Wednesday, April 11, 2012
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE -- Yet another new judge has been appointed in the case of Harry Brett Taylor, the former Boy Scout leader charged with more than 30 counts of child molestation almost four years ago.
Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter told the Daily Post Wednesday that Judge William Ray is now assigned to the case, which has seen a total of five judges recuse themselves over the years for a number of reasons.
Most recent was Superior Court Judge Debra Turner, who recused herself last week after handling the case for less than two months. Judge Melodie Snell Conner removed herself from the proceedings in February, citing a possible perceived conflict of interest involving her staff attorney.
Three more judges have also recused themselves in the long-delayed trial.
"Different judges have recused themselves for different reasons," Porter said.
Taylor is a former library board member and was involved in several other community groups, including Leadership Gwinnett.
Then 44, he was arrested in 2008 on 32 various counts of sexual misconduct with children. At the time of his indictment, 17 children -- most boys under the age of 16 -- had come forward to accuse Taylor of having sex with them, touching them improperly or photographing them naked in incidents allegedly beginning in 1995.
He's remained in jail without bond since July 24, 2008.
Taylor's trial has been delayed unusually long, but Porter said he hopes to have him in a courtroom soon.
"We're going to try to get it done before the end of the year," Porter said.