LETTERS: Trying to come to terms with Chick-fil-A controversy

Trying to come to terms with Chick-fil-A controversy

I hate politics and I normally steer completely clear of all political discussion, but this whole Chick-fil-A mess has me thinking a lot about my faith, family and friends and I feel like I sort of need to vent. While I was raised to be Christian, I was also taught by my parents to be tolerant and respectful of all other beliefs.

I have friends who are Christian, Muslim, Baha'i, atheists and agnostics. I have members of my family who are gay and quite a few gay friends. My friends and family also span the political spectrum from the very staunchly conservative Republicans all the way to the extremely liberal Democrats. Despite all of the differences, I can get along with all of these people. There is always common ground and I very much respect all of their beliefs and care about them deeply as fellow human beings. I don't judge any of them for how they live their lives.

So, I'm very torn about Chick-fil-A. I understand how Dan Cathy feels and although I don't agree with him, I don't feel like his comments alone should have much of an effect on his business. He didn't say that he was going to discriminate against homosexuals. He just stated his beliefs about marriage. The thing I take issue with, if it is true, is if Chick-fil-A really put money into an organization that spent $25,000 lobbying against a bill condemning a Ugandan law that would enforce the death penalty for those caught engaging in homosexual acts.

Yes, that is horrifying. I'd like to give Mr. Cathy the benefit of the doubt in assuming that he wasn't aware of all of the acts of all of the organizations in which he chose to donate funds, but I have no way to know what he knew. As a corporation, I seriously doubt that all of the individual owner/operators of the chain feel the same way Dan Cathy feels and I also doubt their awareness of the acts of that particular organization. Chick-fil-A is a great success story for Christians as well as non-Christians. It is sad that a company that has done so much good for its community is now looked at like a haven for radical Christian zealots hellbent on hating a sect of society that happen to be born a little different from the majority.

I also don't like that non-Christian people feel like all Christians are bigoted, extremist fools. A lot of the Christians I know are actually more caring and open minded than the media and/or social networks would have you think. Yes, the extremists are out there (on both sides of the spectrum) but I really wish that people would be more accepting, more tolerant and more open to alternative ideas and thoughts.

Honestly, if I feel like eating a chicken sandwich, I might go to Chick-fil-A. I'm not doing it because I hate anyone though. I'm doing it because I'm fat and I might have a craving for Chick-fil-A sandwich. Please don't hate me for it.

-- Elizabeth Jones

Loganville

Comments

kevin 1 year, 8 months ago

For the last time I repeat. A person has a right to free speech and their own opinion without being boycotted over it. The gays are making themselves look so stupid by doing this to a private company, mainly because it is a Christian organization, something gays can't seem to handle. A practicing Christian will NOT compromise his/her beliefs in the Bible, something gays refuse to acknowledge as well. Horray for Chick-fil-A's owner. The company itself does not discriminate and even hires gays. Gays have to understand a simple fact. You can still have a great relationship with gay people but your religious views are just that, sacred, and your own opinion. I do not care what religion gays follow, if any or not. I do respect the fact of what they are and accept them as human beings. My Bible forbids gay marriage and I will always believe in that. The Bible is way higher than any "personal" belief. This is the problem with this country. Its morals are going down the tube because of people like gays because they all feel you have to live by "today's rules, not rules provided by our God. Amen.

If gays want to treat people equal, they should be leaving Georgia, a state that voted against gay marriage. Georgia is speaking out against gay marriages the same as the owner of Chick-fil-A. Why don't the gays also boycott, shutdown, or leave the state of Georgia? The Liberal gays just want their free time in the news and the Liberal media give it to them freely.

SomeLady 1 year, 8 months ago

Check the tag on the shirt you are currently wearing. Now check the tag on your pants. Do the same for your t-shirt and underwear as well. If any item you are wearing contains more than one type of fabric, you are committing an abominiation on par with homosexuality according to the Bible (Leviticus 19:19). The bacon egg and cheese biscuit you had for breakfast at Chick-Fil-A? Abomination. Says so right there in Leviticus 11:7-8 and Deuteronomy 14:8. Your Bible forbids a lot of things. But I'm sure a Godly man like yourself has never worn a blended fabric or eaten pork.

cwkimbro 1 year, 8 months ago

???? Ummm....

The first amendment gives people a right to free speech. It does -NOT- give anyone a right to prevent people from boycotting them, because of their speech. That is the free speech right of the other people. The is the whole essence of how free speech works. People are entitled to their beliefs and are allowed to voice them if they choose to do so, but they doesn't mean others will like what they have to say and that doesn't mean others won't react to it.

To think any less is nothing short of wishful thinking.

RedDawn 1 year, 8 months ago

Elizabeth, The $25,000 went to the FRC (Family Research Council). Back in 2010 David Weigel wrote an opinion piece in the Washington Post about the FRC and the Ugandan law. Shortly after, he wrote another piece walking back from the first one.

David's correction included the fact that the "FRC did not lobby against or oppose passage of the congressional resolution. FRC's efforts, at the request of Congressional offices, were limited to seeking changes in the language of proposed drafts of the resolution, in order to make it more factually accurate regarding the content of the Uganda bill, and to remove sweeping and inaccurate assertions that homosexual conduct is internationally recognized as a fundamental human right."

He then noted that "FRC does not support the Uganda bill, and does not support the death penalty for homosexuality -- nor any other penalty which would have the effect of inhibiting compassionate pastoral, psychological and medical care and treatment for those who experience same-sex attractions or who engage in homosexual conduct."

The militant homosexual lobby knows exactly what the FRC did, but they continue to perpetuate this lie, hoping that the average person won't actually research the facts.

dentaldawg83 1 year, 8 months ago

so what does a boycott have to do with free speech. I'm pretty sure boycotting is protected as a form of free speech just as the CEO of a corp speaking his mind.

no matter the fact that one might not agree with or even dislike gays, we must celebrate the fact that we have the freedom of expression in this country (even though it be an unpopular one).

Jan 1 year, 8 months ago

Elizabeth Jones: If healthy is what you desire, then Panera is a better choice. If you want a part of your money to be used to limit the rights of people in the gay community, then Chic-cil-A is a reasonable choice. I, personally, consider many activities by others as immoral but do not fund campaigns to create laws to stop them. It has been documented that Chic-fil-A has donated over $2 million to anti gay groups. They want to base their opinion on the Bible, which also has "Thou shall not bear false witness" as one of the Ten Commandments, which any biblical scholar will explain that is the basis for all other laws. I am sure that every voter cast a vote for some politician that has violated that commandment, and probably several others, without any reservations. There are not even any groups to my knowledge that are attempting to get legislation to stop such practice. The "Truth in advertising" policy does not even apply to political adds and super pacs are investing billions in advertising to convey false information. This is not limited to one party but is a consequence of people that prefer believing what sound good to themselves instead of researching the truth.