As of Saturday, October 1, 2011
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
DULUTH -- Police in Duluth recently received a $38,900 grant from the Governor's Office of Highway Safety to continue their efforts in Operation Drive Smart.
The statewide initiative, which combats teen driving deaths, has been used by Duluth Police in recent years but has recently received more requests for programs than funding and time allows, said Lt. Bill Stevens.
"Last year, we had to turn down three schools because we used up allowable funding within the grant," Stevens said.
"It's not for a lack of trying on our part; we complete 15 programs throughout the state traveling from Savannah/Chatham County to Murray County," he said.
Since the program's inception, more than 150,000 Georgia teenagers have participated in Operation Smart Drive. According to its website, the governor's office of highway safety "is focused on statistics and improving upon them."