LETTERS: E-SPLOST vote will keep GCPS system world class

On Tuesday voters will decide whether to extend the most important Education SPLOST penny sales tax, which will continue to provide new classroom construction, transportation improvements and technology upgrades for Gwinnett's world-class public school system. E-SPLOST IV, if extended, is expected to generate greater than $875 million in revenues over the next five years to construct five new schools, 500 classrooms and numerous earmarked education enhancements.

During the past 15 years, E-SPLOST programs have successfully funded the new construction of 46 Gwinnett area schools. However, unlike previous extensions, E-SPLOST IV will expend up to 50 percent of the collected revenue toward digital technology upgrades like eCLASS, which will significantly reduce the need and cost for textbooks. The continuance of this penny tax is critical for maintaining the legacy of academic excellence in our county's outstanding public school district.

From a business perspective, Gwinnett County Public Schools is often the crown jewel and cornerstone for attracting new industry and higher paying jobs to our community, which affords the area an enhanced quality of life. Please vote yes in Tuesday's referendum to demonstrate that Gwinnett Kids do Count.

-- Bill Russell,

Duluth

Comments

JV 3 years ago

Vote NO to anymore SPLOST! We are not alone with this attititude.

Colorado Voters Reject Tax and Spending Initiatives - Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011 By Greg McDonald

Colorado voters Tuesday rejected tax hikes and spending initiatives all across the state in what some political experts said could be a snapshot of what the mood of voters may be as the country moves into the 2012 election season. According to the Denver Post, which described the election as “a killing field for tax measures,” voters from Denver and the more liberal Boulder area — to even the remotest counties — rejected tax hikes to support schools, recreation centers, libraries, and other public-infrastructure projects. “This election is overwhelmingly being framed by this economy,” political analyst Floyd Ciruli told the Post. “Clearly, the issues that are framing this are jobs and the economy and taxes.”

ssilover1 3 years ago

This is not Denver. THINK and prepare, JV. Be informed as to GC....really INFORMED. Use the resources available to you at Gwinnett Kids Count.

lerwin 3 years ago

On, Tuesday, November 8, I will vote NO for E-Splost because of IE2.....for it IS really about the children! The goals that GCPS have set for our children through the IE2 contracts are discriminatory and frankly appalling....but for you to find any of this out you need to look for yourself to media outside of Gwinnett. Take the time to investigate for yourself, don't just read the local newspapers who share only one side. If I can’t trust GCPS to care about all students’ achievement, then I won’t trust them with my money. I will continue to support my school through the PTA for projects that truly help raise student achievement.

ssilover1 3 years ago

Sorry, lerwin, but you are waaayyyy out there. What a baseless argument to promote a vote that will harm kids. IE2 is one of the vehicles that GCPS can use to meet the needs of all kids. Maybe you don't like some of the adjustments (class size for gifted or special ed.) or other efforts the district takes to keep the classroom environment strong, but you have NO idea how dad gum hard the teachers work to meet the needs of all. Student achievement is the one and only priority. So, readers, pls. know that lerwin must have a personal agenda or beef. If GCPS is ANYTHING, it is NOT discriminatory. ESPLOST will help us create classrooms that target every child's instructional needs and will enable teachers to utilize technology in creative and engaging ways.

lerwin 3 years ago

ssilover....have you personally seen your school's IE2 contract? Ask your principal to show it to you...and then see who is waaayyyy out there. I have looked at them so I know it isn't me on this one. If you don't believe me go to WSBTV.com and google the feds-investigate-civil rights-claim-against-gwinnett. And, I said nothing about teachers not working hard....they work very hard, I have many friends who are teachers...

chuckling 3 years ago

OK... this is too good to pass up.. Hey there lerwin. Learn to use ( at least ) the internet and web pages ( these are the BASICS ) it's called a SEARCH not google (sic). GOOGLE is a web site...as in www.google.com. But you still need to actually search there as well.

Oh and without reading my EDUCATED mind tells me the ( one and ) only reason this type of thing made the radar... RACE.

Good luck with that one.

Here is my recommendation. Don't like our county? MOVE. I'll help load your moving truck.