0

Man burned in sailboat fire at Lake Lanier

GAINESVILLE -- Authorities say a mechanic is a recovering in a hospital burn unit after a sailboat caught fire in a marina on Lake Lanier.

Fire officials say the man was working on the carburetor of a 24-foot sailboat Wednesday night, when gasoline caught a spark from a sparkplug and ignited.

Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle says the fire caused second-degree burns to the man's arms and legs.

He was taken to Northeast Georgia Medical Center by a relative, and then taken by helicopter to the burn unit at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta.

The sailboat, which was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, was described as a total loss.