As of Wednesday, October 5, 2011
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
SNELLVILLE -- A gas leak forced several businesses to evacuate and shut down a major Snellville intersection for more than two hours Wednesday.
Officials said almost 100 people were evacuated from the New London Plaza shopping center and adjoining businesses after firefighters responded to the leak near the intersection of Ga. Highway 124 and Henry Clower Boulevard. Crews responded to the scene at about 1:50 p.m. and found a construction crew digging to install a utility pole had struck a gas line, fire department spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.
Walton EMC was forced to cut power to nearby electrical lines "to eliminate potential ignition sources" for the escaping gas, Rutledge said. Firefighters and Snellville police officers were forced to close down roads surrounding the incident site and diverted traffic around it.
Gas company crews were able to stop the leak at about 3:45 p.m. and roadways were reopened shortly after 4 p.m., Rutledge said.
No injuries were reported.