Fireplace ashes blamed in blaze

DULUTH -- Investigators believe improperly discarded fireplaces ashes are to blame in a Friday morning blaze that damaged a Duluth home in the 2600 block of Davenport Park Drive.

A neighbor reported the fire about 11 a.m. at the two-story home. Crews swept the home for victims and knocked the fire down in less than 30 minutes, Fire Department spokesman Lt. Eric Eberly said.

No injuries were reported. One resident was displaced, but he declined Red Cross assistance, Eberly said.

"Investigators have listed the cause as accidental from improperly discarded ashes from the fireplace," he said.

The residence sustained significant damage to a great room and its rear exterior, Eberly said.