Experience is hot topic at runoff debate

Staff Photo: Camie Young Commissioner Mike Beaudreau, left, and challenger Tommy Hunter participate in a forum Wednesday, preparing voters for Tuesday's Republican primary runoff for the District 3 slot.

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Experience and questions of ethics brought out political fireworks Wednesday, less than a week before a runoff determines a county commission race and two judgeships.

The biggest fight occurred between State Court candidates Emily Brantley and Pam Britt, when Britt blasted her opponent for a recent mailer calling her a "liberal Democrat."

Brantley pointed out that Britt voted in the 2008 Democratic presidential preference primary and printed a picture of Britt at a Democratic party event.

"I thought the voters had a right to know," she said, adding that a major complaint from constituents is that politicians lie during campaigns. "I did set the record straight."

At the GOP event, though, Britt called herself a conservative, said she has voted Republican in six of the past seven primaries and only attended a Democrat event to campaign in the nonpartisan race.

"I've made a point to reach out to all the people," she said. "That is why it is a nonpartisan race, because judges represent all the people in the community."

The two also sparred on experience, with Britt pointing toward her work in criminal cases and Brantley citing her extensive civil practice in campaigning for a court where 75 percent of the cases are civil.

Experience was also the hot topic in the Superior Court runoff race between Kathy Schrader and Tracey Mason Blasi.

Blasi touted her work in real estate and other taxpayer issues, while Schrader said she has more experience in family matters, also a big portion of the court's function.

"You don't send a quarterback into the Super Bowl that never played football before," Schrader said. "The courtroom is the battlefield of the law. ... I am a seasoned general on that battlefield."

Blasi also talked about her experience as a mediator, saying the practice can save thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of court time if it is used, especially in divorce cases.

"We've gotten to a point where we have to focus on the differences," Blasi said. "I feel like I am the only candidate who fights for taxpayers."

Heated discussions on experience also overshadowed the debate between District 3 commission candidates Tommy Hunter and incumbent Mike Beaudreau, who will square off in the GOP primary runoff Tuesday.

Beaudreau, who is seeking his third term, talked about his "track record" on issues such as cutting government spending and balancing development issues.

Hunter, who has worked on the county staff and boards, said as an engineer he knows how to direct the county staff on issues such as water and transportation. He also talked about running government like a home -- cutting expenses when the economy gets bad.

And both promised to work on gaining public trust after recent scandals rocked the county.

"I've served with some good people and some not-so-good people," Beaudreau said, adding that he was truthful in recent investigations and those who had done wrong were being held accountable. He also touted his monthly constituent meetings as a way to stay in touch with people. "Being a commissioner is about balance, and I have that track record."

While Beaudreau accused Hunter of working for "land barons" financing his campaign, Hunter said his pursuit of the office is all about making Gwinnett a better place for his kids.

"I'm asking people to put a little trust in me," he said. "Give me a shot. I won't make a fool of you."

Comments

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

Given that hired political gun Joe Newton and Bill McKinney (Charles Bannister’s long time business partner and political advisor) are working with Tommy Hunter, common sense would drive one firmly and quickly toward Mike Beaudreau. Joe just had his hand slapped by the Ethics Committee again for filing frivolous complaints against Mike during campaign season (both are no-nos). During Bannister’s re-election campaign Joe’s one-man PAC (later declared invalid) funneled laundered cash into the Bannister coffers (the latter failed to note this on his campaign contributions filings and was formally punished by the Ethics Committee). Joe’s rap sheet is (literally) sixty plus pages long, and he has all too often been brought in to do the dirty work to keep Bannister hands clean. If there are any questions regarding the company that Mr. Hunter is keeping, it would serve one (and Gwinnett County) well to do some careful homework on this.

Karl 1 year, 8 months ago

Cleanupguy, you are correct. The two scoundrels you mention, Newton and McKinney...three scoundrels...Bannister, are backing Hunter. Except they are backing him behind the scenes where they all hope they can remain.

Thanks for bringing this to the readers. Gwinnett certainly doesn't need a commissioner like Hunter who is in the pocket of Bannister, McKinney and Newton.

