Local mom sues Girl Scouts

A local mother has filed a lawsuit against a Girl Scouts organization alleging that her twin daughters were expelled from their troop after they gave a presentation on their family's involvement in the civil rights movement.

Angela Johnson filed the suit last week in Gwinnett County State Court. It claims intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligence.

In a statement, the Girl Scouts of Greater Atlanta says the girls weren't expelled and calls the incident a "disagreement between well-intentioned moms."

The suit says the troop leaders knew an expulsion would cause the girls harm and that the organization had a responsibility to repair the situation.

Johnson's lawyer Carlton Rouse said he's not alleging racial discrimination but said he believes the girls were expelled as a result of their presentation.

Comments

TOWG 2 years, 6 months ago

This is a fine example of why we need a "loser pays" reform to our tort system. Somebody needs to get a life.

champaignlady 2 years, 6 months ago

Who couldn't see this coming when the mom decided she needed to run to the tv media and get it out there!

Jan 2 years, 6 months ago

Being a reasonable person, I will wait on the facts before jumping to conclusions. We do not know the facts of the case and do not know how the media located this story. Maybe the Girl Scouts leaked it to generate support from people like the first two respondents.

Daculan 2 years, 6 months ago

Remember when the worst part about girl scouts was organizing the cookies?
I agree = tort reform would solve this!

NewsReader 2 years, 6 months ago

Can I sue and get a judgment on what I believe? I suspect there is more to this story than we are reading here. It's the Girl Scouts. It's a volunteer organization. Just walk away. From what I have read about the case, the only satisfaction Ms. Johnson is seeking is monetarily. Efforts by the Girl Scouts to allow the girls back into their troop, join another troop, or start a new troop have been declined. If I didn't know better, I'd think this woman is using this axe to grind to extort money from the Girl Scouts. At the end of the day, if she is successful, and even if she isn't, the only one harmed by this is all of the girls in the Girl Scouts. Only the lawyers win and perhaps Ms. Johnson, should she become successful. Everybody else loses which is why I agree with TOWG ~ loser pays.

ssilover1 2 years, 6 months ago

Ssurely there is more to this. How is this news?