As of Thursday, September 8, 2011
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE -- A Thursday evening fire that gutted the kitchen of a Lawrenceville home may have been caused by food left on the stove, officials said.
Gwinnett County firefighters responded to the home on the 1100 block of Sandalwood Drive at about 6:15 p.m., finding heavy smoke coming from the roof, spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said. The neighbor advised crews of possible entrapments, but firefighters quickly conducted a search and determined no one was home.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen within about 20 minutes, Rutledge said.
"We are fortunate that there were no victims found inside and that no injuries were reported," he said.
The Red Cross was notified to assist the displaced family. Firefighters were also treating a family dog for smoke inhalation before turning it over to animal control, Rutledge said.