First GCPS student tally short of projections

On Tuesday, Gwinnett County Public Schools completed its first enrollment tally of the year, counting 158,857 students -- nearly 4,000 less than what's projected -- but officials said they expect the number to meet projections before the final enrollment count in September.

The forecast for the day after Labor Day is 162,635, according to Sloan Roach, director of communication and media relations for the district.

Over the past five years, the district's enrollment has grown on average by about 5,000 students from the second day of school tally until the final count on Sept. 4, Roach said.

Historically, enrollment continues to climb during the year with the post-Labor Day count more accurately reflecting school enrollment.

The remaining enrollment counts will take place on Aug. 13, Aug. 20, Aug. 27 and Sept. 4.

Comments

news2me 1 year, 8 months ago

"Over the past five years, the district's enrollment has grown on average by about 5,000 students from the second day of school tally until the final count on Sept. 4"

That 5,000 figure is astronomical given the economy. Does GCPS even bother to check who they are letting into our schools? Sounds very fishy to me that that many families are actually moving into Gwinnett.

Jan 1 year, 8 months ago

Do you ever think before spouting your racist propaganda? It is absurd to believe that even most of the 5000 are from people moving into the county. As a former teacher, I know that many parents do not preregister students and, due to sickness, vacation or just plain ignorance of starting date, fail to get their children in school from the start. Note the 5000 number is only about a 3% increase from numbers gathered on Tuesday and in my experience almost all the increases have occurred by the beginning of the second week of school. Of course, some of these will be people moving into the county but only a small percentage of the increase will be in this group.

news2me 1 year, 8 months ago

"Do you ever think before spouting your racist propaganda?"

I would love for you to point out exactly where in my post that I said anything racist? YOU CAN'T! You lose all credibility when you start off a post spewing hate and making delusional accusations.

NewsReader 1 year, 8 months ago

...and this is precisely why I don't bother to debate or discuss anything with you any longer. I too would like to see the racist propaganda. Do you ever think...never mind! We already know the answer.

kevin 1 year, 8 months ago

We need a 200-day school year at least. Kids are not learning enough under this system we have.

JHogan 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe this is a strong hint that the school year should begin after Labor Day, like it did for many years,

It is hot as Hades in August in Georgia It costs a ton to cool the buildings to an acceptable level. Many parts of the country don't begin school at this early date, so why do we do it in Gwinnett County?

Why can't we shift the school year around to the coolest--no, least hot--parts of the year?

dman 1 year, 8 months ago

Jan, just asking, not arguing...but if a student (parent's fault because of laziness or ignorance) brings in a student on say Sept. 4th. Does the student have to make up the days missed? just wondering.

teelee 1 year, 8 months ago

This is why schools should start the day after Labor Day.

jenelaw 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh yes let's make exceptions for lazy parents that don't pay attention and move the start date of school to after Labor Day. That is an old tradition that is dead now because it is much better on the semester system to finish the entire semester before you give a two week break for Christmas. I remember when I was in high school taking 2 weeks off at Christmas and coming back to take exams after the holidays. It was ridiculous.

dman - students are rarely asked to make up the specific assignments when they register late, but they are responsible for the material that was taught. Oftentimes the teacher has to work one on one with that student to catch them up so that there are no gaps in learning.

News2me - Yes GCPS looks to see where the students belong, but there is a long history of students from other counties falsifying their residency to come to Gwinnett schools. It is very difficult to catch and with the economy...there is no one available to really police the issue. Every student has to show residency, but think about how easy it is to falsify.

news2me 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank you for the reply. All that time, effort and knowledge to cheat the system (and the taxpayers) but yet too lazy and ignorant to follow the rules and do the right thing. These are parents that are basically teaching their kids whow to cheat and lie at an early age to get what you want. Great role models and wonderful future citizens (sarcasm)!

Jan 1 year, 8 months ago

And yet their is a push to force the county taxpayers to pay for charter schools, which, by law, do not have a residence requirement and do openly accept students from other counties.

kevin 1 year, 8 months ago

But police spend millions on fancy technology to give out tickets.

