Hunter squeaks by Beaudreau in commission runoff

Candidate Tommy Hunter celebrates his victory of the District 3 Board of Commissioners runoff race with his daughter Lauren, 15, at their Buford home on Tuesday. Hunter defeated his opponent Mike Beaudreau. District 4 Planning Commissioner Clint Dixon, looks on.

photo

Incumbent District 3 Commissioner Mike Beaudreau waits on primary runoff election returns with supporters at Summit Chase Country Club in Snellville Tuesday evening.

photo

Candidate Tommy Hunter celebrates his victory of the District 3 Board of Commissioners runoff race with his friends Jeff Morley and Buddy Granger at his Buford home on Tuesday. Hunter defeated his opponent Mike Beaudreau.

photo

Incumbent District 3 Commissioner Mike Beaudreau concedes his election race to Tommy Hunter, in a race decided by less than 100 votes. Beaudreau and his supporters gathered at Summit Chase Country Club in Snellville Tuesday evening. At left is Mike's wife Tegwen Beaudreau.

LAWRENCEVILLE — The third time was the charm for Tommy Hunter, who prevailed in a tight race for county commission in a runoff Tuesday.

While a recount could be in order, the winner of the GOP balloting does not face a Democrat in November.

“Thank God. We worked hard enough for it,” Hunter said, just before thanking supporters. “We’re going to do what we said we would do.”

Hunter’s victory came in 4,577 to 4,521, just 56 votes more than Gwinnett’s longest-serving current Commissioner Mike Beaudreau, according to unofficial results.

That means that, come January, the longest serving board member will have just two years experience, after the unexpected resignations of embattled politicians Charles Bannister, Kevin Kenerly and Shirley Lasseter among a string of ethics issues, including bribery allegations.

As ballots were counted, Beaudreau kept the lead in the tight race until about 10:20 p.m., when a flurry of precincts brought Hunter the top spot.

Beaudreau, who did not immediately return a phone call late Tuesday, focused his campaign on his eight years on the commission, working on issues such as reducing government spending.

But the recent exits of commissioners under clouds of impropriety may have had more to do with the tight election than unpopular decisions on initiatives such as a countywide trash plan and the building of a minor-league baseball stadium.

While Beaudreau was not implicated in a special grand jury report involving questionable land deals or part of the recent bribery allegations, the cases spurred an anti-incumbent sentiment in the community, with many believing that public trust could only be rebuilt with a new slate of commissioners.

Beaudreau came in first place in the four-man GOP primary in July and nearly reached the 50 percent mark to avoid the runoff.

But Hunter, who was in his third race for the county commission, mounted a big fight, possibly getting an Election Day boost due to the last-minute endorsement of popular Sheriff Butch Conway.

The father of two from Buford hopes to bring some of his engineering expertise to issues such as water and transportation. He is a former county staffer who has served on the Water and Sewerage Authority and Planning Commission.

Comments

MLRespess 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh, Praise the Lord! Finally the voters in Gwinnett County have (at least partially) seen the light!

NewsReader 1 year, 11 months ago

Hey Floyd, you awake yet? How did the election work out for ya? I think The Department of Labor office opens around 8:00AM. You might want to get a head start on down there before the crowd hits. LOL, you might need to polish up that resume too...I'm sure somebody else will need someone to bring up the rear and follow them like a little puppet dragging by the strings!

nicholson 1 year, 11 months ago

As to be expected, Floyd's total lack of class and graciousness continued on after the defeat of his idol, when Floyd decided to ridicule Mike Korom in the Dacula Patch last night for endorsing Hunter. How do you spell s-o-r-e l-o-s-e-r?

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 11 months ago

You bet I explained it to him. Korom was acting like his endorsment actually did something for Hunter. Korom's endorsement was so sincere that he left the mudslinging and the link to the reprimand letter on his site. Korom finished so far behind everyone else in the primary you needed a telescope to find him. His endorsement didn't do diddly for Hunter and frankly I was VERY happy when the announcement was made.

nicholson 1 year, 11 months ago

Floyd, I think the Scientologists are coming to take you back to the compound.

