LETTERS: Thanks Eugene, for letting me know who I am

I now know who I am, thanks to Eugene Robinson

I finally give Eugene Robinson a salute for his viewpoint ("Bush/Cheney remind us all whose fault this mess really is," Sept. 2, 6A). I never knew until I read his article that I was one of Reagan's "tax-cutting, government-starving ... radical Republicans ... who cut spending and cut taxes."

Wow, I'm glad to find out who I am. And hey, cut me some slack as well. I have never received a government handout or been late on my mortgage note.-- Dave Sheldon

Sugar Hill

Comments

Jan 3 years ago

An now that you know you are part of the problem, will you look into the facts and help vote out the Republicans? No, you prefer a feeble attempt at ridicule. Mr. Robinson gave you some facts and you find none that could put a legitimate argument for voting Republican so you resort to demeaning Mr. Robinson for his conclusions. Fact is that the blue dog democrats (most of whom were voted out) and Republicans have systematically blocked efforts put forth by Democrats to turn this economy around. You should listen to Bernie Sanders (Independent Senator fro Vermont) to help you understand that Giving the wealthy a larger cut of the pie only leaves less pie for the middle class and the poor.

jack 3 years ago

Why do Democrats believe there is only a finite amount of pie? If the economy grows, then there is a bigger pie for all. Fact is, of all the economic legislative efforts sent from the House to the Senate, only one has not been blocked by the Democrat leadership; the 1099 provision of the Healthcare Act. And if you do choose to listen to Bernie Sanders, please keep in mind that he is a self-avowed socialist.

Jan 3 years ago

Yes, Bernie Sanders does admit to being a socialists. First, this pretty much proves his sincerity and honest for any political operative will tell that socialists have been so demonized in this country that admitting it will loose votes; hence he must be honest. Second, if you listen to his arguments, you will find his reasoning very intelligent and that he sticks to the facts. You are correct that most of the time this pie is increasing (though it actually decreased during the last years of Bush). Its growth rate usually hits between 3% to 10% but the wealthiest 5% already have over 50% of this growing pie. If we do not change our economic policies, the top 5% will have over 75% of the pie by 2025.

cwkimbro 3 years ago

Oh yay! Just we need more talk about pie!

However, I have to note... During The W years of Republican control... the pie shrank AND the top 1% got a much bigger piece!

mmm... I think I'll go to the Varsity and get some peach pie now!

jack 3 years ago

The last years of Bush......oh, yeah, when the Dems controlled both the House and the Senate. Face it, while the 'Pubs haven't done a great job over the past decade, the Dems are just as culpable for the situation we now confront. Neither party has shown itself deserving of being in power.

Jan 3 years ago

I fully agree with your last sentence, "Neither party has shown itself deserving of being in power", Even our founding fathers warned against the evils of political parties. See the introduction to the Federalist Papers at http://thomas.loc.gov/home/histdox/fed_01.html. However, when I go down a list of those currently in congress that can be trusted to make efforts to improve the situation using common sense, my list contains many more sporting the label "Democrat" than claiming the label "Republican". Also, none on my list includes a further distinction of "Blue Dog Democrat" or "Tea Party Republican". Face it, the Republican abuse of the new filibuster rules has blocked much meaningful legislation presented by Democrats. Read the above referenced Federalist Papers introduction and you will understand how Republicans have turned to a policy of sabotaging the Presidents efforts. Some Republicans even admit that their primary goal is to make this President fail. I, for one, will cast my vote against such underhanded tactics. They were elected to come up with ideas to help the economy but choose instead to use their power to shoot down any plans of the Democrats and refusing to compromise on most issues.

jack 3 years ago

Jan, the Dems are just as guilty of blocking/sabotaging legislation and demagoguing ideas as the Republicans. Neither party can claim more innocence in that. And I find it somewhat surprising that you have a list of Congresspersons that can be trusted; I couldn't fill up a half-inch Post-it!

Jan 3 years ago

Not as guilty. My opinion here is backed up by the fact that the Republicans have used the filibuster option significantly more than Democrats. Republican filibusters in 2010 doubled the previous record. Yes, my list of trusted Congresspersons is short! What can you expect when we have allowed two parties to control the process? Too many unelected party officials have too much sway on voting since they have control of so much money for campaigns. They have manipulated the system so that the taxpayer have to pay for the party primaries. Look at the money we could save if we abolished party primaries and had general elections only with instant runoff voting. Oh, and abolish the Electoral College.