324 lanes to open for Monday's afternoon rush hour

BUFORD -- All four lanes of Ga. Highway 324 in Buford are scheduled to be reopened Monday.

During the $11.2 million project, a new bridge was built as part of the one-mile long widening of the road and lanes were closed.

Following Monday's morning rush hour, Department of Transportation officials announced Wednesday, work will begin to open all four lanes. The lanes are scheduled to be opened by 5 p.m. at the latest.

While the move will relieve some traffic issues, the work isn't done. The project is "93 percent complete" and scheduled to be fully finished by the end of May.

"Crews will install the permanent striping on the roadway, finish the concrete work in the median, complete dressing the shoulders and grassing, as well as punch list details," Georgia DOT district engineer Bayne Smith said.

Map

Location of DOT project

Location of DOT project

Comments

jjbod1 2 years, 7 months ago

That is great news! Coming from someone who lives just off of and drives that road daily "for the past 10 years" that calls for a celebration!!! : )

wichitalineman 2 years, 7 months ago

Vote YES for T-SPLOST this July and this overpass will become a much needed I-85 interchange between Buford Dr and Hamilton Mill!

rgranfeldt 2 years, 7 months ago

Glad that it's about to finish up and open, but the cops need to do something about the speed from the bridge to Braselton Highway (124) intersection. Folks speed on that patch of road, going 60+ often. Then zip infront of the traffic, down to one lane through the (124) intersection. It's crazy.

cannot_believe_it 2 years, 7 months ago

Saw the headline and thought..."Wow, that's a lot of lanes!".....

FordGalaxy 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, having 324 lanes open does seem a bit excessive....

wichitalineman 2 years, 7 months ago

This location at 324 at I-85 will become a future I-85 interchange with the passage of the T-SPLOST in July. An exit between Buford Dr and Hamilton Mill is needed!

jjbod1 2 years, 7 months ago

Good luck on that, as long as we have Hot Lanes, I am voting NO. I also know of more than 20 others who are making it a point to vote against that tax. Take your hot lane money to build new roads!

jack 2 years, 7 months ago

This location at 324 at I-85 will become a future I-85 interchange WITHOUT the passage of the T-SPLOST in July because an exit between Buford Dr and Hamilton Mill IS needed!

FordGalaxy 2 years, 7 months ago

An exit off I-985 at Hamilton Mill would also alleviate some Mall traffic, but don't look for it to happen. The biggest roadwork I can think of that is absolutely necessary is a widening of GA20 between Buford and Cumming. There is no sense in so much of that road only being two lane.

wichitalineman 2 years, 7 months ago

Jack, with the passage of T-SPLOST this interchange will be built in our lifetime!

jjbod1 2 years, 7 months ago

Let me quess, you are a contractor of some sort, a contractor who is tied in with the state Gov somehow. I bet you really do want to see this tax go through, so those dollars start flowing though your bank account.

jack 2 years, 7 months ago

lineman-You don't think the money that made the Mall of Georgia happen couldn't make this interchange happen?