE 2 years, 3 months ago

If the vote was taken again next year, Tommy would win by a greater margin.

JW 2 years, 3 months ago

Better watch him. He wouldn't be thinking recount unless he thought he could find a box of uncounted ballots somewhere. Too much ego to just go away.

Rocket1300 2 years, 3 months ago

don't be afraid of a recount...... unless your afraid.

SnellvilleEE 2 years, 3 months ago

We need a revote on Mike's Ronald Regean Parkway Extension to I85 study. The votes of commissioners (two of which were forced to resign) should be replaced with citizens voting. Further, citizens should be heard BEFORE ANY vote is taken.

HonestIngine 2 years, 3 months ago

Now he needs to do his time... just like lasister

Kent 2 years, 3 months ago

I received a 'vote for Mike' flier in the mail today with the invite to call him any time on his cell phone. Where was he all these years when I called his office requesting his position to discuss the issues before his vote and he never responded? For a commissioner who claims to listen to constituents he has dropped the ball far too many times. The voters and those like me who have supported him in the past have finally been successful in getting his attention. Ya listening there Mike?????

Wyoming1 2 years, 3 months ago

Stop crying Mike, voters did you a big favor!! This way when the dirt comes out on you, you wont have to resign in disgrace like the rest of your fellow corupt commissioners from the group of last 8 years.

nag6970 2 years, 3 months ago

I live in Mike district remember when he campaigned for the position the first time. He put forward a great persona which changed over the years. As SnellvilleEE stated he started out well and then became a typical pompous politician, running around and being "Wined and Dined" by some notable folks. I now have a rubbish pick up for more than I was paying and a Stadium that had to be funded by Gwinnett and not the Braves. It is my opinion Government should not be funding these items. So I would hope that Mike would use this as a "learning moment" and exit quietly. Oh I almost forgot, I have a 1700 acre park which borders my property which was really not needed.

R 2 years, 3 months ago

I just can't resist... those "sour grape" cell towers have to go SOMEWHERE.

CD 2 years, 3 months ago

It's morning in Gwinnett.

gwinnettisgreat1 2 years, 3 months ago

Again, Mike is out of touch with reality. When he said, "A disappointing low turnout was likely the reason for his down fall." Noooooooooo... the fact that people who were voting for the TSPLOST simply voted for the incumbent. Statistics tell us that this happens in general elections.

Now you only have people voting who actually care and pay attention... and old Mike is gone. Not only that, in the general election, more people voted against him than did for him.

The old adage, "Don't go away mad.... just go away."