3 Duluth men arrested in massive pot bust

Three Duluth men were among those arrested recently in a drug bust that netted more than $3 million worth of marijuana, Gainesville police announced Tuesday.

Among two other men arrested earlier this month were Jose Luis Chavez-Morfin, 43; Juventino Morfin-Mendoza, 38; and Jose Macias Chavez, 45, all of Duluth. According to Gainesville police Lt. Scott Ware, the men were booked on April 12 as the result of a three-week drug trafficking investigation by agencies including the FBI, DEA, homeland security and local authorities.

During the investigation, agents intercepted a tractor-trailer on Martin Luther King Boulevard in Gainesville.

Inside the truck, Ware said they found "numerous pallets of produce containing peppers, cactus and cilantro." Inside those, officials said, were 106 packages of marijuana weighing a total of about 1,572 pounds.

Officials estimated the street value of the drugs at $3,144,0000.

Two other men -- Marcos Antonio Ortiz-Barajas, 19, of Douglasville and Calvin Elwood Gearhart, 47, of Wichita, Kan. -- were also arrested and charged.

Comments

notblind 1 year, 12 months ago

Just doing the jobs Americans won't do.

Seal the border !

Jen1981 1 year, 12 months ago

Calvin Elwood Gearhart, 47, of Wichita, Kan. -- ?, seems like He decided to work, selling drugs...a job that AMERICANS sure do!!

Jen1981 1 year, 12 months ago

Very glad they are in jail!!!

Sthrnldy 1 year, 12 months ago

They'll be deported, too! You liking it, or not! Happy (deportation) dance! :)

Of course, this is all my fault for making Illegals look bad, too!

Jen1981 1 year, 12 months ago

And you call me hysterical?? If they did something wrong they have to be deported, that is the law!...and "Calvin Elwood Gearhart, 47", since looks like he is from here seems like he will be out after his long sentence doing the drug selling dance again! you liking it or not...of course this will be all my fault for making all americans "who work" look bad...blessed you heart...oh no...maybe is blessed already...

notblind 1 year, 12 months ago

Yep, on your dime and mine. I would prefer the Feds do more to keep them from ever crossing the border.

news2me 1 year, 12 months ago

Jobs that Americans won't do, hard working looking for a better life, and the American dream. I share these stories with family and friends accross the county, to show them what we Gwinnett citizens have to endure on a daily basis. Glad to hear that our illegal population in Gwinnett is decreasing by any means possible.

Jen1981 1 year, 12 months ago

And that is the same "American" dream that many families from outside the US are trying to persue, and my point is that not all of them for being illegal here are bad, and is good that people that are out there no matter from where they are from are locked out for selling drugs...My main point is that not because a black, a redneck, a hispanic, an american, a chineese, a teenager, a 6 yr old or an illegal do something wrong, all are the same...Is my point of view but there are many blessed hearts out there that think that is personal against them and that this is a hysterical opinion...

news2me 1 year, 12 months ago

The American dream can only be obtained by law-abiding, hardworking LEGAL citizens of the United States. Illegal aliens become criminals the minute they set foot in this country, don't immediately persue citizenship, and take a dime away from the American taxpayers. So are you going to call the vast majority of legal American citizens, including recent legal immigrants REDNECKS because they don't agree with your unpopular and rapidly declining point of view?

I guess I am a Redneck since I don't agree with you.

Jen1981 1 year, 12 months ago

If what you are looking for is for me to go down to your level to keep arguing, you are wasting your time...Keep posting your opinions, at the end, we ALL live in a free country to express out ourselfs on any way we want to...much rudness or hate for illegals dont make any of you better than them and dont fix the problems anywhere in the world...If the Feds are not doing anything else besides deporting those who get caught, they may have their own internal reasons...

Sthrnldy 1 year, 12 months ago

I am certainly glad that I am not at the low level of intelligence that I will start arguments with Legal Citizens and take the side of an Illegal Alien. Like I have said before, criminals typically stick together and watch each other's backs. Anyone that sides with an Illegal Alien is a hypocrit - you either employee them, make money off them in some way, married one, or steal money from the taxpayers like they do.

Braveshopr 1 year, 11 months ago

"The three Gwinnett men arrested were charged with trafficking marijuana and possession of marijuana with the intent to distribute. All have immigration holds placed on them."

Damn...now I know how the Mexicans can afford carts loaded with merchandise at the local stores, while I stand quietly debating with myself over either one banana and an apple or a bag of spinach.

kevin 1 year, 11 months ago

And you wonder why the critics call everything profiling. For good cause you people. Their is NOTHING illegal about profiling. It a a new political correct term that the left doesn't like. The heck with the left. There is also the right living in this country and we want it. Nothing wrong with stopping someone that is acting strangely. If you are stopped, so what? You have nothing to fear if you are innocent. If you have something to hide, yell for Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, ACLU, and Obama. All of those are racist jerks, either looking for power or money, two things that define a socialist.