Wall Street pushback surfaces in Gwinnett

About a dozen protestors affiliated with MoveOn Gwinnett picket a commercial corridor on Ga. Highway 124 in Snellville on Saturday, voicing support for Occupy efforts in New York and Atlanta.

SNELLVILLE -- Chants of "Hey hey, ho ho, corporate greed has got to go!" and similar anti-Wall Street barbs rang out Saturday morning across Scenic Highway, aimed at a Wells Fargo Bank branch and, behind that, a busy Walmart.

Sans tents, sleeping bags and clashes with police, about a dozen people associated with MoveOn Gwinnett, a nonpartisan activist organization, brought hand-scribbled signs and audible support for Occupy protestors to the suburbs, garnering honks and rah-rah enthusiasm from passersby. Most were retirees and veteran activists, abiding by the motto: "We were active in the '60s and in our 60s."

The rally marched from the bank to the Walmart on a sidewalk. No one planned to camp, or even camp out for more than an hour or so. Big picture, the goal was to encourage Gwinnettians to patronize local businesses, credits unions and local banks, said organizer Steve Toggerson, of the MoveOn group.

"This is not a simple problem, nor are there simple solutions," Toggerson said. "The phone calls, the emails are not enough anymore ... we're calling on our legislators to not be obstructionists and pass legislation to help workers."

Toggerson's husband, retired teacher Pete Toggerson, said he was inspired to rally "when I found out Bank of America didn't pay any taxes," he said.

Particularly vocal protestor Glenda Poindexter, progenitor of the "They got bailed out -- they sold us out!" chant, is employed by a "large corporation" and serves as vice president of the local arm of America's largest communications and media union, she said.

"We're out here to support Occupy efforts ... to put the banks on notice that we don't have to take it," Poindexter said. "The people have the power, and they need to just try us."

Not everyone was enamored with the protestors.

A hefty guy in a Chevy Silverado let down his window, laughed and taunted, "Look at you!"

Earlier in the morning, at a town hall meeting a few miles away in Lilburn, U.S. Congressman Rob Woodall praised the movement as an indicator of citizens' audacity and passion.

"Involvement is not the enemy of America," said Woodall, a Gwinnett resident. "Apathy is."

Comments

JHogan 2 years, 5 months ago

I fail to see anything "audacious" about speaking the truth. That's what these people are doing. The banking establishment got bailed out, then gave themselves huge bonuses, then have the real audacity to try to charge their customers for using their own money.

But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Over the past 30 years there has been a systematic transfer of wealth from the middle class to the extreme upper class, to the top 0.1% of the public. That's the top 1/10th of 1 % of the public. That group has more wealth than the entire bottom 50% of the public. This will not work.

Why does this matter? Because the US economy is based, primarily, on consumer spending. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/opinion/its-consumer-spending-stupid.html Take away the consumer spending, and the economy goes into the tank.

We need some real change in the national leadership--of both political parties-- to move the country in a new direction.

BuzzG 2 years, 5 months ago

Lobotomized George Soros troglodytes.

Cleanupguy 2 years, 5 months ago

Insightful, intellectual, reasoned and well thought out comments like this will surely sway the masses, the First Amendment to the Constitution for which I fought be darned.

nicholson 2 years, 5 months ago

When I was sitting at the intersection by the sparse handful of protesters yesterday, waiting to turn right onto Hwy 124, several of them gave me the "thumbs up" sign, I suppose wanting an endorsement of their cause. I gave them a "thumbs down" sign and one of the women (seen in the photo with the article) in the group quickly showed me her middle finger. So much for class.

jack 2 years, 5 months ago

"......with MoveOn Gwinnett, a nonpartisan activist organization, ...."

Josh Green: "nonpartisan" in a parallel universe perhaps; certainly not the one in which WE live. Maybe you meant "nonprofit"; there is a distinct difference.

Kent 2 years, 5 months ago

Rob Woodall praising this movement? Does he have a clue that this group is George Sorus, Barack Obama, left wing Marxist approved puppets? The passion these people have is to turn the capitalist based free market economy, which has made this the greatest country on the planet, into a government regulated redistribution of wealth economic system. Pardon me while I go throw up.

