No. 2 Spartans dominate No. 3 Westminster in girls soccer

NORCROSS -- With a Region 6-AA title still very much in reach, Greater Atlanta Christian's No. 2-ranked girls soccer team played one its best games of the season in a 5-0 win over No. 3-ranked Westminster.

GAC (12-2-1, 7-1) maintains a share of first place in the region and has one game remaining at home against Lovett on Tuesday.

Junior Rachel Garcia did most of the damage for GAC with four goals as the Spartans scored five or more goals in a game for the eighth time this season.

"I thought from the beginning to the end that we played well and controlled the game," said GAC head coach Troy Bendickson. "We possessed when we needed to possess, we combined when we needed to combine and I was very pleased with the way we built up to goals. The goals were great, but I thought we did a great job of building up to those goals."

Garcia put GAC on top to stay with her first goal of the game at the 25:51 mark of the first half, which came on an assist from Hannah Huizenga.

GAC got its second goal of the game with 7:50 to go in the first half when Kayla Puzass picked up a rebound and scored to make it 2-0.

GAC put the game away early in the second half when Garcia got her second goal on an assist from Puzass for a 3-0 Spartans' lead.

Garcia scored again less than three minutes later with an assist from Kelsey Fervier to push the lead to 4-0.

GAC's fifth and final goal of the night came on a header from Garcia and an assist from Taylor Wagnon with 6:55 to go in the contest.

"We played really well as a team and bounced back from our loss last week (at McIntosh)," said Garcia. "We heard that (Westminster) was strong defensively, so it was important that we showed up and finished our scoring chances. We did and came out with an important win in the region."

GAC put 10 shots on goal to Westminster's two and Elizabeth White picked up the shutout in goal for the Spartans.

Westminster (10-4-3, 5-3) plays at Buford on Tuesday.

The boys game between GAC and Westminster was suspended with 29:49 remaining in a 1-1 game after two sets of lights went out at 9 p.m. and a decision was made at 10:45 to resume play at 3 p.m. today.