Though some folks have disagreed with Beaudreau over POLICY issues (garbage plan with me), he has not been part of the corrupt crowd. I fear Hunter, covered with the ooze from these three crooks you talk about, would bring us more headlines about indictments and charges in our commission.

nicholson 1 year, 8 months ago

Nice try to distract from the real issue, but I do not care about Joe Newton, Bill McKinney or any other political hack - this race is about Beaudreau. I am in his district and can tell you first hand that he is not responsive to constituent concerns and doesn't bother to answer emails. He runs as a conservative and governs as a Democrat, which I find dishonest. If the garbage fiasco is such a great deal, why doesn't he tout it on his campaign flyers and why won't he respond to the fact that residents in Dekalb and Fulton are paying $10 for same service with same haulers while we pay $18.35? He has stated he supports raising the sales tax, and he touts the great alliance between the BOC and Chamber of Commerce, which we now know is receiving our taxpayer dollars from the school system (so one can only surmise that the massive failed TSPLOST campaign may have been in part paid by our school taxes). He was for having the taxpayers responsible for the airport before he changed his vote when Lassiter was indicted. He has repeatedly shown he is for MORE government. I was at the forum last night, and I cannot believe any true conservative who really looks at his record would vote for him. Even if he wins, I doubt he will finish out the term with all of the ongoing investigations, so we will be in the same old situation again with a special election when he gets removed.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

REALLY? I'm not in his District and he has been an invaluable help on numerous occasions over the years. Perhaps we received help because we were receptive, cooperative and left our sense of entitlement behind. Sorry that you could not be bothered to read my previous regarding the cost issue and such - those facts can be a real bummer. You have broad-brushed him, bereft of facts, to fit your opinions, which is fine, however, having (literally - Mr. Newton has a 60 plus page rap sheet) criminal types in Hunter's corner SHOULD be of great concern, on my planet at least.

nicholson 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow, touched a nerve - it seems you are more upset than anything because I don't hold your OPINIONS in such high esteem as you obviously do. Your repeated referencing to your own posts is quite amusing though.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

Nope, no nerves bothered here - I just hate to be redundant. Also, you provided only mindless evocative mudslinging garbage, which is intellectually a complete waste of my time. You also demonstrated pure laziness in not looking at facts presented (not mere opinion). You surely do sound like a "plant" to me.

nicholson 1 year, 8 months ago

Typical Cleanupguy response - if you don't agree with me, you must be part of dirty mudslinging opposition. Here is a newsflash, other conservatives have opinions differing from yours. BTW, love the brilliant "enemy of my enemy is my friend" logic. You and Teelee must be holding hands and singing Kumbaya by now.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

The persuasiveness of your fact laden comments has convinced me. But seriously, I assume that the criminal element in Hunter's camp is OK with you liberals, but I must respectfully differ. Notice that I didn't need to resort to insults, which is always a clear sign of a weak argument.

nicholson 1 year, 8 months ago

If I was a liberal, I would be voting for Mike since he loves increasing the size of government. As for insults, I believe you are the one spouting off about child molesters and commies.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

Ummm - actually, he directly assisted in the cost reduction and RIF (reduction in force) program, which avoided a millage increase, not sure how that's increasing government. So I guess you're you're OK with criminals supporting your candidate. Fine - an honest difference of opinion.

nicholson 1 year, 8 months ago

Increasing government by taking away free enterprise system of garbage hauling and creating govt bureaucracy. And you are fine with BFI and other contractors that do business with the county making contributions to Mike's campaign.

Kent 1 year, 8 months ago

I totally agree that his voting record shows that he is not a conservative and he has made decision after decision which cost the taxpayers millions now and forever more. Why Debbie Dooley supports this character is beyond me. She has lost all credibility in my book by association with MB. The company you keep is a reflection of who you are.

Putter 1 year, 8 months ago

There is no question Joe Newton has a rap sheet. Just as legal authorities sometimes use former computer hackers to be able to detect other hackers, perhaps Newton would be the best person to detect a corrupt official since he has the mindset and knows where to look (where the bodies are). Interestingly enough, Mike Beaudreau has not responded to any of the accusations such as the $400,000 in taxpayer money spent for the golf course underpass at Summit Chase or his vote for approval of the county contract for copiers (his employer), a clear conflict of interest. If they are not true, why no response at all?

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, Karl, this will be a crucial vote for Gwinnett, very likely we’ll get a single-digit turnout (which the Bannister Bunch is counting on), but all citizens will feel the pain down the road if Hunter slithers in to office beholden to these bedfellows. Regarding your issues with the garbage deal, most of the stink over that was not Mike’s doing. The original plan was actually pretty sound, and Lorraine Green openly solicited community input (she even had a forum set up on a personal website), which was vastly positive. Around the time of her departure from office (see “Bannister Bunch” – Green was replaced by Bannister’s personal sock puppet Lasseter via the same tactics now being used by the same people in the Hunter effort) the plan took a dark ugly turn. Suddenly the required hauler bond amounts were raised to the roof, eliminating the smaller (existing) companies from even submitting bids. The recycling requirement (later dropped) was to be enforced by Gwinnett Clean and Beautiful. Years before that Gwinnett passed a graffiti ordinance that was to be enforced by GCB, and at that time I personally advised the county legal staff (not the sharpest pencils in the drawer) that a private company absolutely cannot be tasked with a law enforcement function. Back to the trash deal, GCB enforcement of an ordinance was still not legally viable, haulers that were shut out sued, the plan was shut down, resurrected altered and implemented, and taxpayers were left paying for the cleanup. I hold our glorious leader Bannister and his Buddies the most responsible for that debacle – I’ll be very surprised if Lasseter hasn’t already sung to the Feds about some of that as well.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

So why did we pay 2 consultant groups concerning the selection of service providers and tax bill presence ONLY to IGNORE the findings at the loss to taxpayer better than 125K?