JayCee 1 year, 8 months ago

@News2Me: GCPS checks residency at every registration. "We live in DeKalb but he gets on & off the bus at his gradnma's house in Lilburn because she takes care of him while I'm at work. Isn't that OK?" There are ways around it, but the short ianswer is "No."

@Dman: No, students aren't required to make up days missed prior to registration. The only catch is that there has to be a way to teach them the content they missed. That usually involves more work during shool and at home.

Gwinnettsince1991 1 year, 8 months ago

Football would never allow schools to open later....

kevin 1 year, 8 months ago

sports is part of the problem in high schools. If those programs would disappear, kids might learn more instead of those students getting free passes form teachers to play football. Education is a joke in this country.

Ashley 1 year, 8 months ago

Gwinnett has tons of kids from DeKalb and outside the county. When the teachers complain they are told to be quiet and let the kids finish the year out. These kids are usually pains in the rear and use large mounts of resources.

Jan 1 year, 8 months ago

What is your source? Before I retired, students found to reside outside the county were informed that they must leave or pay the part the county puts into their education. The only exception was children of Gwinnett County teachers that lived outside the county. Jaycee, in your example they are not paying Gwinnett school tax, therefore they should be paying extra to take advantage of Gwinnett's school system. While I was teaching, we did have students from outside the county that were paying the extra for this type of convenience.

dman 1 year, 8 months ago

Ashley. One way to solve this. Stop allowing Gwinnett Co. Teachers who live outside Gwinnett to bring their kids to Gwinnett Co. Schools. They don't pay Gwinnett Co. School tax, so why do they deserve that privilege? If you want to come to our schools, then move your self into Gwinnett and pay the same taxes we GC Citizens pay. Just one man's opinion.

Jan 1 year, 8 months ago

Ashley, for every teacher taking advantage of this, their are probably at least 10 that are using Grandparent's, Aunts or uncle's address to get around the system. This frequently happens also for students to get into the better sports programs.

NewsReader 1 year, 8 months ago

First of all, I would like to point out our, he who calls himself Jan, retired educator's oblivious[sic] lack of command for the English language seeing as how he cannot distinguish the difference between "there", "their", or "they're", let alone fact or fiction. Let me guess; you were a literacy coach too. LOL! Spare me that was a mistake...you did it twice in this very article.

Now dman, I am going to differ with you on the idea of teachers bringing their children to GCPS for a couple of reasons. First, our teachers, wherever they may live, need the convenience of being able to bring their children to school with them. It removes the excuse for not being present or not being there on time. I’m sure I will take some heat for that argument, but if it is paramount that adult supervision be present and available when your child arrives at school, then you certainly need to make it as convenient as possible for that adult supervision to be there and on time. Second, it is one of the benefits. They’re getting paid a miniscule salary as it is for what is likely the single most important development in a child’s life. If you develop a particularly nasty disease that is likely to be terminal, you wouldn’t seek the cheapest solution, but the best one. So why would you consider placing something so valuable and precious in the care of the cheapest resource you could find? It is one of the perks amongst few for taking on the incredibly important responsibility of educating your child. And Jan, this is an example of how you use “there”, “their”, and “they’re”. You will be tested on it every time you post!

dman 1 year, 8 months ago

Newsreader, I do appreciate the comments. We may have to agree to disagree. In this economy, PERKS have gone the way of the DoDo Bird (extinct). Again, my opinion, my tax dollars are still being used to educate a child that DOESNT reside in Gwinnett. Teachers CHOOSE to live where they live and CHOOSE to work where they work. If they RESIDE outside of Gwinnett, then they don't deserve to use my Gwinnett Co BOE-citizen taxed for-School system. Again, my opinion.

Jan 1 year, 8 months ago

Newsreader, I gave you a "like" on this one because it shows you are thinking. Sometimes I am careless and fail to proof read for which I should be called to task; however, I did not teach English as you apparently assume.

kevin 1 year, 8 months ago

Do some math. Divide the # of students into the county budget and you are fast approaching $3,000/yr per student. Wow. Are you sure the GPS system hasn't turned private? (just for dead-heads).