LETTERS: What's the truth on global warming?

Eugene Robinson stays on script with the far-left Democrat Party in claiming that global warming is a reality ("Global warming is a reality and here to stay," Aug. 10, 8A). Unfortunately, Robinson quotes a bunch of scientists, most of whom receive grants based on producing a gloom-and-doom scenario.

Actually, I cannot find anyone who actually doubts that global warming is currently occurring. The real questions should be: Is the current global warming just another cycle of change, how much has mankind contributed to this change and what reasonable things can we do to mitigate this damage without destroying our economy? Certainly, we must reduce atmospheric carbon dioxide and other pollutants if only to clean our air, but are we to wreck our economy to do so?

The earth is constantly changing. The sands of the deserts were once the bottom of the ocean. Greenland, until the Ice Age, contained lush vegetation. Did man kill off the dinosaurs? I don't believe man caused these long-ago drastic changes.

We need to have a real conversation on what we can do to protect our climate, but I am bothered that it seems that those on the far left, who have long wanted to have total control over our country, have hitched their wagons to environmental matters having found that their former socialist/communist agenda wasn't working fast enough. Even worse, our school children are being indoctrinated to believe that we must destroy our way of life to "save the earth".

-- Ernest Wade

Loganville

Comments

charlesg 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't know how you've been so misled, but studies are conducted hundreds of times, reaching a specific conclusion, whether or not grants are involved; indeed, many people conduct their own research on their own time, donating their materials to do so. The notion that Scientists adjust their studies to reach a conclusion and thus receive more grants is fabricated nonsense.

If you want to really learn about it, only you can read the studies to get the best information possible.

Correct, the earth is constantly changing. The climate history of Earth, however, is neither haphazard nor random. What's great about this is that there are predictable cycles about many of these changes, which people can verify by reading ice cores in the Andes mountains, in Antarctica, or other remote locations which are somewhat devoid of contamination. For example, one of these cycles deals with 100,000 years of orbit adjustment with the planet Earth and how glaciation is impacted. So, you have to account for these cycles when constructing models.

Seriously? You honestly scare yourself with this rubbish? Man up.

LilburnGwinnett 2 years, 3 months ago

"I do not deny global warming, but I don't want the issue to be used by the left as a political tool to control my life and my actions. I simply want the truth."

There are no conspiracies here. The truth, Mr. Wade, is that the vast majority of scientists worldwide (here included the United States National Academy of Science) agree that global warming is most likely caused by human activity. The controversy happens in the media and is pushed by organizations linked to some business interests.

genew 2 years, 3 months ago

Both "charlesg" and "LilburnGwinnett" missed the main points of my letter. In spite of what charlesg claims, all scientists do not agree on the effect of man's activities on climate change and for him to spout these opinions as fact is ludicrous. As for his denial that scientists would ever fabricate studies, perhaps charles has already forgotten the communications between the scientists of the University of East Anglia showing that they did indeed fudge their data. Studying ice cores and what he calls predictable cycles is interesting but, even the scientists say, is not conclusive but is their opinion.

I find charles's comment for me to "man up" to be insulting as if he is any position to know me but that is the language that liberals use in attacking anyone who disagrees with their stance.

As for "LilburnGwinnett" and his comment that there were no conspiracies, he must be quite out of touch with reality. The devastation of our oil industry, coal industry and increased damaging regulations regarding emissions in the cause of "global warming" is proof that there are groups of people who are using climate change to promote their agenda of controlling our lives and our actions.

The point of my letter, which obviously went way over the heads of these two people, is that, as I plainly stated, that I certainly do believe we are having global warming but I question the motives of those who wish to shut down our economy with their "the skies are falling" and I question how much we humans actually affect global warming. Certainly, we should reduce pollutants and other emissions that negatively affect our environment but as I plainly stated in my initial letter, I "want to know the truth". And I want unvarnished truth that is not tainted by those who have political agendas, pro or con. I ask "charlesg" and "LilburnGeorgia", is this concept really so hard to understand? Are we to destroy our economy so that the left can oppose their jobs-destroying agendas on the rest of us without understanding what can and should reasonably be done? I consider myself to be a "tree-hugger" but I am quite weary of those who use global warming as a weapon to control our economy for their own personal purposes.

LilburnGwinnett 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you Mr. Wade for your reply.

Here is a quote from Rex W. Tillerson, CEO of Exxon Mobil: ''We recognize that climate change is a serious issue,'' Mr. Tillerson said in a 2006 interview, pointing to a company report that acknowledged the link between the consumption of fossil fuels and rising global temperatures. ''We recognize that greenhouse gas emissions are one of the factors affecting climate change.''

And these two paragraphs from a well known U.S. newspaper, dated February 8, 2012: "An energy boom is revving up the U.S. economy. The use of new drilling techniques to tap oil and gas in shale rocks far underground helped add about 158,500 new oil and gas jobs over the past five years, and economists think it has created even more jobs in companies supplying the energy industry and in the broader service industry. U.S. oil production is rising for the first time in decades. Natural gas has become so plentiful that prices recently plunged to a 10-year low."

"The economic benefits of rising energy production are spreading far beyond the traditional oil patch, to Ohio and Pennsylvania, Nebraska and New York, North Carolina and Idaho. Truck drivers from pretty much anywhere can find work related to the surging energy business. Private-equity firms completed $24.8 billion of energy deals of all types last year, up from $8.5 billion in 2010, according to data tracker Preqin. Manufacturing plants are returning to the U.S. to take advantage of cheap natural gas, spurring major investments in petrochemical and steel production in the Gulf Coast and Midwest."

Go ahead and Google them.

genew 2 years, 2 months ago

Again, just how far are we to go to mitigate the detrimental effects of global warming, whether man-caused or not. This was and is my basic question which you conveniently ignored. Are we to destroy mankind to offset global warming???? Please answer this for me instead of your tap dancing..... Yes, we have global warming but even experts disagree on the extent that we contribute to it. And what should/can we reasonably do about it without committing suicide? And, you first......

LilburnGwinnett 2 years, 2 months ago

I already refuted your basic argument which is, as you wrote, "the devastation of our oil industry, coal industry and increased damaging regulations regarding emissions in the casue of "global warming" is proof that there are groups of people who are using climate change to promote their agenda of controlling our lives and our actions", and your other gem: "shutting down our economy" by quoting an article from none other than (drum roll) THE WALL STREET JOURNAL.

And regarding the casue of global warming, GO TO THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES' WEBSITE AND READ THE SECTION "AMERICA'S CLIMATE CHOICES."