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Bonding fees that were SUDDENLY raised in a dark turn?

The partnership with Gwinnett Clean and Beautiful was Green’s plan...

You mean the doubled fees that were supposed to go to the building of a "new" county recycling facility that never really “appeared”?

Come to think of it, I never heard of those fees being returned to businesses involved either.

Bannister had his role for sure, but you can't forget the 5-0 commision vote that started the whole ball of wax a rollin...

INCLUDING bypassing the Gwinnett policies of Procurement that would have GREATLY reduced if NOT ELIMINATED the lawsuit exposure, see 2012 Airport vote.

NO that position of HONOR belongs to ALL involved in 2006. I know, I know, it was such a long, long, long time ago afterall...

BUT sadly my wallet's still a payin'... for someone else's arrogant playin's

buzzbrockway 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm proud to support my friend Mike Beaudreau in the Commission District 3 runoff. He's an honest and competent Commissioner who has served Gwinnett well.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

He doesn't seem to hear YOUR concerns about the 6 month blackout period at this point...

buzzbrockway 1 year, 8 months ago

Well Rich, I don't look for candidates who do 100% of everything I want. I look for honest competent people who work hard for their constituents. In the District 3 election there was no question about it Mike Beaudreau is the right guy.

I wish I was RICH.

But I'd settle for a lot more people just being actually LISTENED to and the consultants’ advice that we pay so much for as a county to be executed more often…

He says its one of his crowning achievements…
You point out it needs review because it’s troublesome… He says it’s one of his crowning achievements...

There is a trend on display right there AND you’re on his SHORT list. He who has ears, let him HEAR! He who has eyes, LET him SEE!

buzzbrockway 1 year, 8 months ago

You're twisting his words Rich. Ethics reform passed by the Commission was something Mike pushed for for years and thankfully with new Commissioners on board it passed. You can debate the particulars but overall it was very good and sent the right message to the voters.

Read what the FBI had to say, the new ethics rules helped catch Shirley Lassiter.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

GRAND Juries will do that yes...

BufordGuy 1 year, 8 months ago

Buzz, I have met you a couple times and took you to be honest and a straight-shooter. My understanding, granted not told directly by you but second-hand, is that you supported Mr. Hunter when he ran in District 4 even though Beaudreau was going door-to-door for Tim Sullivan. Was that not correct? If true, are you suggesting by this comment that Mr. Hunter is NOT a honest competent person who would work hard for their constituents, or are you saying both are but Mike is your friend so given the equal choice you choose your friend--which, in my opinion by the way, is completely acceptable.

buzzbrockway 1 year, 8 months ago

It's true that Mike is a close friend of mine and has been for 12 years now. We don't agree on everything but if I didn't think he had done a good job and didn't deserve reelection I would have told him so.

As for Mr. Hunter, I've been disappointed by his conduct and some of the people he's chosen to associate with during this campaign. Let's just leave it at that for now.

Buzz Brockway August 9, 2012 at 8:25 am

Not much of what Joe Newton says can ever be substantiated.

The BoC needs to close this loophole ASAP. Politically motivated ethics complaints are bad but special rules for incumbents is not the answer.

Putter 1 year, 8 months ago

Buzz, you won't be getting my vote in November after reading your August statement on the ethics bill and now watching you back pedal to defend Beaudreau. It seems like principle takes a back seat to protecting your buddy.

buzzbrockway 1 year, 8 months ago

Putter,

I'm sorry I lost your support and you certianly have the right to vote for someone else but I'm not back peddling to support Mike, I'm up front about it. He's done a great job and deserves reflection.

As for my stand on the $100 gift cap I think you've proved my point: many people have made a gift cap the sum total of ethics reform. I find that sad.

There are several things we need to do most imprtantly fully enforce the ethics laws we have and properly punish those who have done wrong. And if you want to reduce lobbyist spending, the $100 gift cap as proposed is not the way to go. It won't reduce lobbyist spending one iota.

Putter 1 year, 8 months ago

Buzz, I think you misunderstood - I was referencing your August 9 comment (posted above) concerning the Gwinnett ethics law: "The BoC needs to close this loophole ASAP. Politically motivated ethics complaints are bad but special rules for incumbents is not the answer". The only reason the 6 month period that was written into the Gwinnett ethics law was to protect Beaudreau and we are the only county in GA with it.

