0

Duluth depot open to the public

DULUTH -- A historic train station in Duluth built in 1871 to serve the city has been restored and is open to the public at the Southeastern Railway Museum.

Built by predecessor Southern Railway, the depot is part of today's Norfolk Southern Corp., and was one of several constructed in the area in 1871. The railroad primarily served the cotton trade, which was cultivated on about 50,000 acres in the area.

"This historic structure was once a major gateway to our region," said museum administrator Randy Pirkle. "After nearly a century of service to passengers and decades of use as an office, we are proud to have the opportunity to open the restored Duluth depot to the public once more."

When it was first built, Forsyth and Milton counties had no rail service, but the addition of the passenger station in Duluth made the city a center for shipping and commercial travel.

Declines in passenger service and changes in rail freight led to the closing of the depot in the 1950s. The building was later moved to a site on Pleasant Hill Road and again to the W.P. Jones Park, where it was used as a police substation and an office for city staff.

In August 2008, the depot was moved to its current location at the entrance to the Southeastern Railway Museum, 3595 Buford Highway, Duluth.

For more information about the museum, visit www.southeasternrailwaymuseum.org.

Comments

Mack711 1 year, 11 months ago

Have been to both the old and new locations. Must say that the old location was much better. There was more to see and do what with train rides around the property and that small train group that was there. Now that was a fun place. Not taking anything from this restoration because it is a good thing. Maybe they can rent it out for special events and occasions.

1

Sign in to comment