Jan 2 years, 5 months ago

As usual, those that do not take the time to learn the real facts resort to insults and ridicule in an attempt smear those with whom they do not want to agree.

Karl 2 years, 5 months ago

You're right Jan, that's exacly what those OWS folks are doing. They don't have the slightest idea about which they speak and resort to insults, violence and vandalism against those with whom they disagree.

majordad 2 years, 5 months ago

I am confused. Is organizer, Steve Toggerson's husband really named Pete? How can you tell? Did Glenda forget that she's employed by AT&T and is the Executive Vice-President of CWA Local 3250, and up for re-election at this time. I notice she's been careful not to combine her affiliation with MoveOn Gwinnett and her company or union in the same breath. Wonder why? Retired AT&T (the real one) Life member Retired Member Council CWA Constitutionalist

Jan 2 years, 5 months ago

I appreciate your honesty in beginning by admitting to all that you are confused. This becomes obvious beginning with the bigotry that you display questioning the proper name or relationship of the Toggerson's. Then you demonstrate a lack of understanding of the basic nature of the "Occupy" movement. It is not about individuals touting their accomplishments or attempting to control with a leadership position. Those that started the movement saw the way that right wing political pundits and politicians ruined the tea party movement by taking over and manipulating the message. For Glenda to mention her positions would have been a distraction from the message of the movement. I am sure that other marchers have equally laudable positions and yet you did not criticize them.

Karl 2 years, 5 months ago

Why is it so hard for you to answer a question, Jan?

Jan 2 years, 5 months ago

Post a serious question, without slurs and insults, and I will try to answer it in a straight forward manner. The questions majordad posed did not fall into this category. If you read his piece again, you will realize that he was not even interested in the answers but only a feeble attempt to discredit the individuals that he could identify with the movement.

tgrip 2 years, 5 months ago

JHogan, you said, "Over the past 30 years there has been a systematic transfer of wealth from the middle class to the extreme upper class, to the top 0.1% of the public. That's the top 1/10th of 1 % of the public. That group has more wealth than the entire bottom 50% of the public. This will not work."

I ask you these few questions.

1. How much does the top 1% pay in taxes? When you answer that question, you will find out that that 1% makes this country work. Litterally.

2. You talk about spending? What % do you think eats out? What % do you think pays to have their car washed? What % do you think employs workers? See, your problem is you don't understand who the 1% are how they keep this country moving. The reason this country is in trouble in the job market is because this Obama administration has put the clamps on the rich and they only want to clamp down on them more.

3. If you tax the rich more, take more out of their hands, do you think that makes them want to spend more? Eat out more? Buy more things?

4. Ask yourself these questions. If you still think the rich are the problem, then you prove my point, you don't have the mental capacity to understand commerce.

tgrip 2 years, 5 months ago

These children of Obama, also known as Occutards, are grown children pitching a fit.

I am a small business owner. I employ about 40 people. How dare I make a profit!?!? So guess what occutards, if your dear leader Obama somehow gets higher taxes put on me, do you think I am going to hire more people? Give someone else a job? No. I am going to go from 40 employees to 35. Why? Cause the government is taxing me more.

Do you not get it? The more you tax me, the more I cut people and expenses. I am not spending more money. I am going to make more money because I have to spend more taxes, I am going to drop employees and expect more from my employees that I keep.

You get it now? You are unthinking people. You have bought into your dear leader's talk of "the evil rich." One day you will realize that the rich are what makes this country go around. Keep it up occutards... hopefuly your comments and "protest" will help people realize that Obama has made a mess of this country.

Cleanupguy 2 years, 5 months ago

You might want to Google James Livingston “It’s Consumer Spending, Stupid” – a nice synopsis of what actually drives the economy. The title gives it away – it is NOT private business investment, or corporate tax levels, it’s consumer spending. I’m also a small business owner, and understanding and in applying those basic principles my business is still growing. I have also learned that the hurling of baseless insults (Hint: if you must, Bush is a much larger target – see David Stockman’s comments) does nothing to endear me to customers.

