Gwinnett seniors could get trash discount

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Seniors were excited to learn Thursday that the "rumors" were true: Gwinnett officials are considering a discount for seniors for trash service.

Chairwoman Charlotte Nash was asked about the rumor during a Council for Seniors speech Thursday and said that she did ask county staff to explore options, since many seniors said trash haulers had given discouts to that age bracket before the service became county wide last year.

Nash said seniors often live in one or two-person households and produce less trash than the average family.

"My grandmother was the original recycler," she told the crowd. "She washed her aluminum foil and reused it."

Officials are also still considering changes for vacant houses, she said. No timeline exists for studying the "tweaks," officials said.

Comments

R 2 years, 6 months ago

I wonder what happens when Peachtree Corners incorporates as a city light and becomes exempt to the trash program? Will the haulers be reimbursed by the county for the delta if the number of homes is reduced? I wonder if the discount discussed here will simply turn out to be a REDUCTION of any related FUTURE increases? With 2012 as an election year, don't you just LOVE the softening of the county stance from "No discounts - No exceptions - One size suits us" Trust? it's not an issue at all, it's just HARD to verify.

Why not just consider Doing AWAY with this OBAMACARE like project to begin with?

HonestIngine 2 years, 6 months ago

There is no discount for seniors in the proposed "Lite City" Farce. The citizens of Peachtree Corners are getting sold a bill of goods for no reason. Wake up PC, and realize you will be taxed hereafter. What amazes me is the Republician Leaders, Rice and Millar,are pushing MORE GOVERNMENT, MORE SPENDING. They will be voted out next election...

Gundoctor1 2 years, 6 months ago

We have always washed our Aluminum foil, and we wash out our zip-lock bags as well. One question, we take the time to separate our glass, plastic, cardboard, etc. and then the trash people just dump it in one container on the truck with no regard to type of material. Oh I'm sure they will say, we sort it later. We all know better than that. Even so, the new trash service is 100 times better than the old with 5-6 different trucks in and out all day.

BuzzG 2 years, 6 months ago

What nonsense. This means that if seniors pay less, everyone else must pay more. I am a senior but don't want a discount. Just give me back the right to hire my own trash collection service. I can do it myself. I don't need government to do it for me. We have waaaay too much government in our lives and waaaaay too little authority over our own lives. We don;t need government in every step of our lives. This is what the Tea Party is about. What do we have to do to make this clear to politicians.

crobin7028 2 years, 6 months ago

Just another scam to get votes. What's the difference between an old couple and a single person? They both produce the same amount of trash but the old people vote. It's time for the senoirs to put their money where their mouth is and tell the county they don't need another tax break because if you take it all that means is someone else is going to have to pay for you and frankly I am tired of it.

CD 2 years, 6 months ago

There is a foreclosed home in my neighborhood, across the street. I noticed the trashtruck driver actually got out of his cab and moved the trash can to the curb--it was sitting beside the home to one side. My guess is that they have been told to do this so that they will not have to count the home as vacant, thus receiving less money from the county.

The county has no reason to monitor this type of behavior because the money for trash service is going to their "friends" and political contributors.

freegeorgian 2 years, 6 months ago

Here we go again. Now that the County has control of the trash business, they can manipulate it to benefit who they choose. Just like property taxes, the seniors will pay less than their younger neighbors, causing more of the burden to be carried by less. The worst part is, once a discount is in place, it's very politically unpopular to reverse.

Linda 2 years, 6 months ago

I like the choice of picking my own trash hauler. I was able to choose the day (by choosing the hauler that picked up on my choice) and I didn't have to use their bins, I was able to place my bag on the curb and then had no bin to haul back. Now on trash pickup day I often have trash in my bin from people who walk by my home and are too lazy and disrespectful to take it home!

alanfisher 2 years, 6 months ago

Ridiculous, a random 21 year old living alone doesn't make any more waste than a 31 year old or a 71 year old 'Senior'. A household of 5 people of any age makes more waste than a household of 1. If we're going to set rates based on faulty presumptions of waste volume, base it on the number of residents, not ages.

Anyone here know how business works? Top management sets profit objectives to provide for operating expenses and something called 'profits', which are paid to owners/shareholders. The waste companies in Gwinnett County are not non-profits and not charitable organizations, their purpose is to generate profit and income for stakeholders. Say the profit goal for this year is 10% (or it could be a fixed dollar amount), basically, multiplying the number of service sites and the rate per site would provide a Gross Income projection. Expenses are also forecast and budgeted. The difference of these 2 numbers is what is projected to be left over at the end of the period. It's called Net Profit, it's what's available to reinvest in the company, be saved for future operating needs, or distributed to owners/shareholders. If the initial calculations project that the profit won't meet top management's target, basically one or all of 3 numbers can be changed: the profit expectation can be reduced, or the expenses can be cut (remember that fuel costs, facilities costs including utilities, taxes, etc. aren't generally controlled by the company, companies have to pay what's charged, just like you and me, and the biggest portion is wages, salaries and employee benefits, which aren't a popular place to cut), or Revenues Have To Be Increased. This option, the likely outcome, means Your Bill Is Going UP. As far as we all know, currently residences pay an equal portion of the total amount billed by the waste companies to the county, and the county is billing us equally. If Seniors (or other individual or group) are given reduced rates ("discounts"), it means the remaining base of customers will have their rates increased, so the waste companies' gross revenues will meet projections, so after expenses are paid, remaining profits meets target objectives of the companies' top management.

