BUFORD -- The Outlaw Motorcycle Club -- a national biker gang notorious for dealing in drugs, guns and danger -- has Gwinnett ties.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation charged 21 gang members Thursday after a lengthy undercover investigation and raids at the gang's affiliate clubhouses in Buford and southwest Georgia. A total of 23 people were indicted for alleged crimes ranging from trafficking in cocaine and methamphetamine to transporting "destructive devices."
Among those locations raided Thursday was the Hoodlums Motorcycle Club headquarters on South Waterworks Road in Buford, federal officials said. The Hoodlums are associated with the Outlaw Motorcycle Club, officials said.
Two Buford men -- Benny "Outlaw Benny" Leverett, 46, and Phillip Alexander, 49, who has a nickname unfit to print -- now face federal indictments. Alexander has been charged with aiding and abetting the possession of cocaine and methamphetamine with the intent to distribute it; Leverett has been charged with methamphetamine-related counts.
Thursday's bust was the result of a two-year investigation.
"The charges unsealed today allege that these motorcycle club members engaged in substantial drug trafficking and weapons offenses," U.S. Attorney Sally Quillian Yates said. "This case is a big step forward in making sure that these groups don't threaten the safety of our North Georgia communities."
Others arrested Thursday included Larry McDaniel, the president of the "silver region" of the Outlaw Motorcycle Club, and Howard Brown, the Georgia president of the Outlaw-affiliated Black Pistons Motorcylce Club. Among dozens of drug trafficking and weapons charges, two Outlaws were also indicted for their alleged attempts to construct "a bomb strong enough to destroy a house."
The criminal charges "all relate to acts by individuals or small groups of individuals, and do not allege that any of the criminal acts were performed on behalf of the motorcycle gangs or as an official part of membership in the gangs," federal officials said in a statement.
The case was investigation by multiple agencies, including the FBI and Georgia Bureau of Investigation, as well as the Forsyth and Hall County sheriff's offices.
According to its official website, the Outlaws Motorcycle Club was formed in Illinois in 1935. Many members subscribe to the "one percenter" way of life -- meaning if 99 percent of motorcyclists are law-abiding, than Outlaws are the remaining 1 percent.
The group has been the target of many homicide, drug and weapons investigations over the years. One of its mottoes is G.F.O.D. -- "God Forgives, Outlaws Don't."