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 11 months ago

It is what it is...Korom's endorsement was, at best, neutral. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if it hurt a bit but we'll never fully know that one.

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually I'm fine but thanks for asking. Working a very good job and making pretty darn good money.

Ya know..one of life simple pleasures is exposing people like you who think they know something but in realty are genetically clueless. What you don't know is that I'm okay with Hunter's election. Obviously, I was completely for Commissioner Beaudreau but if it wasn't going to be Mike I was hoping it would be Tommy. He'll do fine as a commissioner.

I actually chatted with him briefly just past midnight and at a couple of times during the runoff weeks. Furthermore, I actually met with him several months before he decided to run in D4 to chip in my experience in campaigns.

So...darn it NewsReader (another coward who has to hide behind a fake name)...you can't get me on this one. Nice try though...

NewsReader 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm done with you. We're done with you. You're a LOSER as is your host you little parasite. Have a nice life!

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 11 months ago

Newsreader (again..cowardly hiding behind a name)...being done with you is like being done with the IRS. I couldn't be happier.

R 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm sure FACTCHECKER will get right on that for you, don't you think?

jack 1 year, 11 months ago

A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum..

NorcrossDot 1 year, 11 months ago

At Last. Almost all the BOC cleared out of the "Good Ole Boys". Been a long time coming.

"Another one bites the Dust" Good Job Gwinnett Voters in that district.

NewsReader 1 year, 11 months ago

I hope you are reading this Mike! You see, this is what happens when you show such little respect to the people who elected you to office. They respond in kind!

jackster 1 year, 11 months ago

well, I had hoped mike would have won - he is a stand up dude and a great commish. But also not my commish. my focus now is on the boe races. to the folks above - i hope you're happy - you replaced a good commish.

Bleudog 1 year, 11 months ago

Stand up dude??? Great Comish??? Certainly your not talking about Beaudreau. Perhaps Gwinnett will be great again. Hey Tommy, please take notice and don't disappoint us.

micronmike 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with you. It is funny hall all these people bash Mike B., yet they can never put out facts. If he was ever connected to the other 3 it would have came out already. I can't believe that people think an out of work engineer is going to do better. I bet Tommy's business starts booming soon.

newresident 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, it is a great day for the county. Now I would hope that the county commissioners would work to clean out the "good-ol-boys" that still exist in some of these oppointed Boards that countrol situations of the county. That is where many shady dealings are still taking place.

Katrina 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh, thank God! And thanks to all of you who made it to the polls! Every vote counts!!!

LoganvilleResident 1 year, 11 months ago

Some of Floyd's comments over the past couple of days included that he'd be laughing on the night of the run-off... and my personal favorite... the Hunter supporters would be in the "hater's bar" on run-off night and that the supporters should hope for "half-price" drinks.

I wonder how much laughing he did last night... and who showed up at the hater's bar?

R 1 year, 11 months ago

I was relaxing there and offered him a stool ... He didn't reply.

I guess he couldn't be seen drinking with an accused "HACK"

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 11 months ago

LoganvilleResident (another coward who hides behind a fake name)...I didn't say Hunter's supporters were be in a hater's bar. People like R for instance never really supported Hunter...they just spewed out hysterical nonsense against Beaudreau. They were haters. And yes...odds were Mike would win this. Were we to hold the same election under the same set of circumstances a hundered times Mike wins at least 98 of them. Look at the results...Hunter increased his vote total over the primary but not by all that much...Personally I was expecting about 700 or so more votes for him than he received. The election was lost by Mike because his vote did not turn out. In fact, had 2/10ths of one percent of the vote that didn't turn out for him actually voted he'd still be commissioner. A statistical oddity for sure. But it is what it is. Time to move on and get BHO out as president.

R 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah... Floyd just like you REALLY supported Hunter...

Give us just a little credit for being able to both read and retain in our memories your positions between articles.

Good grief man, you can't even back-peddle worth a flit...

You make a regular habit of peeing into the wind too?

R 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh by the way, was all that nonsense as you call it policy and / or fact based? YOU NEVER have disputed or refuted the details, just cried hater!

