Sheriff Conway endorses Hunter in District 3 runoff

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Sheriff Butch Conway is endorsing challenger Tommy Hunter in Tuesday's GOP runoff for District 3 commissioner.

Hunter faces incumbent Mike Beaudreau, who is seeking his third term on the board.

"Tommy Hunter is a solid conservative who will be responsive to Gwinnett's citizens. I urge you to vote for Tommy on Tuesday," Conway said to voters. "You can make a difference."

Conway, who is unopposed for his fifth term, has been involved in county commission races before. He campaigned for challenger Lorraine Green, when the commissioner mounted an unsuccessful challenge to then-Chairman Charles Bannister in 2008.

Hunter said he was grateful for the support.

"I have always had the greatest respect for Sheriff Conway. He's been a driving force for conservative causes in Gwinnett for many years and earning his support is a great honor for me," Hunter said. "I look forward to serving the citizens of District Three with an open door policy and respect for my constituents that will make all who have given their support to my campaign proud."

Comments

nicholson 2 years, 1 month ago

As recent history clearly proves, Butch was 100% right in the previous run-off when he backed Lorraine Green against Bannister and he is right in this run-off too. Hopefully, voters will listen this time and we can avoid the status quo of the last 8 years.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah...his endorsement really meant a lot in that race now didn't it.

The telling point here is that his endorsement comes incredibly late in the campaign. If he was really serious he would have endorsed weeks ago. Conway's endorsement is meaningless.

Remember, John Linder endorsed Mike's opponent in the runoff in 2004. Mike won 58-41 and Butch Conway is no John Linder.

R 2 years, 1 month ago

Translation for those late to Floyd’s “sock puppet” convention in District 3.

Conway's now a HATER!! Conway's now a Hater!! Conway's now a HATER!!

All because he's NOT really serious, determined by super “telepathic” powers…

It MUST be the reporter's fault that broke the story ...

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 1 month ago

and there you go again with your mindless hysteria. Conway's not a hater...it just is a meaningless endorsement...why is it at the last minute if he was really serious.

Grasp the obvious.

NewsReader 2 years, 1 month ago

Floyd, you of all people should know "mindless" and "hysteria". You're very good at both!

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 1 month ago

Say what you will (while being to scared to actually use a real name as I have) but odds are I'll be a lot happier tonight than you will.

BufordGuy 2 years, 1 month ago

He was probably just wanting to "gather all the facts" before he made a decision---you know, one that is in the best interest of all Gwinnett's citizens.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah buford guy...that's why he waited until after early voting was done to do the endorsement.

I'm such a braves fan that I don't watch games on TV and the only game I attend is the last one.

Go back to bed

R 2 years, 1 month ago

I do grasp reality Floyd, I just wish I could share it with you somehow ...

STEVERAMEY 2 years, 1 month ago

Thank goodness Butch is no John Linder. We had little to no representation for 16 years in the U.S. house.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 1 month ago

Move into John Lewis' district. Talk about no representation...

gwinnettresident1 2 years, 1 month ago

You are da*n right. I have tried to contact him 2 years. I guess they can tell by my southern accent that i dont need a return call...LMAO

roaads1 2 years, 1 month ago

I voted for Mike this morning. Butch has been a great sheriff but I vote for who I think will do the best job. So many people complain about our leaders because they are small thinkers and create a bias because an official voted on or against something they care about one way or the other. Using that logic no elected official will ever be re elected. They will always do something these people do not like. Tommy Hunter, if elected will vote on something in a way that the very people "hating on" Mike do not like. Then they will be on this forum before HIS re election saying the same thing about him they are saying about Mike. Sad, small minded, selfish, and foolish.

jack 2 years, 1 month ago

"Using that logic no elected official will ever be re elected."

As it should be.

Dubbin 2 years, 1 month ago

Here's my theory: Conway can not stand the McKinney/Bannister bunch. There's no way he would endorse Hunter if he were a McKinney/Bannister sock puppet. However, and here's where it gets interesting, Conway has at least some idea of what is going on with the Federal bribery case against Shirley Lasseter. The only reason Lasseter hasn't already been sentenced for a crime she CONFESSED TO is because she is telling the Feds something in hopes of getting her sentence reduced. Now put two and two together and ask yourself why Sheriff Conway would endorse Beaudreau's opponent all of a sudden. Again, this is a theory, but I'm starting to wonder if Conway knows that something bad is coming Beaudreau's way.

GeauxLSU 2 years, 1 month ago

The power of the incumbency is amazing. The fact the citizens of Gwinnett would put Beaudreau back in office is nothing short of incredible. Thankfully he didn't get 50% in the primary which clearly shows MOST voters aren't happy with him yet will those same voters get to the polls today to send him packing so we can finally have a clean slate? People just can't be bothered. Much easier to complain or pretend it's not as bad as it is. We absolutely get what we deserve when we keep putting these guys back in. Mr. Hunter is a good man with the right convictions that would bring the genuine positive type of chang that commission needs. Good for Conway for endorsing him regardless of political expediency.