Cleanupguy 2 years, 5 months ago

No one objects to making a profit, but some might take issue with bank executives being rewarded for making high interest (their term) "ghetto loans" and such. The top 1% are only being asked to pay their fair share, which is a tad more than the 0-15% that is typical. If reduced taxes had created jobs, Reagan wouldn't have had a 10.8% unemployment rate the year after his cut, ditto Bush's. If you're interested in facts and not rhetoric, check out Reagan's OMB guy David Stockman's comments regarding the potential financial apocalypse we are facing. I fought both in and against Vietnam as well as for the First Amendment rights of the Occupiers. “To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.” - Abe Lincoln

tgrip 2 years, 5 months ago

Clean up guy, I feel sorry for you. You can play that 1982 numbers game if you want, but here is Reagan's unemployment numbers. Truth hurts.

Remember that guy named Carter... you know... cause you are a history major... yeah that guy who ruined the economy just like our dear ruler Obama. And it will take a Reagan type cut on taxes and serious cuts to spending to get this country back on track.

Here are some hard facts for ya. Suck on this for a while.

Reagan unemployment numbers:

November 1982: 10.8% July 1983: 9.5% November 1984: 7.25% August of 1987: 6.0% December 1988: 5.6%

Cleanupguy 2 years, 5 months ago

Half the facts there. As noted, unemployment peaked the year after his tax cut. Realizing that could not be sustained, he embarked on the largest expansion of the IRS since its creation. Tax revenues went UP the last seven of his eight years, and unemployment fell (as it usually does) wth that revenue. In dollars Reagan added the most to the debt, by percentage Bust the Lessor did. Ummm - Reagan also sent billions to the Mujahideen in Afghanistan, which supported Osama Bin Laden. He also sent weapons to Iran. Yup, good old Saint Reagan. Yup, Carter was a lousy Prez as well, but by comparison not by spending us to death.

Sthrnldy 2 years, 5 months ago

The big bad evil mega banks were told by the federal government to make those toxic loans to subprime customers. Yes the banks were bailed out, but the government even told the banks that were not in trouble they had to take the bailout $$. Guess what, almost everyone one of those banks have paid back the government with interest! The government had to bail them out after the complete disaster they made of the banking industry.

The top 1% already pay their "fair share", the problem is the 40% percent of American that don't pay taxes and the spending problem that the federal government has. They have more than enough money they need, but the feds consistently waste that money!

You are not intested in facts yourself, just fiction vomited out by the someone that hopes you will believe their garbage!

Cleanupguy 2 years, 5 months ago

I call BS! Evidence, please - banks were TOLD to steal from consumers, in violation of good business practices and the few existing federal guidelines at the time? Wow - that's the biggest Whopper I've seen here so far! FORCED to take money from the Feds? Could you cite some non-Fox News sources for that? In 2009 IRS data showed that 1400 of the mega-rich paid ZERO taxes, and the numbers for corporations could not be counted due to evasive methodologies. There's a handy couple of tidbits.

Cleanupguy 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow - facts aren't terribly hard to check - here's another couple. It's 47% not 40% that pay no income taxes, because they don't earn enough (for starters, around 19% are below the poverty level). Just about 100% that earn an income pay payroll taxes, however.

Cleanupguy 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh, how I dislike bloviating – here’s another. Google “Which Bank is the Worst” and you’ll find a nice summary (dated October 25) of major violations that several of the largest banks have made. Follow the trails of each and you’ll find that government action has either been taken (a $137 million fine for Bank of America rigging the municipal bond market) or is in process. Rationality should indicate that the government would not sponsor such actions then expose and punish them for it.

Sthrnldy 2 years, 5 months ago

Let them Occupy and protest all they want! The more they expose themselves, we the people that keep this country going can see that they don't have alot to say, intellectually speaking. Let them protest and speak out, I say the more .. the better! They are not getting the reaction they wanted, but that is their fault for not sending out intelligent, well spoken individuals.