How DARE a voter string facts together for all to see that STARTED about 2006 till today... that's JUST unfair, those clips were BURIED and resting peacefully weren't they? After-all 2008 was a really really LONG time ago... That's just NOT Republican!

Again NOBODY disproved the details, including your laser sharp intellect!

Actually I've been accused by more than a few around here of KNOWING too much... So where's the hate on the man himself? I DO hate the policies and the mental processes that resulted in the issues so many are concerned about. Maybe that's MY flaw I've simply SEEN too much ...

Since we STILL have to actually address those issues THROUGH the BoC, this "hater" is going NOWHERE, I'll be around

Sandykin 1 year, 11 months ago

YES! Truly a victory for the citizens of Gwinnett!!!

BTW, the trash plan and the stadium are two huge reasons why he didn't get my vote, but the biggest: his arrogant attitude toward us little folks.

nicholson 1 year, 11 months ago

Hooray!! My neighbors and I stayed up last night and when the final numbers came in there was such an incredible feeling of relief to be rid of Mikey and his arrogant, condescending attitude.

It was his support for the trash plan & stadium that were the biggest (and costliest) reasons I didn't vote for him because those are definitely not the actions of a fiscal conservative, no matter how you try to spin it. In the end, he could not hide from the reality of his record and I am so glad people saw through his charade.

Buh-bye, Mikey!

pcjohn 1 year, 11 months ago

nicholson - let's hope it's goodbye. I just have a bad feeling that he'll wind up in some plum position like that other bum, Nasuti, came away with. Maybe they will go camping together and plan another useless sports stadium for the future.

nicholson 1 year, 11 months ago

At the last debate, Beaudreau announced he was going to be responsible for the Romney/Ryan campaign in our district, which makes me cringe, knowing the voter disdain for Mikey. However, his lack of popularity will have absolutely no effect when it comes to the bigger picture, Romney vs Obama vote in the fall. And since politicians & bureaucrats never seem to go away entirely - they just swap positions, I am sure he will resurface again, as the temptation of power is too much to resist.

Don 1 year, 11 months ago

The picture in the article must have been from a meeting when someone diagreed with him. That is a classic look of his disgust with the citizens during the comment period!

nicholson 1 year, 11 months ago

Exactly what I was thinking Don! I downloaded it so that when I need a good laugh in the future, all I have to do is look at that scowl and remember his classic comment that "its just a small vocal minority" of constituents that oppose his trash plan.

pcjohn 1 year, 11 months ago

I preferred the earlier picture with Mikey's smarmy smile. I'm gonna' have it blown up and hang it in my bathroom. My household will never need to buy Ex Lax again.

Don 1 year, 11 months ago

Why do I keep hearing the Wizard of OZ song in my mind of "Ding dong the witch is dead", along with the scene when the all powerful "Oz" was exposed ?

I am not in his district and with Hunter winning I am very happy.

I really wonder if Mike treats his Ricoh customers like he treats the citizens of Gwinnett?

Now I just wonder if Mike will spend some more of the counties money by demanding a recount?

Thanks to all the voters in this district that turned out and showed Mike the door!

elephanthead 1 year, 11 months ago

What the bonehead Floyd didn't seem to realize is that by trying to support his candidate by whiny, passive/aggressive jabs at other posters, he only served to remind everyone of Mike's attitude when questioned. The Floydster no doubt saw himself as a valiant defender fighting the good fight, but comporting yourself like a cranky teenage girl isn't going to sway or convince anyone. Same thing goes for several other sycophants that were posting here in the last day or two. I'd call out the names but at this point I don't care enough to look for them. I don't know a lot about Hunter - maybe he will be better or maybe not. But this election season has been about retribution so far. Voters made Mike pay for the stadium deal, the attitude, and most of all, another government incursion in the private marketplace with the garbage plan.

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 11 months ago

LOL...now this is a classic post if there ever was one...may I quote "I don't know a lot about hunter - maybe he will be better or maybe not"....and that was the rationale you used for making a vote (I'm assuming you actually voted).....and I'm the bonehead. That is a riot. Someone who didn't put a nickle's worth of effort into getting educated on candidates calling me a bonehead. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

JW 1 year, 11 months ago

If they're looking for those 56 missing votes....they're over here in the Briscoe flight path with the socialist garbage cans out front.