BufordGuy 1 year, 8 months ago

I met Mr. Hunter when he was running for District 4 two years ago. You might be able to accuse him of some things, but being a Bannister man isn't one of them. As a matter of fact, the reason he is even in District 3 is because Bannister's right-hand man, John Heard, lobbied hard to have him put in D3 out of fear he'd challenge him again in 2014--and many of us were hoping he would. I know personally there are some deep- pocket folks that have given Hunter money (us regular Joe's can't afford to fund a campaign any more), but I can GUARANTEE you he want lie about it, side step it, or lie about what those folks do. No doubt the Bannister Clan will be out stumping for Mr. Hunter now that their guy Oberholtzer is gone, but make no mistake, it's their disdain for Beaudreau, not some back room deal with Hunter, that is their motivation. Do not let that lead you in District 3 to make the same mistake we made--vote Hunter in, don't squander this opportunity.

nicholson 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, politics makes strange bedfellows. The disdain for Beaudreau brings together a wide range of folks, just like the anti-TSPLOST crowd which had tea party, environmental and black groups all uniting for the same cause. Like you, I hope we don't squander the opportunity.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

What? No references to godless commies and child molesters? WOW - comments right out of the Newton-McKinney-Bannister playbook! Nice try, making Mike the bad guy and Hunter the hero, but again, some of the sleaziest characters in the history of Gwinnett politics are working on the Hunter campaign, and they ain't doing it for nothing (free). Sounds like you're on their team - you should be proud.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

So if Hunter IS EVIL as you claim, Why in the world did Mike B APPOINT him to a seat in Gwinnett County Government operations?

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

Congrats on meeting him with your psychic senses, BufordGuy. To what would you attribute the ardent support of Newton and McKinney then? Magic? Friendship? Professional courtesy? Checked the contributions reports yet? I believe that I was the one that labeled Heard a "Bannister Buddy" in public, but no one listened (again, just like Kenerly, uninformed voters put him in office). If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc., it probably is in fact a duck. Per your comment, these sleazy guys dislike Beaudreau, and thus the enemy of my enemy is my friend, making Mike the much better choice.

NO not really…

The PUBLIC airport stance difference between Heard and Sullivan probably did that. The vote may have gone a different way had the airport issue not been in play at the time.

FordGalaxy 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not in Gwinnett County, so I don't get to vote on this, but I've known Tommy Hunter all my life. I used to go to church with him before I moved. He's a great guy and from my experience a pretty straight shooter. I would have a hard time imagining that he's "in the pocket" of Charles Bannister.

And Cleanupguy...I would suggest you get to know someone on a personal level before you say things like "slithers into office beholden to these bedfellows."

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Why it fits so well when acusing OTHERS of smearing candidates does it not? ( Smiles)

FordGalaxy 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm just saying that, given the amount of people in local government that Bannister knows, you could make tenuous associations between him and other members of local politics. If you dislike Beaudreau or Hunter, list some of their policies that you don't like instead of making wild accusations. Of course, you might want to take the Harry Reid approach and list unnamed sources.

teelee 1 year, 8 months ago

Whether you like the Gwinnett garbage plan or not, you have to admit that Gwinnett has less illegal trash dumping going on because there is no need for it. Mike Beaudreau has always been a straight shooter even when he is under fire. He kept an open mind on the airport issue unlike others who would not consider it at all. He was cleared of any wrong doing related to land deals or anything else up there. I think he is a good man and a good commissioner. I don't always agree with him on issues but I know he will do a good job for all of Gwinnett.

nicholson 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't believe that there is less illegal dumping. Furthermore, we are paying $18.35 a month for trash, while residents in Dekalb and Fulton are being offered the same service by same haulers for $10 a month and they don't have to pay a year in advance. I know your main issue Teelee is the airport and that is why you like Beaudreau, but remember in the end, he voted against it (for obvious political reasons when Lassiter was indicted). But I am sure you feel confident, based on Mike's history, that you can bring him around to your side. There are still ongoing investigations and also the county will most likely lose in the cell phone tower case, which he had a part in and had to give depositions for. He has already cost the taxpayers millions in legal fees with the bungled garbage plan alone.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

Sad that you could not be bothered to read my previous information, to see exactly from whence the additional costs actually came, but why allow facts to get in the way of a perfectly good opinion, eh? I presume you are aware of the content of said depositions (clean-hands and performing in the interests of the county wise)? And yes, the original estimate of additional monthly collection tonnages were hit just about on target by the increases in actual tonnages collected after implementation.

nicholson 1 year, 8 months ago

I read your post and you apparently missed my point entirely, the county government SHOULD NOT have taken over the free enterprise system of hauling. IF there was such a huge dumping problem, that was an enforcement issue not reason to create another government department, which has raised the costs for the taxpayer. Mike jumped out and took the lead on the issue, so the backlash is well deserved.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Wait a minute how would you KNOW the outcome of that aledged depositon? Cleanup are you a party to that case?

