As of Monday, September 26, 2011
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE — Fire investigators have ruled a vehicle fire accidental that seriously burned a man when a leaking acetylene tank in his truck exploded, officials said.
Fire Department spokesman Lt. Eric Eberly said the truck blew up around 8:15 p.m. Sunday at a home off Albemarle Way near Sugarloaf Parkway in Lawrenceville. He said the truck ignited when the victim opened the trunk to place a piece of furniture inside for storage.
“The cause of the explosion was due to a build up of acetylene gas within the vehicle,” Eberly said.
The vehicle was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, Eberly said. The victim was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital suffering from extensive injuries and burns. His name was not released.
Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire, Eberlyl said.
Acetylene is commonly used to fuel torches used to cut and weld metal. The tank that exploded was being used for work purposes, Eberly said.