R 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually there were a couple of provisional ballots under the couch cushions ... (Smiles)

(Disclaimer this is a sarcastic comment for entertainment purposes only, and it should tweak at least ONE poster here - Smiles)

FordGalaxy 1 year, 11 months ago

Congrats, Tommy Hunter. Now, go make Gwinnett proud.

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 11 months ago

Ford...I believe he will. If it wasn't going to be Mike I'm glad it was Tommy.

MarciaG 1 year, 11 months ago

Way to backpedal, Floyd. Mikey is going to take you to the woodshed.

BufordGuy 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks District 3 for righting the wrong we did in District 4 two years ago!

JW 1 year, 11 months ago

If you will think back a little you will remember that Beaudreau replaced another arrogant commissioner.....then made the same mistake. This district has a history of eventually correcting it's mistakes. Best wishes to Mr. Hunter, but there's a lesson to be learned here.

R 1 year, 11 months ago

There are MANY.

Including the concept of NOT taking our consent decreed TRASH plan statewide. No need to CREATE an SRTA like structure statewide for trash.

Perhaps the remaining local leaders will be begin to provide cost reductions in the “trash program” to citizens by reducing its expense “cut”, INSTEAD of increasing taxes on others to remain “revenue neutral” when it feels benevolent, just like the big boys and girls in DC do.

We may be "stuck with it" for the remaining legal agreement, we can let Tommy review the reality of that claim first, but the BoC can begin long range planning RIGHT NOW to run our county WITHOUT the “slush fund” this thing created so the "policy" that brought this down on our heads can be allowed to expire.

Because policies DO expire.

SnellvilleEE 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank God Tommy won! Hope he can eliminate Mike's "Ronald Reagean Parkway Extension to I85 Study" (Mike's Grayson home to I85 expressway?).

gwinnettisgreat1 1 year, 11 months ago

It is very simple why Mike lost. He lost touch with reality and the people he represents.

The reality that he lost is that the people of his district care and they expect to be cared about. Mike's attitude towards the very people he represented was horrible at best. The thing is, I don't even think he realizes it. I bet he does this morning though.

He, just like Obama, thinks he knows better than you do. His trash plan was better for you... he just needed to raise your property taxes and you would love it! Obama just needs to raise your taxes and you will love your healthcare! Sorta like a nurse giving a shot... just hold still this won't hurt a bit! LOL.

Mike, when you take a long look in the mirror this morning, realize that you did this to yourself. You let the "I know better than you" attitude slip out one too many times.

Adios.

CD 1 year, 11 months ago

District 3, this is trash that should not hit the recycle bin.

Enjoy retirement, MikeyBoy. Anyone have a spare bumper sticker that I can place on my trashcan?

NewsReader 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh yes, that would be great! I would love to stick the "Vote for Mike Beaudreau" stickers all over my garbage cans! LOL!

Kent 1 year, 11 months ago

Finally enough intelligent voters got to the polls and put this BOC member in the garbage where he belongs. Too bad we have to pay for his garbage plan, the stadium, and other overspending from now on. Maybe Debbie Dooley can send Floyd a nice little card to make him feel better. They are both feeling rather melancholy right now.

JW 1 year, 11 months ago

Is it just me...or can somebody explain how Debbie Dooley all of a sudden represents Republicans (to the extent that she's a delegate)? I'm pretty "far to the right" but she sure doesn't represent me. She blew it big time on the Beaudreau endorsement...and by the way...who cares?

suedehead 1 year, 11 months ago

IMO, politicians are politicians. Some are better than others, but all seem about the same. I don't know if Hunter will be any better. I question why someone runs repeatedly after suffering three previous losses. Is it really because he wants to "better our community", or does he want to keep trying to get a piece of the pie? I've always heard that you never see a politician go out of office poorer than when he went in. We'll see. I just felt it was time to get rid of the status quo and bring in a newer face. I was also turned off by the fact that 8 years ago Beaudreau went door to door in my neighborhood campaigning. We spoke for 15 minutes. After he won, the only time he graced my subdivisdion with his presence was on a piece of junk mail when he was running for re-election.