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Edit my comment refers to the CELL tower legal action NOT Trash. You can read the trash Follies in Superior Court records. There are NO clean hands ...

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

If I'm not mistaken, the increase was roughly 2,000 tons per month.

NOT so

But it makes for wishful thinking considering the EXTREME cost INCREASES we pay a YEAR in ADVANCE no less.

But commissioners, would you at least give the taxpayers who are FORCED to help you keep the AAA bond rating by PAYING for things a year in ADVANCE by threat of lien a SIMPLE thank you?

Kent 1 year, 8 months ago

I do not know where you reside, but the area of the county I live still has the same illegal dumping going on. I encountered one such scumbag a couple of months ago and confronted him before he dumped a truck load. Maybe I could have been bodily harmed but I was so pissed it really did not cross my mind at the time.

rocknroll 1 year, 8 months ago

To me there are a lot of reasons to vote for Beaudreau but what I like most about him is that he stood up to the crooks Bannister and Kennerly. I remember Bannister saying that he voted on something to teach Beaudreau a lesson. He was trying to intimidate Beaudreau but that didn't work. BufordGuy says Hunter isn't a Bannister man because of stuff that happened years ago. That was then this is now. And maybe Hunter still isn't a Bannister man but that doesn't mean Bannister isn't a Hunter man. Bannister and his cronies know they won't have any influence over Beaudreau but if they help get Hunter elected Tommy owes them. McKinney and Newton used Oberholtzer as a foil because they knew he wouldn't be their man. So they helped his campaign and smeared Beaudreau because they were betting the runoff would be between Beaudreau and Hunter. So now Bannister has his man in a runoff against Beaudreau.

kevin 1 year, 8 months ago

that BOC sure knows how to play charades in the eyes of the public and get away with it. rocknroll is an example.

rocknroll 1 year, 8 months ago

Kevin- if anyone knows about playing charades it's you. You can try to discredit other people, but you're still a phony.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

Notice how there are lots of those here? Absolutely correct, rocknroll, you offered facts and the response was misdirection - exactly what we should expect.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

And YET.... Mike B kept 4500 dollars of Kennerly money when he could have returned it ALL in 2011, with absolutely no negative impact on his campaign balances. Here's ONE fact no one will address - not even Mike B himself...

“Question from Oberholtzer to Beaudreau: Don't you think you should return campaign contributions from Kennerly?”

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Hard to stand up when you get and KEEP the money unless its WWE time on SyFy...

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah.... he sure made the "tough choice" and went public to stop that 1 MILLION dollar overspending transaction huh?

Oh that's right - WE SPENT the MONEY anyway!

After all, it was for EDUCATION and the children!

gwinnettisgreat1 1 year, 8 months ago

I am in Mike's B's district and I will be voting for Tommy Hunter. No question about it. It's time for pompous Mike to hit the road and I think the voters of this county are pretty much done with old Mike. Tommy did a good job last night and he did a good job during the debate at Stars and Strikes back for the first election. Mike is worried and he should be.

As for contributors... have you looked at Mike B's list??? Amazing the people associated with BFI waste management that are contributing. Now why is that??? LOL... Cleanupguy... your name makes total sense.

kevin 1 year, 8 months ago

Beaudreau has to go once and for all. He represented the special interests in the Brisoc expansion and then changed his tune when Lassister got convicted and removed. She was his vote "for" the expansion and then he would have voted for it as well. He has been on this BOC way too long. Must vote for "anyone" new to start fresh again. Beaudreau is just one more term away from ending up like Lassister. Don't they all? I wouldn't believe one more word he tells me. Hunter is getting my vote and many others have said the same!

Cleanupguy 1 year, 8 months ago

"he would have voted for it as well" - we know this how?

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 8 months ago

lol...no kidding...just more hysteria from beaudreau haters.

CD 1 year, 8 months ago

It's a sad state when any segment of the public feels the need to defend the likes of MB. It shows that we are truly bereft of real leadership with a plan to get this county through tough economic times. It saddens me that he holds any public office.

The real issue should be what cuts are going to be made to keep spending in line with revenue. Knee-jerk tax hikes are not the answer.

Karl 1 year, 8 months ago

CD-It's a sad state when any segment of the public feels the need to spout BS like you do. Beaudreau will be re-elected. Please move to another county.

CD 1 year, 8 months ago

Karl--always terrific at name calling to be sure, but I'll ask the question direectly: where is the plan to cut spending to match revenue? Or is the plan something else? The voters of the district need to decide. MB needs to show the taxpayer his plan.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Unless the fix is in somewhere, I didn't know the election has already occurred.