I live alone, live frugally and reuse anything I can. I only need my waste container to be picked up once per month, perhaps twice during winter holidays. I'm paying the same as households that fill theirs weekly and need weekly pickups. So the county is going to let 'Seniors' be subsidized by me, and I create no more waste than they do. Now that's equitable; good sound logic and thinking!

alanfisher 2 years, 6 months ago

I know! How about RFID sensors attached to waste containers and when a container is picked up, trucks record the ID number to bill the account accordingly? Oh, yeah, can't work, revenue would drop dramatically because those of us (and 'Seniors') that would have 12-15 transactions per year, and those that would change their habits to further reduce waste to cut household expenses, wouldn't be paying for what we're not using (reducing gross revenue), and waste companies would have to raise prices significantly, or withdraw from the market, or go out of business.

The difference between private businesses and government businesses is that we have a choice with private businesses. The government takes what it wants and spends as it sees fit, it's often wealth redistribution, which is what The Majority subsidizing Seniors' waste service is.

Kent 2 years, 6 months ago

If Ms. Nash is so insightful about other peoples needs, she should recognize that allowing citizens to select a service based on their specific circumstances should be allowed. Instead, she continues to support this county mandate rammed down our throats by my commissioner Mr. Beaudreau. Why do you two commissioners continue to do nothing and force this ill designed plan on the citizens who either do not need the garbage service or have much better options for their trash disposal? Stop kicking the can down the road and do something constructive for a change!!!

Follow_The_Money_Trail 2 years, 6 months ago

“Gwinnett Seniors could get discounts”

Interpret this as: “Gwinnett officials seek to curry favor with Seniors”.

Seniors, a demographic most likely to vote, own homes and pay property taxes, have sufficient wealth to make campaign contributions and volunteer as campaign staffers, and let me guess, the most likely group to vote ‘Yes’ to renew SPLOST.

I’m a long-time resident, a homeowner overpaying on an over-assessed property value, and I vote, but I’m not yet a Senior. I want my discount too.

Election time is, in fact, coming. Remember who the elected officials are that propose and approve such self-serving issues, and look past the marketing spin that you’re fed. Yes, it will reduce expenses to Seniors. Including the majority of seniors in this county that has more accumulated assets and higher net worth than most non-seniors. Don’t confuse ‘fixed income’ with ‘assets’, ‘liquidity’, ‘investment income’ or ‘cash on hand’. They have ‘the money’.

Help us out here, Senator Renee Unterman.

HonestIngine 2 years, 6 months ago

I applaud Commissioner Nash. To all you people who think seniors, have all this money, and should pay the same as you.. Remember this, we have already paid our dues, We built this county when you were not even thought of. Our penisions are down just like yours, our income is down, just like yours. The difference one day, you will be in our shoes, you will have health problems that limit your movement and ability to work , you will not be working as hard as when you were younger. Your employer will hire someone younger to cut his salary expense, laid off and no one will hire you because of your age, and you will be left with what you saved to live the rest of your life on... Any break a senior gets is appreciated, whether it' 5% off on wednesdays or discount on trash service, it will help pay for heat during the winter, or food for our table.

HonestIngine 2 years, 6 months ago

One other thing, The county's trash hauler has been fantastic. Get over picking your own provider. Dekalb, Fulton, City of Atlanta... have their own department for that service and it's the pits. I was against it when it was first introduced and complained just like you, but its over, forget about it. It was several years ago and now the service is 10 times better than what I was getting from our neighborhood negoiated rate. You cannot negoiate a better rate than 800k residents. The county did us all a favor, approx $217/ year. Please, pick another bone to chew on.

kevin 2 years, 6 months ago

What I would like to known first is how does this system charge the haulers for dumping trash. If they are charged by weight, then I agree that seniors should be giving a discount because they might put out 2-3 bags a week. Seniors get discount for many other things, like groceries, electricity, taxes, so why not trash collection.

Daculan 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah well, we ALL got a service discount when we were able to contract with our own carriers now didn't we? Competition ruled. Now we pay MORE and get less service. My old company was happy to help if you had extra trash or a bulky item. They knew that to serve a customer was to provide service - or I could find another carrier.

Gov't steps in and prices go up, quality goes down. Overflow your can one week - I dare ya! You'll get a note about how you might want to order an extra can for an additional fee.

Capitalism will always rule over Gov't control - this is a prime example.

HonestIngine 2 years, 5 months ago

our area its never an issue with extra can one week. call the provider, they are understanding or file a complaint w/ the county. Big ticket items just call them

nicholson 2 years, 5 months ago

Honestingine, The comment you made about the "county doing us a favor" and negotiating on the garbage rates is laughable. I paid less when I chose the service, and I had a larger garbage can as well. I also did not have to pay 12 months in advance like we do now, which is a joke; I paid 3 months in advance. For folks that are not capable of making decisions, I suppose government is the answer, but I prefer to make my own decisions, thank you.

Mack711 2 years, 5 months ago

Before this garbage plan went into effect we had 3 Senior Citiens homes sharing one container. The bad thing about it is they paid less for this per month than the county is now charging for one home.They also did not fill it up. Since then one has moved and the other two are trying to get out. Now we know that this is not all the reasons for moving. But it sure does have a lot to say about how the government is doing things in the best intrest of the citizens of Gwinnett. Should the county remove their share of the costs that is to be collected the cost is actually higher than what we paid before.