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 11 months ago

suedehead...actually he had only lost twice before. D3 in 2004 and D4.

lawmon 1 year, 11 months ago

While he was not my Commissioner, Mike was always responsive to our requests. I don't recall any other commissioners holding advertised open meetings for constituents.

While obviously some folks don't agree with his positions, he was consistent in his beliefs and, I believe, voted in a way that was in the best interest of the county. He appeared to be sincere in his desire to hold the line on spending,

I hope that Mr. Hunter will do well.

Thanks for serving, Mike and good luck to you.

GeauxLSU 1 year, 11 months ago

My faith in the electorate is restored. I admit, I feared the ignorant "power of the incumbency" would do us in again. Tommy fought very hard for this and since I'm fortunate enough to know him personally, I can attest that he did it for the right reasons. It's much easier to complain about the ills of local governments. Tommy was honestly called to do more and he did it despite the long odds. Note the pictures in the article and how and where the individuals chose to watch the results. The rolled up shirt sleeved family man in his kitchen vs the slick suited country cluber I think typifies this race.
Thank you voters of district 3!! I loook forward to going to the next BOC meeting without seeing the public treated like 3 year olds.

Slyguy 1 year, 11 months ago

Perhaps Mr. Hunter will speak with Human Resources and inquire as to why complaints made by employees against a certain Division Director were swept under the rug. Even after multiple complaints of being mistreated still the Division Director is continuing to mistreat good employees.

Merit rules violations abound, poor morale yeah that is a great leader. The complaints should not

be ignored.

CD 1 year, 11 months ago

If I had my way, 1 in 3 county employess would be sent packing today along with their complaints. It's time to cut. I won't even mention Mr. online degree himself, Bovos. Well, sort of.

catvet 1 year, 11 months ago

I second the responses re: Mike's arrogance. I tried to debate the trash issue with him once and was told to "have a nice day". He just wasn't interested in listening to anyone. Sad to say, I voted for him when he first ran for the seat. He seemed optomistic and upbeat. Little did we know he would get the ' Government knows best' attitude. After the trash debacle, I emailed him that the voters would have the final say. Mike...Have a nice day.

Coolray 1 year, 11 months ago

No matter who won the only way the culture will change is for the citizens to hold the elected officials accountable. Sadly, this has been lacking in this county. How else to explain, Don Balfour being renominated last month?

Moreover, Bannister and Kenerly were both elected to political office multiple times despite questionable activities on the part of both. I am not celebrating anyone's election and will not gloat over anyone's defeat.

I calling for a vigilant electorate that holds public officials accountable for what they do and how they vote.

FordGalaxy 1 year, 11 months ago

Coolray, sometimes you just can't explain it. Just look at Clayton County. One of the men running for sheriff is awaiting trial on 37 counts of felony corruption. And he won. They re-elected Victor Hill. Cynthia McKinney won re-election several times. The problem is most of the electorate is absolutely ill-prepared and ill-educated when it comes to politics. On Election Day 2008, I remember my boss at work asking everyone who came in wearing a sticker who they voted for. He would then ask who was running with that person. Better than 3 out of 4 Obama voters didn't even know who Obama running mate was. You have single-issue voters, which is stupid. That would be like saying "My car is breaking down. I keep replacing the front drivre's-side tire, but the car keeps breaking down." You have to look big picture.

And another thing...changing our government won't start from the top down. We have to start changing things at the local level and working our way up. I don't live in Gwinnett, but as I stated before, I've known Tommy Hunter my whole life. I really hope he maintains the conservatism that he's shown when I've talked to him.

NewsReader 1 year, 11 months ago

Cynthia McKinney? What a moonbat! And who fills her seat now? Isn't it Hank "Guam is gonna tip over" Johnson?

Mack711 1 year, 11 months ago

She now is living in California on her generous pension,voted on by her friends, from being in Congress, at last report.