I myself sure didn't see an overwhemling presence on display like the one put on by Kathy Schrader.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Cleanup Guy time to use a little soap and water

That little trash issue isn’t just a policy difference, like what door to enter through, BUT is actually a CLEAR BAIT and SWITCH. Besides it now produces revenue by and PAYS for the loss of its own income NOT by reducing the COUNTY’S “cut” one thin dime but by INCREASING taxes/fees on one set of citizens to give a small break to another small set of citizens in an election year.

This is how ever expanding entitlements are born. YEP it’s a CONSERVATIVE policy at its BEST, SUCCESS!! at REDISTRUBUTING WEALTH!

Sorry but we were publicly PROMISED during official BoC meetings that haulers in a region would be selected by open COMPETITIVE bidding. You know what actually happened in 2010? County attorney staff stood before the Superior COURT judge and stated “on the record” that the bidding process was REMOVED and NOT required, because trash was a “core” government service. (Promises made, Promises kept eh?)

WE sure publicly didn’t get THAT memo did we, even AFTER the FACT.

Besides the first few pages of the decree covered how the signers wouldn’t be personally sued themselves, their estates or families either. All this was covered first - before the “product service” was even mentioned. Think the county residents might have come in a FAR 2nd place on this negotiation on OUR behalf?

But in retrospect, if the commissions that were so “Gun Ho” on this new and improved “jewel” had actually followed the Gwinnett County Procurement rules active and on file at the time, the lawsuits probably would have FAILED - but it a Success!!

Then of course one of the reasons we just HAD to have this “plan” was the ESTIMATED 20k of residential properties that DIDN’T have service, so now we have had the program there have been upwards of 10K of residential properties that as of the LAST tax cycle haven’t PAID the trash portion of the tax…

I seem to remember another recent project that got a rating of 50/100… hmmm what was that? So is this how YOU spell SUCCESS that should go statewide?

Then there is the sour grapes CELL TOWER, you know the zoning matter that was tabled OVER 20 times? So the item could be pulled from private property and suddenly "teleport" to county land yards away? Maybe this is how you spell success? I know that’s how I spell “unnecessary COURT COSTS”

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Or maybe it is that ethics policy that is the ONLY one in all of GA’s 159 counties that restrict charges being presented 6 months BEFORE an election ….

Since charges can’t be “officially” be reviewed, I’m not sure how they could be written off as frivolous now but it really doesn’t amount to a hill of beans, just review our OWN public history, Joe Newton wasn’t involved in ANY of all that.

Even BANNISTER himself never needed this “jewel”… (Remember FULTON, DeKALB and CLAYTON don’t either, even in their zoo)

Gwinnett County: You Can Indict Us, But You Can’t File An Ethics Complaint Against Us August 8, 2012 20:22 pm Charlie

The County that keeps giving us Don Balfour and has a roughly 50-50 chance of any elected commissioner getting indicted decided it needed to strengthen its ethics policies. (You think?) Taking a page from the state legislature’s playbook, they decided they would introduce new rules to increase transparency. And then they exempted themselves from being charged with ethics complaints. Did I mention greater transparency? Because I’m sure that’s the part they wanted you to notice.

If you’re going to run on 8 years experience making the "tough" choices (Oh where are you CBS Channel 46?) HOW can you personally stand there and claim for the record something that happened in 2008 was a long, long time ago while in the process of NOT directly answering the original question? No one else has control here at all; truly it’s just the candidate himself.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

And then there is the “tough” choices ahead, fiscal issues where we face the revenue tax vs. service delivery balance and we argue this in the SHADOW of COOLRAY field’s 30 YEAR TAXPAYER obligation. If you remember, the county was discussing and / or furloughing EMS staff even as this “jewel” was coming out of the ground under a cloud of COST OVER RUNS. (It was more fun than the needed SDS agreement no doubt)

Even when this project was birthed in secret, cloaked confidentiality, we didn’t even take advantage of or leverage the offer the Braves organization made to PAY the City of Richmond for 30 percent of the cost of a stadium there….

Remember, the city THAT had an actual history working with the Braves REFUSED it OUTRIGHT! This during the GO GO times of yesteryear no less. SO… has it been the promised economic engine or is it where it was revenue wise from the years in Richmond?

And then we come to the NEW sales TAX proposal that may or may NOT make the ballot this year Mike B’s county wide FAIR tax. Well will it or won’t it be on the ballot this go around?

Please see the following data from the GWINNETT County LAW Department website. http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gwinnett/AboutGwinnett/ReferenceGuide/DepartmentProfiles/Law

Of the 3 TOP issues, only 1 has been forced on us by outside forces NOT directly under OUR own control.

