0

Motions filed, molestation trial delayed again for former Boy Scout leader

LAWRENCEVILLE -- A motion to dismiss has been filed in the long-delayed case of Harry Brett Taylor -- the former local Boy Scout leader charged with molesting 17 young boys.

Online court records show Taylor's attorney, Walt Britt, filed the motion to dismiss last week, some four years after Taylor's original arrest. A hearing on the motion is scheduled for Sept. 6, records showed.

Dan Mayfield, the Chief Assistant District Attorney, confirmed that information late Friday.

"The defense has filed new motions including a claimed violation of the Constitutional right to a speedy trial," Mayfield said in an email.

The motions will be heard in front of Superior Court Senior Judge Fred Bishop, Mayfield said. A new trial date has not been set, he said.

Judge William Ray was assigned to the case in April, but is no longer be connected -- Gov. Nathan Deal recently appointed him to the Georgia Court of Appeals, effective July 30.

Bishop is filling in for Ray (in general) until a new judge is sworn in, Mayfield said. It's doubtful he will remain on the case permanently.

Ray was already the sixth judge to be assigned to the case after five before him recused themselves due to conflict of interest or the possibility of that perception. Taylor, arrested in 2008, was well-connected in the community through participation in groups like the library board and Leadership Gwinnett.

The case had been scheduled to go to trial on Monday, District Attorney Danny Porter said in June.

Porter could not be reached for comment. An official at the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center said Friday that the case file was in a judge's office and not immediately available for review. The official did not know which judge had the file.

Accusations against Taylor surfaced in 2008 when one boy told police the man had touched his genitals and photographed him after exiting a swimming pool at Taylor's home. At the time of his arrested, police believed Taylor had had similar contact with another boy for more than two years.

In August 2008, seven more boys aged 6 to 9 came forward. By the time of Taylor's indictment two months later, the alleged victims tallied 17. Authorities believe molestation began as early as 1995.

Britt, Taylor's defense attorney, could not be reached for comment.