Coolray 1 year, 11 months ago

I said I will not celebrate or mourn any elections. People are people and power breeds arrogance and corruption in all "people" especially when the electorate fails to hold the people they elect accountable.

Mack711 1 year, 11 months ago

Floyd would you please get back on this forum and explain why Mike lost by 56 votes. Sure do miss you and would like to hear from you.

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 11 months ago

Gladly Mack....I'm still looking at various precinct results but generally speaking the overall numbers tell the story. Hunter increased his vote totals but frankly not by much. The outcome was simply because about 3000 of those who voted in the primary didn't return for the runoff. Why that happened is something none of us will know conclusively but I've been in a similar campaign to Hunter and saw basically voter apathy affect people returning. Remember that only tiny portion of registered voters come to vote in a runoff anyway but when you were as far ahead as Mike was it happens. If onl 2/10ths of 1 percent of the voters that stayed home actually voted most everyone here would be singing a different song. Happens...

CD 1 year, 11 months ago

Brilliant. Almost as if the loss had nothing to do with a commissioner that abhors a free market, detests responsible spending policies, and was a general failure communicating with the public. I would expect such sentiment from Rountree.

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 11 months ago

CD...who are you talking about...none of those apply to commissioner beaudreau.

The numbers don't lie. It is what it is.

R 1 year, 11 months ago

Well how did Kathy Shrader do it man?

rocknroll 1 year, 11 months ago

Beaudreau supportes will get the last laugh. Sooner or later Hunter will show his true colors. He is backed by the Bannister-Kennerly bunch and has already tried to pull some things that would even make Balfour blush. You Hunter guys got what you wanted. Hope you enjoy living with it.

R 1 year, 11 months ago

@Rock what did he pull? What do we need to be on the lookout for?

Rocket1300 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh boy, I'd expected a lot more class from my fellow republicans but sadly, they are showing here that they are just sore winners. Shame on you children for being such children. You cyber commando's know who you are. You'd never show such ignorance in person, so you hide behind here. Congrats to Mr Hunter and god speed.

kevin 1 year, 11 months ago

Gwinnett is the only place I know where the residents & business owners must pay for garbage 12 months in advance. This kills seniors and people on a fixed monthly income. I have been telling folks for years. Never re-elect people and we won't be in this mess anymore. The politician will then learn to make their mark during their 4 years and will have no further chance to steal from the taxpayer. Get new blood every four years and then you can sit back and compare them all together.

JW 1 year, 11 months ago

Close don't count except in "horseshoes and hand grenades".

R 1 year, 11 months ago

Include "drones" in that set and you got a deal...

jjbod1 1 year, 11 months ago

Well 3rd time was a charm, congrats Tommy : ) Just keep in mind, you will not get a second chance as the others have in the past if you don't do this right. Most of us now are done playing games.

MichelleCouch 1 year, 11 months ago

I learned of Mike Beaudreau in 2001 when I began attending GCPR Planning meetings. I can pinpoint the date as it was the beginning of my volunteerism with GAA and Bay Creek Park in Grayson.

Mike submitted brilliant, thought-provoking questions to county staff from his seat a few rows behind me. I thought to myself, who is this guy and where did he come from? I also remember him having very innovative ideas and instincts.

I continued to see Mike at County/Community meetings and events. I worked at the Grayson Gazette (Tri-City Times) and it wasn't long before I officially met Mike and his wife, Tegwen. We became good friends during Mike's first campaign for Commissioner.

Mike & Tegwen are the same people today that they were then, with the exception of the battery and bruises sustained from an ungrateful public.

I can say, with the highest degree of confidence, that Mike Beaudreau entered the political arena with integrity; I absolutely trust that it remains in tact to this very day.

I believe that Commissioner Beaudreau has served our District for the right reasons. Mike Beaudreau may not be warm and fuzzy. However, it is not his job to run a public relations office, but to lead a considerably-populated district in a challenged economy. Additionally, maintaining his career, honoring family commitments, and furthering his service to others by coaching a high school track team and serving as a youth mentor at his church.

Commissioner Beaudreau is to be commended for his desire and commitment to make our community a better place, and for his dedication to help make a difference in the lives of our young people.

