Toll reaches $5 in morning rush hour

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Just like gas prices, toll prices are taking their, well, toll on Interstate 85 commuters.

During Wednesday's morning rush hour, the express lane toll reached $5 to travel the 16 miles between Old Peachtree and Chamblee-Tucker roads. The price, which fluctuates based on traffic in an attempt to ensure the HOT lane remains free-flowing, hit its peak between 7:16 and 7:56 a.m., said State Road and Tollway Authority spokeswoman Malika Reed Wilkins.

"More and more motorists are choosing to use the express lanes, and pricing is used to manage the demand in the lanes so that motorists continue to experience reliable travel times," Wilkins said in an email.

Since official registration began in June 2011, the authority has issued more than 150,000 Peach Passes, the transponder needed to use the HOT lanes, which opened in October.

Wilkins said the authority continues to issue about 2,000 Peach Passes a week.

"We will continue to monitor the performance of the express lanes," she added.

Comments

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Newsflash:
This is NO WAY entitled to the status worthy of a BREAKING News Flash…

Unless you’re the IDIOT that actually PAID it with your own personal money!

Of course "more money" means nore adspace for PeachPasses, a win win for the paper ...

Mack711 2 years, 6 months ago

Do not care how much traffic there is will not pay for a lane that we have paid for once already. This is only a measure to keep the SRTA in high paying needless jobs. Those of you who chose to use this lane must have more dollars than sense. But it us your money so give it away if you want. They keep selling these passes and soon they will have so many out there that it will not be worth paying the toll, then what will these drivers do?

news2me 2 years, 6 months ago

Agree that this is not news worthy and the fees are totally ridiculous. However, I have been hearing a lot more people using these lanes. It seems that alot of private companies don't seem to mind paying for these passes for their employees. Wonder if any government employees are getting this benefit and we the taxpayers are paying for it?

JohnGalt 2 years, 6 months ago

LOL, if it isn't our resident SRTA mouthpiece, Malika Reed Wilkins! GDP, why do you give this epitome of arrogance and ignorance a platform from which to speak?

You know what I like about this lane? It give me, and the rest of my 3+ crew something to laugh about the entire 16 mile stretch as I drive through it, at or below the speed limit mind you, TOLL FREE, stacking up a line of traffic behind me paying for the privilege to drive in the HOT lane watching cars pass you by on all of the peasant lanes where the commoners have to drive. LOL, people really do get mad about having to pay to drive slower than the rest of the traffic! Some even roll down their window and yell out expletives and give me the finger. Glad I could be of service to you. I’m obeying the law, so what are you going to do about it?

You idiots enjoy your HOT lane. I’ll never pay for the privilege of using it, but I will certainly enjoy it at the expense of those of you that do. And I will certainly do everything in my power to campaign against any road/transportation/infrastructure improvement until such time the State of Georgia removes this boondoggle from our already paid for roadway.

Hangdog 2 years, 6 months ago

SRTA at least has the presence of mind to keep Gena Evans away from the microphone. It took them awhile, but they learned she said dumber things the Malika.

ptm4936 2 years, 6 months ago

Interesting to note the the villains in the HOT story were initially GDOT & the politicians that authorized it. Now the bad guys are the people who pay to use it. Strange turn of events as the tolls on the HOT lane actually prove it works.

JohnGalt 2 years, 6 months ago

No ptm4936, actually it is and always has been both!

LilburnLady 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes ptm4936, It's amazing how well this scam has worked! Imagine, you take away one lane from the commuters, squeezing more cars into fewer lanes, thus creating even more congestion than you had before! Then when commute times are doubled and people finally cave in to pay for the ability to travel in that other lane, you slowly and consistently jack up the price for the "new" lane until the only people who can afford to ride in it are the well off. So, you have fleeced the taxpayers over $30 million dollars to set up the scam and then start raking in $5 a pop to finance SRTA jobs in perpetuity. Of course, we haven't actually received ANY relief from congestion, just the perception of one lane moving 10 mph faster than the other lanes. It's truly amazing what people can be enticed into paying for. I for one, will never pay to ride in the HOT lane and I salute those who do ride in it and travel the speed limit!

dav 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe the lady from lilburn has described the situation perfectly!

cyclist 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't see what the big deal with the HOT lane is. They didn't take away an unrestricted lane that all commuters could use. The only people that could have been slighted are the two person carpools that were using the HOV lane before. I would much rather these types of solutions be implemented than build more lanes or more roads.

jack 2 years, 6 months ago

"The only people that could have been slighted are the two person carpools that were using the HOV lane before." Oh, and maybe all the folks in the other lanes when the two person carpoolers were forced there.