Major Issues Solid Waste: Issues continue to arise with regard to the implementation of the Solid Waste Collection and Disposal Services Ordinance of 2010 and compliance with state mandates.

Water and Wastewater Issues: The State of Alabama v. Corps of Engineers lawsuit and long-range capacity issues for water and sewer will continue to demand legal attention. Service Delivery Strategy: Until the service delivery agreement between the County and the cities is resolved either through an out-of-court settlement or order of the court, this issue will remain a concern.

Acting County Attorney: M. Van Stephens 770.822.8702

Yes I was there last night and this race is CLOSE. Nothing would make my day personally than a 50.5 / 49.5 split so no one walks away with any claims of “mandate” other than representing the District 3 resident VOTERS.

Consider the statement offered at the bottom of most stock/mutual fund financial statements: “Past performance is NO guarantee of FUTURE performance, but is offered as a trend indicator only”. The question is, can we afford NOW to continue the MAJOR project spending trend-lines? It’s a high price to pay if you’re NOT certain.

About all the different county entities supplying funds to the Gwinnett Chamber, just how many different branches really NEED to contribute anyway? BoC, GVCB, CIDs, GCPS it ALL comes from OUR TAXPAYER pockets doesn’t it?

Reduce the budgeting cost, ONE source ONE line Total - or if all seen together in one place would we as citizens gasp?

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Hate to think we kicked county workers to the curb while feeding the Gwinnett Chamber from multiple pots of cash ...

We may have RIFed the wrong the set of players.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

BEFORE you personally vote folks - please at least read pages 3,4,5,10,12,13,28,29,35,36, 49,52,53 if you can’t take the time to read the WHOLE thing. (Which really every resident that votes SHOULD do)

So the GRAND JURY looked at land transactions. Gwinnett owned 4,682 parcels.

Gwinnett COUNTY purchased 1,156 parcels 2005 to 2009. They chose 17 and from that pool reviewed 5 that’s right 5 …. Out of 1156 ….

A whooping .004325 – not even a 1 PERCENT of the transactions during your term(s).
But still managed to hit earth shaking "pay dirt" about county operations ...

Taking the position ” I survived the Grand Jury” after review of such a small slice is practically the equivalent of claiming you have an IQ higher than a houseplant…
While in fact true true, is it really a testament to fitness for office?

When did "I WASN'T Indicted! become a campaign mantra?

Because after reading page 52 and then attending the AUGUST 2011 BoC meeting live where a sitting commissioner that went through the experience personally called staff BORDELINE insubordinate publicly, you have to wonder if the grand jury inquiry experience even took the slightest hold.

As was often printed in the report, just because it wasn’t proved CRIMINAL doesn’t make it RIGHT.

If you didn’t attend you can see the recorded video on the Gwinnett County Website for yourself . http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gwinnett/Departments/BoardofCommissioners/CommissionMeetingVideos

BOC Public Hearing August 23, 2011 Segement 2011-0761
Approval to clarify the actions previously approved bt yhe BOC on May 3, 2011, and May 17, 2011, related to the proposed privatization of Brisco Field. Time: 01:07:57 - 02:02:00

Full Grand Jury 2009- 2010 PDF File http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/archive/00719/Read_the_full_grand_719640a.pdf

Commissioner Nasuti’s Addendum http://www.bobgriggs.com/commissioner-nasutis-addendum-to-the-gj-report/

Research and VOTE it's YOUR money.... you should use it WHEN YOU need it!

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry.... facts are pesky things are they NOT? (Smiles)

CD 1 year, 8 months ago

R, keep on going. A personal attack is a sure sign that there is no defense to the evidence. You are pretty much spot on.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

There hasn't been much of a challenge on FACTUAL grounds has there?

rocknroll 1 year, 8 months ago

I've read things before with someone saying that you were Korom's campaign manager. I didn't think much about it, but now I'm beginning to. NO ONE spends as much time as you do writing long posts unless he has something concrete to gain. You just wrote three pages of stuff and I don't believe it's just because your a concerned citizen. Your boy didn't win so I guess now your working for Hunter. Talk about facts all you want, to me it doesn't look like your being truthful.

Putter 1 year, 8 months ago

Rocknroll, the "something concrete" that R and all of us have to gain is to stop the endless waste of taxpayer money at the hands of Beaudreau. I am mad as hell about it and am glad that R is there to expose the truth. If you actually read any of the documentation that he cites, like the grand jury report, you might not be so quick to defend Mikey.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

If I had been he wouldn't have missed filing deadlines, but thats someone's elses opps...

Sorry once again I'm NOT related to ANY campaign. but that does change MY text message or the content does it? WHY NOT CHALLENGE it?

But I am tired of watching this county reach into my pocket time and time again and telling me I WILL like it... And I have 3 minutes to be ignored if I care to speak.