I have watched the news boards with significant disdain, witnessing the insults from both sides while each poster points the finger of bad-behavior, all the while demonstrating exact same, said behavior! Sore losers and sore winners do no good for either candidate.

Hunter will be faced with tough decisions that you will disapprove of. Hunter will make recommendations for projects/plans that you will disapprove of. You support him now, but not 100% of you will support him in four years; even less in eight, if re-elected.

No public official shall ever please his entire voter base post-election.

As a former newspaper publisher, political activist and volunteer, I interacted with more politicians in office for the wrong reasons than for the right ones - the primary reason that I walked away from a career which I dearly loved. I could no longer stomach the corruption and back-door deals that served no one but the self-serving.

I will say with great confidence, Commissioner Beaudreau is not such a politician. Commissioner Beaudreau is an honorable public servant in which I hold in the highest regard.

Thank you Commissioner Beaudreau for your service to District 3. I will certainly miss your leadership.

pcjohn 1 year, 11 months ago

You lovingly classify Beaudreau as an " honorable public servant". In my mind, at least, such a "servant" would not force down the public's throats projects like the trash plan and baseball field that the public clearly did not want. Since these projects constitute taxation without representation, I question his being "honorable" to the democratic principles of this Nation.

Rocket1300 1 year, 11 months ago

Well said Michelle, well said and couldn't have said it better.

NewsReader 1 year, 11 months ago

Michelle, say what you will about Mike. I'm glad you had positive experiences with him. However, my personal experiences on multiple occasions witnessed him being pompous and arrogant, and downright rude and ugly to the people of Gwinnett County. Look, I know in a position of authority, you will make at least half of the people angry with the decisions you make. I get that. But Mike's actions toward the people of Gwinnett County and his disdain for his constituents is unacceptable on any level. He never treated me that way, but he certainly did others as I watched in total amazement. He can, at a minimum, treat people with dignity and respect, and especially those who have shown him respect. This is precisely why I wouldn't vote for the man. The fact of the matter is, Hunter didn't win this election. Mike lost it.

Katrina 1 year, 11 months ago

NewsReader, you are so right. The disdain with which Mike treated people was something to behold. At commissioner meetings, his atrocious body language said, "I can't wait until you shut up and sit down," prompting one woman last March or April to stop in the middle of her three-minute speech and ask Mike to quit rolling his head around. If he can't take a look at his arrogant behavior, he will never get any further in politics, regardless of any positive traits he may have.

Rocket1300 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, since he lost this election (in my opinion, Floyd is on the money, his supporters thought he'd win and didn't show up at the polls, shame on them.) let's all take bets on when the Trash Plan will be eliminated and we will go back to the old system. I was never a fan of this plan but I can't lay blame for it in the face of lawsuits from our former governor Roy Barnes. Nobody blames him for the lawsuit that forced the Trash plan in the first place. But it was a ill conceived deal from the get go. I've been around Mike since 04 and have never found him to be unpleasant. He was responsive to my input and while we didn't always agree (the trash plan) he was always pleasant and responsive. But I was also respectful and pleasant. You get more with honey than vinegar.

I support Mike in getting a recount done, but I also hope to see him return to his attention to his family and career. He has done enough and wish him success in his future endeavors, political or otherwise.

Now leave the guy alone. It's done. Go home, take your balls with ya and get ready for that Trash plan to go away... pooff..

R 1 year, 11 months ago

IF GWINNETT County had followed through on the PUBLIC promises it MADE about hauler selection being under competitive bid - WE would not have seen Barnes or any OTHER attorney here in Superior Court.

If the BoC in 2006 had NOT bypassed COUNTY procurement purchasing procedures that were in effect at the time, there would have been NO successful court action or a long term consent decree required.

Its time to be sure that the BoC doesn't get any more dependent on the cash-flow it currently sees from trash funding.

A GREAT start would be a reversal of the recent trash tax increases on many so the BoC could provide a reduction for a small set of seniors and actually FUND those senior "cuts" from elimination of county administrative involvement.

No time like the present to begin the unwinding.