Kramer's extradition hinges on ongoing investigation

LAWRENCEVILLE -- It's possible that DragonCon founder and Gwinnett child molestation suspect Ed Kramer won't set foot in Georgia any time soon, pending the outcome of a Connecticut investigation.

Kramer, 50, is being held in the coastal city of Milford after police reportedly found him alone in a Super 8 motel room with a 14-year-old boy this week, a violation of Kramer's bond. He's charged with a felony count of risk of injury in the ongoing investigation.

Kevin Russo of the Milford Prosecutor's Office said Kramer is next scheduled to appear in court Wednesday. Whether Connecticut will allow his extradition back to Georgia hinges, in part, on what the investigation uncovers about Kramer's relationship with the boy.

The boy was in the area acting in a low-budget horror movie. Witnesses told Gwinnett District Attorney Danny Porter this week that Kramer had referred to himself as the boy's guardian, and that the boy had answered the motel door in a bathrobe as Kramer sat on the bed.

Russo said he wasn't sure Friday if information has surfaced that Kramer had sexual involvement with the boy or not.

"I don't know the answer, and if I did, I wouldn't comment, due to the ongoing investigation," Russo said.

Kramer's attorney, Ed Marger, is working with a client in Haiti and did not respond to an email Friday.

Connecticut allows suspects the option to consent to extradition or not, Russo said.

Connecticut authorities "will continue to investigate, and if we think it's something worthy of prosecution, we will certainly do that," Russo said.

Initially arrested in 2000, Kramer faces multiple counts of child molestation in Gwinnett -- and up to 60 years in prison -- after three teenage boys came forward alleging he coerced them into sex.

Kramer's day in court has been delayed multiple times across the ensuing decade by claims he was in ill health and various other motions by his attorneys. He spent a few months in the Gwinnett County Jail in 2000 and 2001 but has been on bond since, with stipulations forbidding contact with children and that he check in weekly.

Porter said this week he'd be prepared to summon witnesses and try Kramer's case in two weeks, should Kramer be returned to Gwinnett.

Gwinnett Superior Court Judge Karen Byers revoked Kramer's bond this week, meaning if he's returned to Gwinnett, he'll immediately be jailed without bond.

Porter said a woman in Florida called out of the blue this week with information Kramer was staying in the motel with the boy. Officers descended on the Super 8 and found Kramer alone with the minor, a Milford police report states.