Breaking News

Man found dead at Duluth apartment complex April 19, 2014


Man hospitalized after leaping from burning home

SNELLVILLE -- A Snellville man was hospitalized early Tuesday after leaping from the second story of his home to escape a fire in the basement, officials said.

The fire broke out just after midnight at a two-story house in the 4800 block of Riversound Drive. The man, who was home alone and taking a shower at the time, was alerted by a smoke alarm and tried to exit via a stairwell, but the smoke was too thick, officials said.

"He was forced jump to safety from a second floor window above the garage," said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.

The unidentified man met firefighters in the driveway, was treated on scene and transported to a local hospital with minor injuries, Rutledge said.

Fire crews controlled the fire within minutes of their arrival, confining it to a finished room in the basement. Rutledge said the fire appears accidental and may have originated in the area of a basement computer. No other injuries were reported.

Smoke damages throughout the home will displace its two adult residents. Rutledge said the second occupant was out of town at the time.