I KNOW what REAL conservatism looks like AND what we have here is NOT it!
(Not unless you like to redistribute the wealth)

I’ve seen “ethics in action” and WE aren’t THERE yet!

SO challenge my text.

Call the County Attorney number and verify before you vote.

Don’t just go by all the crap we have been fed, or pick the photogenic one, or the first in line on the ballot…

This is more than an election; it’s really a VINDICATION of all past sins without so much as an "I’m Sorry, I erred along the way" in the process.

That would be a tough call that I could acknowledge.

But thats up to us district 3 residents isn't it?

rocknroll 1 year, 8 months ago

Putter I read the Grand Jury report long before R put it up here. Slice it any way you want, R is not being truthful about his motives. He will continue to claim he is just a concerned citizen but no one spends as much time as he does just because he is concerned. He has an ulterior motive otherwise he would be running for office or running someone's campaign. One thing I do know about politics in Gwinnett county is that tthere are a lot of people playing a lot of games. I looked back over a bunch of Rs posts and he is always there with page after page of stuff that takes a lot of time to find. Like I said no one spends that much time doing research and posting just because they are upset about a county government.

CD 1 year, 8 months ago

Motive of a poster does not change a fact. The bottom line is always the bottom line.

nicholson 1 year, 8 months ago

Well said, CD. The truth is the truth, and there are none so blind as those that refuse to see. Some people seem to have a blind spot when it comes to Beaudreau, and absolutely nothing will change their minds, just like the voters that kept electing Kennerly, despite the evidence of his corruption.

rocknroll 1 year, 8 months ago

Absolutely true, the motive of a poster doesn't change the facts. The poster himself does that as a result of his motivation. R has an agenda and his charade will lead to failure on Tuesday.

CD 1 year, 8 months ago

@rock: I do not intend this comment in a mean way, but I read your comment first without noticing the poster name. In my reply, I addressed my response initially to teepee, but then realized the comment did not come from that poor soul. Bottom line--your comment makes zero sense. We all have off days to be sure.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

So You don't know ANYONE who speaks truth because it needs to be said? REALLY.. That's kinda of sad

Thank you for at least stating that my INFORMATION is detailed and deep. YOU aren't challenging the TRUTH it contains because it IS true.

If Gwinnet’s going to get better, MORE folks are going to have to break down and DIG just like this.

It’s time to put the real “conservative agenda” back on the FRONT burner. ALL the things I’ve posted about won’t change on a dime come Tuesday, but the REFOCUS will come.

SabrinaWorks247 1 year, 8 months ago

I do not know who R is, but I find it surprising that rocknroll wrote this:

"He will continue to claim he is just a concerned citizen but no one spends as much time as he does just because he is concerned."

There are a lot of people in my group who spend a lot of time trying to learn more about local government because they are concerned citizens. If we had more concerned citizens, Gwinnett would not have re-elected Balfour. Are you saying that average citizens should not get involved? Leaving government to the "professionals" has not worked out real well for Gwinnett, has it?

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 8 months ago

Friends...get ready...it's less than 3 days until the D3 Commissioner race...expect all kinds of hysteria from the Beaudreau haters. Truth? not much but it's going to be interesting.

R 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes how DO you spell "hate"? For me its "FACT"

HATE=FACT Thus sayth the FLOYD

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 8 months ago

Hahahahaha...hey everyone...told ya...

They'll say anything but it will always be hate based....straight out of the Barak Obama playbook.

Putter 1 year, 7 months ago

Seriously, using the word "haters"? The only folks I ever hear use that term are the likes of Al Sharpton/MSNBC crowd, and it really lowers the quality of the debate. You would expect more from a campaign manager, but I guess demonizing any opposition to your candidate is a tactic you feel necessary to use when you are desperate.

Floyd_Akridge 1 year, 7 months ago

Putter...whoever you are...haters is the exact term to use,. There are a select group of people who do nothing but make hysterical conjecture and accusations without a shred of evidence. It's not different perspectives, etc...just nothing more than hate. It is what it is.

BTW...you are confused. I am not a campaign manager. I am not involved in Mike's campaign at all. I am speaking for me only. Hope that helps you get things straightened out.

Desperate? Not even a smidge.

Putter 1 year, 7 months ago

Ok, Floyd, whatever you say. But I would say you are more than a smidge desperate to have to vote the thumbs up on your own comments. I am just sayin'....

Floyd_Akridge's profileActivityCommentsVotes

Voted on something23 minutes ago Floyd_Akridge voted on Floyd_Akridge: Putter...whoever you are...haters is the exact ter...

Voted on something22 hours, 30 minutes ago Floyd_Akridge voted on Floyd_Akridge: Hahahahaha...hey everyone...told ya... They'll ...