0

Police clear out Occupy Oakland camp

Oakland Police Sargeant Tisdale warns Occupy Oakland protestors that they will be arrested if they continue to block traffic in the intersection of 14th and Broadway in downtown Oakland, Calif., Monday, Nov. 14, 2011. The Occupy encampment was evicted from  Frank Ogawa Plaza early this morning. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

Oakland Police Sargeant Tisdale warns Occupy Oakland protestors that they will be arrested if they continue to block traffic in the intersection of 14th and Broadway in downtown Oakland, Calif., Monday, Nov. 14, 2011. The Occupy encampment was evicted from Frank Ogawa Plaza early this morning. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Riot-clad law enforcement officers cleared out Oakland's weeks-old anti-Wall Street encampment early Monday, arresting Occupy demonstrators and removing tents from a downtown plaza after issuing several warnings over the weekend.

Protesters appeared to put up little resistance, and officers could be seen calmly leading some demonstrators away in plastic handcuffs. Warnings from authorities had been similar to those issued before officers used tear gas and bean bag projectiles to clear the encampment on Oct. 25.

Officers made 32 arrests during Monday's raid, Police Chief Howard Jordan said, adding that there were no reports of injuries to officers or protesters.

After officers blocked off the streets surrounding Frank Ogawa Plaza, some demonstrators gathered near the barricades and vowed to return. By 9 a.m., however, most of the demonstrators had left the area.

"Where we go from there is up to timing and chance," said Shon Kae, who's on Occupy Oakland's media committee. "We just do what seems right at the time, and we'll roll with the punches.

"There is no secret plan. We all have to just keep on with the struggle," he said.

The action came a day after police drove hundreds of anti-Wall Street demonstrators from weeks-old encampments in Portland, arresting more than 50 people.

Oakland officials stepped up calls for an end to their city's encampment after a man was shot and killed Thursday near the plaza. Police issued a fourth cease and desist order Sunday night telling demonstrators they couldn't camp there.

Mayor Jean Quan had allowed protesters to reclaim the disbanded site after facing criticism following the Oct. 25 raid.

In his first statement since being hit in the head and seriously injured in the raid, Marine Corps veteran Scott Olsen said Monday he was feeling a lot better but still had a lot of work to do in rehab.

Olsen's plight has become a rallying cry for the Occupy Wall Street movement, with shrines set up in his honor throughout the nation.

The 24-year-old posted a statement on his Google+ account, which was verified by his roommate Keith Shannon.

"You'll be hearing more from me in the near future and soon enough we'll see you in our streets!" he wrote.

The camp grew substantially after the Oct. 25 raid, although city officials said Sunday the number of tents had dropped by about 30 to 150 since Nov. 8.

"We came to this point because Occupy Oakland, I think, began to take a different path than the original movement," Quan said. "We had to bring the camp to an end before more people got hurt."