Norcross outscores Mountain View in regular-season finale

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Norcross and Mountain View were playing for different reasons on Friday night as the Blue Devils were hoping to tune up for the playoffs next week, while Mountain View was looking to close out its third season with a signature win.

Mountain View flirted with a season-ending win but Norcross exploded for 28 points in the second quarter en route to a 49-33 win.

The Blue Devils, which was already locked in as the No. 3 seed out of Region 7-AAAAA for the postseason, improved to 8-2 overall and 5-2 in the region. The Bears concluded the year at 3-7 overall and 2-5 in region play.

"I knew (Mountain View) wouldn't quit," Norcross head coach Keith Maloof said. "They've played well all year against good teams and we knew they were going to do that tonight. I thought we did some good things at times, especially on defense. It's not quite the script I wanted to follow but we did OK."

Norcross running back Alvin Kamara led the ground game with 136 yards on 13 carries and two TDs in three quarters of play.

Quarterback Justin Wilber also tossed two TD passes, but a stretch of 21 points in a three-minute span during the second period put the Blue Devils in control for good.

Early in the second period, Mountain View's Frederick Hill scored on a 12-yard pass from Chris Bartlett to tie the score at 14.

On the ensuing possession, Norcross went 70 yards in just three plays, capping it off on a 10-yard TD run from Kamara.

Norcross' defense then provided the next two scores, getting a 36-yard interception return from Anthony Autry and a 27-yard interception score from Martavius Edwards.

Those three scores occured less than three minutes apart, giving the Blue Devils plenty of cushion with a 35-21 lead.

"We fought hard tonight but made too many mistakes and gave Norcross too many chances," Mountain View head coach Tim Hardy said. "Our guys were great this year and fought hard all season. We were tough physically and mentally and no one can argue that."

After giving up those quick 21 points, Mountain View answered when Bartlett scored on a 1-yard run to get the Bears back in the game at 35-28, but Norcross came right back, scoring again when Wilber hit Jason Croom on a 21-yard scoring pass.

Wilber finished the night with 141 yards on 6 of 9 passes and two TDs. His other TD pass was a beautiful 43-yard hook up with Anthony Autry for Norcross' first points of the game.

Bartlett also turned in good numbers for Mountain View with 140 yards passing and one TD on 10 of 21 attempts. However, he was intercepted three times, two of which led to Norcross touchdowns.

Bartlett offset those turnovers with three rushing TDs, finishing the night with 40 yards on 14 carries. Leading rusher for Mountain View was Marvin Elam, who totaled 83 yards on 22 carries.

Norcross will begin its postseason next Friday the same way it opened the regular season with a game at Dacula. Norcross took the opener with a 35-7 rout of Dacula, but coach Maloof knows that the outcome of that game holds little meaning now.

"Everybody is 0-0 right now, and that's all that matters." Maloof said. "Dacula is a lot better now and is playing with a lot of confidence. It's going to be a great high school football game."