Cleanupguy 2 years, 5 months ago

Given that it is their First Amendment right, and that hundreds of millions in fees have now effectively allowed to stay in our pockets as a result of their efforts in bringing attention to this issue, I could not agree more. Like the folks in this blog, there's a mix of loonies and the incredibly intelligent and passionate among the Occupiers. Many years ago public opinion was eventually swayed when we did similar things, and the Vietnam war was finally brought to an end. Ditto for MLK and countless others that cared. Again, Abe Lincoln: “To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.”

Sthrnldy 2 years, 5 months ago

@Cleanupguy You can deny and cherrypick information all you want, truth is that your mindest is the minority. What entitlements do you stand to lose if the top 1% fail to give your sugar daddy Uncle Sam (aka the federal government) more money? This is not about the have and have nots, it's about the producers and the moochers of our society. It's is crystal clear what side of the fence you have fallen over and hit your head. Did they give you kool-aid to drink while you were recovering from your fall?

Keep up the fight, the more people like you talk the better!

Cleanupguy 2 years, 5 months ago

Again, insightful, intellectual, reasoned and well thought out comments like this will surely sway the masses, the First Amendment to the Constitution for which I fought be darned. Given your preference for putting labels on things then running from realities, I'd rather continue this discourse with a house cat. Almost forgot - in the last presidential election, the greatest number of votes ever cast was - oh, never mind.

Cleanupguy 2 years, 5 months ago

This just in - I sent this out amongst my 38 business office peers (guess that would make us all producers) and 100% noticed that you actually provided no facts and did not respond to any of those given, responding only with inane dismissive insults. If I'm doing my math correctly, that's nearly a majority. Thanks for the laughter, you made our day!

Sthrnldy 2 years, 5 months ago

So Cleanupguy and his 38 janitorial-custodial-housekeeping peers are the majority in his little fantasy World. Imagine that! Keep up the delusions if that's all you have to cling to! The lowest common denominator usually sticks together, nothing suprising there!

PS Those that voted for Obama have suffered far worse economically in this recession. You are getting exactly what you deserve for your vote! I don't think I would be bragging about voting for the worst President in history.

Can't wait to see what funnies you come up with next! :)

NewsReader 2 years, 5 months ago

Sthrnldy, seriously, there's stupid and then there's Cleanupguy. Stop arguing with this imbecile. We all have to have our village idiot. He is ours. Don't run him off crying like a little school room sissy. His entertainment value alone is worth waiting for. Can't wait to see his next post...probably in an effort to discredit mine! LOL ~ go ahead...take your best shot. Please, I'm in stitches already!

Shadder 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, lets talk about village idiots. Sadly the role is already filled by someone who thank God is back in Texas and was the one that created this mess in the first place.

Jan 2 years, 5 months ago

All you have accomplished is to prove once again that if the facts do not back up someones opinion, then they can only resort to name calling. It is unfortunate that so many of you are more interested in developing more ways to insult than to attempt to learn something from the facts when they are presented. You may be "NewsReader" but you obviously cherry pick which articles you read. When someone writes something which I believe to be in error, I research before blurting the first insults that pop into my head.If you believe Cleanupguy has misstated stats, then look it up. Seems that one big dispute between the facts were unemployment under Jimmy Carter and early years of Ronald Reagan. Jimmy Carter's term ended and Reagan's began with 7.2% unemployment. In 1981, Reagan gets his first tax bill passed with massive cuts in taxes as well as many more tax incentives for business. Unemployment rose to 10.8% by the end of 1983. In 1984, the statistics would lead one to believe that employment was improving but the reason was the was data on unemployment was gathered. As people's unemployment benefits ran out they were also dropped from the count of unemployment. Results was apparent better stats but quickly increasing homeless problem. That should give you some ammunition for your insults, Please, at least try to use some originality when dreaming up your insults for me.

Kent 2 years, 5 months ago

Jan is a riot also. I don't get out often and depend on him/her for all my entertainment.

Jan 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you for proving my point that those without facts resort to insults though quite a lame one. Surely if you took a little time to think, you could come up with an insult that at least expresses some originality. Maybe you should spend a little of that time checking the facts. Too many people consider Reagan a God and tax cuts for the wealthy as the crux of his ten commandments. I've got news for you. The top 5% do not need the government bailout that the tax cuts gives them.