Monday, November 7, 2011
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
LILBURN -- Fire investigators are trying to determine whether a fireplace factored into a Sunday night blaze that scorched a large Lilburn home.
The 7,800 square-foot home in the 800 block of Tom Smith Road was destroyed by the fire, which occupants reported at 11:42 p.m.
Three people sleeping inside the home were awaken by smoke and safely evacuated, the family dog in tow, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge. One occupant reported hearing smoke alarms blaring as they made their escape.
The 911 caller report a fire in the basement. The blaze extended to the attic and broke out of the roof before fire crews brought it under control, assisted by two aerial ladders, Rutledge said.
Firefighters remained at the scene throughout the night dousing hotspots. The home is considered a total loss, Rutledge said.
The exact cause remains under investigation, but residents told authorities a fire had been going in a fireplace on the main level earlier in the evening, Rutledge said.
"It's unknown at this point whether the fireplace played a role," Rutledge said early Monday.
The family -- a man, woman, their adult son and the family dog -- are displaced but did not request Red Cross assistance, Rutledge said.