Lions' second-half rally comes up shy

Staff Photo: Jason Braverman<br> Walton's Jack Chase (25) gets hit by Peachtree Ridge's Michael Ruffcorn during the first half of Saturday's state quarterfinal playoff game.

Staff Photo: Jason Braverman
Walton's Jack Chase (25) gets hit by Peachtree Ridge's Michael Ruffcorn during the first half of Saturday's state quarterfinal playoff game.

SUWANEE -- A furious second-half rally wasn't enough as the Peachtree Ridge boys lacrosse team fell 11-7 to Walton in the Class AAAAA quarterfinals Saturday afternoon. The most successful team in Gwinnett County Public School history thus far ended its season at 15-5.

The third-ranked Raiders (16-3) unleashed an offensive barrage from the opening whistle. Walton's Ned Kaish was unstoppable, recording five goals and an assist. A little more than a minute into the game, Kaish passed to a cutting Matt Morabito on the right side and the junior found the back of the net giving the visitors a 1-0 lead. Less than a minute later, Kaish was on the receiving end of a pass from Alex Cagle and the senior sliced through the middle of the Ridge defense and scored.

The Lions answered at 9:35 when Michael Ruffcorn took a pass from Cory Hall and beat Walton goalie Michael Harper, cutting the Walton lead to 2-1.

The Raiders responded with six unanswered goals. Walton's Orrin Whittaker found Cagle behind the Lions' defense and Cagle raised the Walton lead to 3-1 at the 5:21 mark of the first quarter. With 1:49 remaining in the opening quarter, Kaish circled from behind the Ridge goal and his cross-body shot scored to give the Raiders a 4-1 lead after the first quarter.

The second quarter was all Walton, as the sixth-ranked Lions were unable to stop the attack. With Hall off for a slashing penalty and the Lions a man down, Whittaker made the score 5-1 at 10:42 when he scooped up a ground ball after an errant clearing attempt by Peachtree Ridge and buried his shot in the back of the net.

The teams traded possessions until the 4:38 mark when Morabito found an open Joe Cherof in the center and the junior's goal increased the Raider lead to 6-1. Just 22 seconds later, Kaish again circled from behind the net and was able to score to increase the advantage to 7-1. With 30 seconds left, Cherof ducked under a check attempt of a Lion defender and bounced his shot into the net to make the score 8-1 at half.

The Lions refused to quit and mounted a rally in the third quarter. Ruffcorn was the catalyst as the junior carried the ball down the right side and found Steven Lee with a pass which the freshman converted at 8:29, cutting the lead to 8-2. At 7:26, Ruffcorn scored on a left-handed shot and the score was 8-3. At 4:34, Ruffcorn curled around the left side from behind the net and his goal cut the Walton lead to 8-4 heading into the final quarter.

The rally was derailed at 11:00 when Kaish again came from behind the net and this time his underhand shot upped the lead to 9-4. With 9:57 left Walton increased the lead to 10-4 on a goal by Cagle.

The Lions responded with a furious three-goal rally as Jacob Lee, Tyler Fortier and Hall scored to make the score 10-7 with 4:25 left. However, Walton was able to drain most of the remaining time with possession before Kaish iced the game with his fifth goal with 30 seconds left.

If you are having problems viewing this slide show, click here